Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 112 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got this from another site

July 16, 2008 It is with great regret that NOPI Motorsports, LLC has suspended operations for the summer and fall 2008. This will include NOPI Drag Racing Series, NOPI Drift Series and the NOPI NATIONALS Motorsports Supershow. The company is undergoing an organizational restructuring in light of severe adverse affects of a disappointing spring season. The economy and unfavorable weather resulted in underperformance of all spring events. Michael Meyers, president of NOPI Motorsports, reports that NOPI Motorsports is working with its clients and sponsors to minimize the uncertainty going forward. This is a reflection of the economic times in which we currently live. The countrywide economic and industry downturn has caused a slowdown and tightening of belts. This affects everyone and companies, at all levels, and NOPI Motorsports is no different.

We understand the position this puts everyone in and we hope you can find in your heart to work with us through this terrible time. All of you are our friends and we have felt for many years that we were all a big family.
NOPI Motorsports hates this more than anyone as the many years of hard work, tradition and an industry we helped to shape would come to this. Please watch nopi.com for future announcements.

·
Registered
4,375 Posts
Me!

·
Registered
6 Posts
WSC/WFC. That is a good quality organization...:-Shower

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
NOPI was on its way out at the end of the year last year. Id put more blame on them then the economy.
BOOYAH. I said that at the end of the season last year. Its sad for all the guys who've poured their hearts into some serious race cars. Some see tragedy, I personally see oportunity....

·
Registered
17,322 Posts
BOOYAH. I said that at the end of the season last year. Its sad for all the guys who've poured their hearts into some serious race cars. Some see tragedy, I personally see oportunity....
It really became evident when they couldnt get a phucking rulebook out till what the end of March? Not to mention killing off the drag radial class. Blah this is why my import got parked in a storage unit and I bought a Mustang. Somebody let me know when someone with a brain puts together an import race series (that doesnt just run mainly in NJ) ill put a car together.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Well nothing against the import guys, but now if they run in a different series, are we gonna have to bend our existing rules to accommidate their cars?

·
Registered
7,376 Posts
nobody should be surprised. to the automotive industry, sport compacts are a fad. fads come on hard and go just as fast. the mistake was thinking that enough import racers would remain after a few years to necessitate having their own sanctioning body.

the best part will be no more new episodes of tunervision.

·
Registered
17,322 Posts
There are enough import races to justify its own sanctioning body. Now what there is not enough of is guys who seriously want to race heads up.

·
Smoke Em if you got Em
12,831 Posts
It really became evident when they couldnt get a phucking rulebook out till what the end of March? Not to mention killing off the drag radial class. Blah this is why my import got parked in a storage unit and I bought a Mustang. Somebody let me know when someone with a brain puts together an import race series (that doesnt just run mainly in NJ) ill put a car together.
BOTI

·
Registered
425 Posts
THE NOPI DEAL ACTUALLY DIED BACK IN THE END OF MAY-FIRST OF JUNE TIME FRAME. A GOOD FRIEND OF MINE WHO I RACE WITH ACTUALLY MAKES ALL THE TROPIES, BANNERS, ETC... FOR NOPI...THEY CALLED HIM AT THE END OF MAY OR SO AND SAID HOLD UP ON EVERYTHING...."WE ARE CANCELLING ALL REAMINING SHOWS AS OF NOW FOR 2008" WELL, THAT REALLY SUCKS AS THEY ARE INTO HIM FOR 20 GRAND OF MERCHANDISE....I GUESS WITH THE HIGH COST OF EXPORTING FROM CHINA, NOPI COULDNT GET ENOUGH RICE TO CONTINUE ITS EVENTS! I KNOW THAT IS CRUEL, BUT I AM OLD SCHOOL, GOOD OLE AMERICAN HOT RODS!

·
Registered
562 Posts
Well, the only surprise I have is how quickly it collapsed. NHRA Sport Compact folded at the end of last season and supposedly NOPI acquired the "assets" which evidently didn't prove to be much.

It's a shame, because there were some really, really good racers (both FWD and RWD) and some really outstanding cars. I really respected them because they didn't build their cars with off-the-shelf parts like it was a Mustang. Driving a FWD car to 7.40 timeslips at over 200mph was also once hell of a driving job. Anyone who's knowledgeable would have to tip their hat to the Sport Compact guys.

It was also a pretty good show overall without the peaks & valleys that a normal race has when everybody exits the stands after the fast cars fun. Their live music shows were great and the NOPI chic's gave me a lot of photos that will never see the light of day.

I think the beginning of the end actually came much earlier that what you guys say. When they brought in domestics, it was a sure sign that the series couldn't support itself the way ot was.

As far as failed race organizations go, that's actually 5 within the last 12 months. They are B&M Racer Appreciation series, NHRA Sport Compact, NSCA, IROC and now NOPI. You could even arguably saw it's more than that since IRL and USAC merged.

1 - 20 of 112 Posts