Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ill keep it short msd digital 6 plus blaster 2 coil msd billet distributor on a carburated car. i put the distributor in the car it will not fire . pull the distributor out and spin it by hand works perfect. im using the coil wire grounding to the motor to check fire. i assume the signal comeing out of distributor is being grounded instead of going back to msd box to fire the coil. when its installed. but why and how can i fix this
thanks

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i changed the pickup 2 times this weekend trying to get this thing to work wires are fine. checked that to i did the restance test found the same article with the same pic. you posted. i am getting a diffrent restiance reading about 250 to 300 with all 3 of the pick ups in my garage i couldnt get what msd said it should be. they all seem to be fine when when the distributor is out of the block ive tried all three trying to get diffrent results. all the same great fire. in the block nothing. at this point id try jumping up and down eating onions if i thought it would work
thanks brian

·
Registered
397 Posts
Have you tried another battery in the car and also have you taken the plugs out of the motor and spun it over to check for spark? Be curious to know if spinning it a little faster with the plugs out would give you a different result.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah tried another battery just because i had it sitting around. no i diten pull the plugs and try it. i quit turning the motor over with key a little bit ago. its a new buid i dont want to remove all my asslembly lube. ive just been installing the distrubitor and spinning the housing around. and ive tried it cranking it over a few more times just for the hell of it. this car was running flawless 3 months ago all electronics the same just new motor
thanks guys keep the ideas coming

·
Registered
32,418 Posts
Have you confirmed there is power to the small red wire to the MSD box when the engine is cranking? :smt102

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yeah tried that 10.2 volts when cranking 12.3 when not. even by passed my switch directly to batt. still nothing
thanks

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Only time I have seen that ...is when the 8860 harness...the crimp on one of the pins had a little strand of wire that was touching them together,( the green and purple) ...put a different cable on..and it fired...

starting cutting in the harness and found that problem at the connectors.

·
SMOKED IT
3,964 Posts
Is the block grounded? Had this issue, similar problem. Forgot to ground the block to the firewall.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes block is grounded solid motor mounts plus large cave from the block to the frame. Guess ill start pulling harness apart a little more already dug in their a little bit
thanks everyone

·
Registered
200 Posts
chaos

Have seen this a couple of times in the shop. Pull the Dist cap off and get a light on the sensor itself. What your looking for if its there is one of the wires from the sensor has bare wire rubbing up against the Dist housing. Long as the case of the dist never touches chassis ground it will send out the signal. Soon as the dist is mounted you will end up grounding out the trigger signal before it reaches the MSD box. The wire can be frayed any were along the inside the Dist & still cause the issue. I hope this helps! :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I would like to get it running so I can see if it is slow I would be careful with your words though. You have been known to shit and step in it. I know its not the wires grounding in the distributor ive changed the pickup many times. The box is mounted in the trunk about 9 feet away maybe that ??
Thanks for the replies

·
TURBOBULLET.COM BITCHES!
6,046 Posts
Digital 6 grounded and powered straight to the battery? Those boxes go bad like hips on old people. The box is 9 feet away? With the wiring following the route of the car I'll bet it's actually further than that if it's in the trunk... I'm not sure, cause I always mount them up front and close, but it could have something to do with it. I'll bet the box is bad.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Ok I figured it out. Ive got to spin this motor over 100mph to get the distributor to send a signal to the msd. If I put the battery charger on start mode with a fully charged battery. It starts first hit.if it doesn't start in the first few cranks.forget it I moved the msd within 4feet of the distributor. I need to get the engine spinning faster somehow. Or to get the dam distributor to fine at a slower cranking speed.I have had many cars that crank at the speed this motor does no problem. But this old bitch wants to be spun like irs got a 16system volt system in it . HELP

·
Registered
32,418 Posts
How much clearance is there between the ends of the reluctor blades and the pole piece in the center of the pickup winding? The closer it is the higher voltage the pulse of the signal will be. I just measured a MSD billet distributor and the tooth clearance on it is .040” but some are more or less. It really shouldn’t make much difference, the reason Ford designed the reluctor teeth and pickup pole piece with large blunt ends was to make the trigger less sensitive to clearance. The Chrysler type with the narrow teeth is much more sensitive to gap clearance and must be adjusted to (I think) .008”.

That’s what the brass feeler gauges in some feeler gauge sets are for, adjusting Mopar distributor reluctor clearance. Because they are not magnetic it’s easier to feel the measurement.

Check the extension cord from the distributor to the box with your ohmmeter. There should be no resistance at all, maybe one tenth OHM. There should be infinite resistance between the two wires, in other words, no connection at all.

If the magnet is cracked, that ain’t good.

Make sure the blade in the center of the rotor is touching the carbon button in the center of the distributor cap.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts