Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
Die grinder with 3 or 4" cut off wheel. 1/2 to large tube barely needs a notch, but 1/2 to 1/2 needs the whole notch cut. Be sure to blow the dust from cutting out of the tube if you use any type of grinding wheel before you weld.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
It depends on what size tube you are going to join the 1/2" to.If this is a helmet bar or something thats going to hit 1 5/8" tube, I just use a 1 1/2" sanding tube on a air die grinder, you don't have to go too deep to get a good fit.

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
endmill if it,s a 1/2" cope to fit a 1/2" tube , one could find a 1/2" rattail file and file the cope as well

·
Registered
3,823 Posts
I've got a small fixture for the 1/2" and 5/8" I made for my Bridgeport and use a roughing endmill.

·
Registered
6,311 Posts
I just use a sand roll or a half round file to fit it to larger tubing. I use a rat tail file for going to the same size. Not sure what you're doing but I've not had to do this but a couple times Thankfully....LOL

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replys guys. And yea, I'm not setup with a bridgeport or anything like that, so the endmill isn't an option. I guess I was looking for some ingenious way of doing this other than with the grinder.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Belt sander always works well, and you can rough it with a pair of shears, just nip a little V out so it wears the belt a little bit less.

If you're not sure how to notch with a belt sander, Youtube it. Hard to go wrong once you get the hang of it, even with a full shop with 2 bridgeports and 2 Mittler Bros tubing notchers, I still notch anything small or anything thin walled on a belt sander.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
I have to get out more. My belt sander has about a 3" roller that the belt rides on; on each end. I've never seen one with a 1/2 roller on the end so you could do a cope to fit 1/2 tube to 1/2. With my body shop back ground, body guys use the cutoff wheel all the time. After awhile you get very proficient with it. Looks like I have to find better shears also.

·
7.86 @ 8800DA 3365lb 275s
4,502 Posts
I have to get out more. My belt sander has about a 3" roller that the belt rides on; on each end. I've never seen one with a 1/2 roller on the end so you could do a cope to fit 1/2 tube to 1/2. With my body shop back ground, body guys use the cutoff wheel all the time. After awhile you get very proficient with it. Looks like I have to find better shears also.
mine has about a 3" roller on one end and about a 4 or 5" roller on the other. when your doing small stuff like that you just have the tube at more of an angle. it works well i do a bunch of 1" and 1 1/4" on mine all the time and those are going to 1" and 1 1/4". you don't have to do the notch straight on to the belt.

·
Registered
3,031 Posts
mine has about a 3" roller on one end and about a 4 or 5" roller on the other. when your doing small stuff like that you just have the tube at more of an angle. it works well i do a bunch of 1" and 1 1/4" on mine all the time and those are going to 1" and 1 1/4". you don't have to do the notch straight on to the belt.
That makes sense. What about 1/2 to fit 1/2 tube on the belt sander?

·
Registered
3,823 Posts

·
Registered
7,489 Posts
Endmill!!! If he had one I'm sure he wouldn't be asking this! ..I use a hand grinder and notch the tube in about 4 seconds
he asked how everyone does the procedure did he not ?? i use a endmill or a large rattail file if you choose to use a grinder more power to you

1 - 20 of 20 Posts