Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read this post on a benchrest shooter's board this morning, and it's been bugging me all day long! There's a guy that shoots benchrest, and he was ragging varmit shooters pretty bad. Saying that there's no way a guy with a factory (or a modded factory rifle) could shoot consistently .50" groups one right after another. The more I thought about this, the more I realized the guy was a complete idiot! Then he says that maybe somebody with a Cooper might have a slight chance (very slight according to him). But to add to this he starts in on the 200 yard range saying that 1.5" was about the best a guy could hope for. Now I've personally seen dozens of people shoot sub half inch five shot groups, and a few that would hit the low threes and even a couple that would do high twos on a perfect day.

I wonder how many times he's gonna have to eat his words!
gary

·
Registered
3,885 Posts
Even I can do that easily while shooting off the top of a tractor tire.

·
102,312 Posts
200 yards 1.5 to 2 inch group? Hell a Marine recruit with a 20 year old M16A2 could do that.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
My 5R is stock and will shoot .5-.6" groups with factory ammo all day long. I'm sure even better with handloads, he's a moron who thinks his shit is better than everyone elses.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
200 yards 1.5 to 2 inch group? Hell a Marine recruit with a 20 year old M16A2 could do that.
I going down to the range later in the week armed with a dozen or so five shot targets. I'll take little boy and maybe swap barrels on one of my Savages to shoot the 6mm/250ai. Got a couple tubs of 6mm and .223 bench rest quality bullets a guy gave me for grind him a couple oddball reamers (I told him I'd do them for nothing, but he wasn't having that). Then after getting that part done I'll go down south a 250 yard range and do the samething all over again.
gary

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My 5R is stock and will shoot .5-.6" groups with factory ammo all day long. I'm sure even better with handloads, he's a moron who thinks his shit is better than everyone elses.
I think the guy has overloaded his ass with his mouth! I've seen many varmit rigs that will print round after round in the size of a dime effortlessly (more than one brand as well). Hell I had one 22-250 that was a high twos gun day in and day out, and every now and then would do 3/16" groups. My .223 VS is a solid .48" gun with junk cases and an even junkier barrel (I now have three hundred Norma N.M. cases to play with!). I've seen more than one .308 Remington shoot high three's out of the box (most won't). But he seems to want to talk longer ranges, and there's where the varmit rig shines. I've seen more than one print nearly the same at 300 yards as they did at 150 yards.
gary

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That's a pretty bold (and arrogant) statement. I have saw a few rifles that could do it.

Is he allowing cool down time between groups?
I'd have to assume he is, as that's the way bench resters do. He even went so far as to tell everybody to put their wind flags out! The guy's gonna be eating a lot of crow this summer!

gary

·
Registered
730 Posts
Or mabey this person don't know what the hell there talking bout. Sounds like it's time for a friendly wager.

·
Registered
7,325 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Or mabey this person don't know what the hell there talking bout. Sounds like it's time for a friendly wager.
he's a classic bench rest shooter that typically likes to look down on every other shooter while his nose is rubbing the ceiling.
gary

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
he's a classic bench rest shooter that typically likes to look down on every other shooter while his nose is rubbing the ceiling.
gary
Tell him to come down to Quantico for an F-Class shoot and bring his bench if he wants. Plenty of us shoot factory guns down there. :)

·
Registered
449 Posts
sounds like he is just looking to argue.:smt084 and if he believes this he hasn't spent much time at the range.;) he needs to pic up a shooting mag with gun revues in them. most are shot with box ammo too. shit i have a gun safe full of them.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
678 Posts
I am the senior chief range safety officer at the state game for my gun club and well we do run the bench rest shoot at 200 yards. I have met some very good people and some that I would give bumper rides to. The good ones are great to have around, the not so good ones are a pain in the ass, an the ones, who bitch the mostly about their scores and how the scorer's counted the shots. Never happy about anything which then comes to me. I am the judge at the match if there is a problem. They shoot "out of the box" and custom in weight classes: light, medium, heavy and unlimited. The out of box class is what it is. The rifles are basically good hunting rifles with nice target scopes and custom handloads. Most will be .075" or less depending on the shooter's skill. That's why scoring targets is a tuff job, one hole with 5 rounds throw it. A skill shooter with alittle time to work the rifle ( practice and work up a load) can shoot a box stock rifle as good as a custom built one. Some of my (hunting rifles) would do very good at a benchrest match. Depending on the rules about scope magnification. Shooting dogs or varmits at various ranges (unknown) from the prone is harder then sitting on your ass at a bench under a overhead cover at a known distance with your wind flags and direction pointers helping you set your shot. I wouldn't get too upset with this person, why waste your time, it's better to enjoy horing your skills at the range. I would rather hunt in the woods then punch paper if there is a choice.

·
Bovine Scatologist
17,834 Posts
I read this post on a benchrest shooter's board this morning, and it's been bugging me all day long! There's a guy that shoots benchrest, and he was ragging varmit shooters pretty bad. Saying that there's no way a guy with a factory (or a modded factory rifle) could shoot consistently .50" groups one right after another. The more I thought about this, the more I realized the guy was a complete idiot! Then he says that maybe somebody with a Cooper might have a slight chance (very slight according to him). But to add to this he starts in on the 200 yard range saying that 1.5" was about the best a guy could hope for. Now I've personally seen dozens of people shoot sub half inch five shot groups, and a few that would hit the low threes and even a couple that would do high twos on a perfect day.

I wonder how many times he's gonna have to eat his words!
gary
.5" or better at 200 yards?

I am in no way an expert, but from what I have read and what I have seen it is tough, but very possible.

I was happy with my 1/4"- 3/8"" center to center at 65 yards :eek:

99% of my shooting will be from the truck, or leaning against a tree, or fencepost, etc. With a rest like that, 1/4" or 1" really doesn't matter.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts