Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep seeing cars and motorcycles listed for sale with no title. I can understand the reasons: did not pay taxes; bought from a Pay on the Lot and stopped making payments; previous seller failed to give you a title and mileage is through the roof so you “lost the title”.
What I can’t understand is why the advertised price is full retail. That’s insane!
There needs to be a basic rule that “No Title” means 50% off what the vehicle would normally sell for.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
In Oklahoma a salvage yard can't even buy it without a title. Even for crusher cars.

·
Registered
10,090 Posts
Indiana made it difficult this year. Can't sell to scrap yard if title's not in your name. Have to do a bunch of paper work I hear. Have an 87 tbird I bought for scrap/parts that luckily was my son in laws, now to get the engine out and get him over here when they come to scrap it.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Some states do not issue titles for older cars. Massachusetts, where I am from needs titles period. I bought 2 cars from surrounding states without titles. I had to get the precious registrations from the sellers. I take these registrations to the Massachusetts RMV and file for a title and pay the new title fee and sales tax. The RMV will issue me a new title and allow me to register the vehicle. I now have titles for these vehicles.

·
Registered
a whole lot of fords.
372 Posts
joisey will not recognize registration or bill of sale. must be title.
years ago i used to get falcons from nu yawk with registration, and had to get a title from Broadway Titles in Birmingham Ala.
they are now in Bangor Maine.
i have not used them in 20 years, after joisey stopped accepting titles from Alabama due to all the stolen cars with broadway titles.

·
Registered
7,757 Posts
Here to scrap without a title you need paper work from local sheriff or Hi-way patrol. Got a few I am scrapping next week one has open title so no problem there, one has a printed name on the title but they will take it at the lower rate. The rate is $155 a ton complete with title, and $130 a ton for a car without cat and battery with tittle or local sheriff paper work. $190 without title but, 5 day waiting period. I got paper work already so would not have any problems.

·
Registered
9,659 Posts
I scrapped about 20 cars in 2008 and they required titles. I had bought some cars for parts and didn’t get titles, but had the cars for 5-10 years. The first couple loads I took (6 cars stacked on a Tri axle trailer with roofs flattened) they never checked Vins. So the last loads I gave thematic few titles that didn’t match the cars and they never looked. This was a large multi state scrap company.

·
Registered
4,543 Posts
In Oklahoma a salvage yard can't even buy it without a title. Even for crusher cars.
I guess maybe the tow company that picked up my burnt up S10 in Guthrie on the side of I35 got a letter from DPS or something. I never gave him the title. He just asked me if I wanted it back and I said no and he said not to worry about a tow bill and he would take care of it. Vin came back salvaged/scrapped/destroyed about a year later when I checked on it. That truck wasn't going anywhere haha. The fire melted the wheels off and it was sitting on the frame. The Guthrie fire department did bill me $880 for responding outside of the city limits. That sucked.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Impound vehicles fall under different laws. My buddy that owned a salvage yard bought lots of crusher cars ftom individuals, but had to have titles. Bought impound vehicles also. impoud yard provided what ever paperwork neccesary for him. you should have been notified they had your pu. Gave you the oppertunity to get it back.

·
T/S 368E
35,352 Posts

There is absolutely no reason to even consider a no title vehicle that isn't a tube chassis race car.

The thing is stolen or some other scheme.
I lost a title, it was cheap & easy to replace.

I know some of you have said there is no title in your state, or for real old vehicles.
You bet your ass I would investigate that fully before handing over cash for a vehicle you can't prove you own!!!

A buddy just went through this with a race motorcycle, and if the cop wasn't a gear head, we could still be rotting in jail.
We had no proof, the seller had no proof and the vin came back stolen!!!
Thankfully he typed in a wrong digit, and when I asked him to check again, it came back clean.

·
Registered
40,884 Posts
There is absolutely no reason to even consider a no title vehicle that isn't a tube chassis race car.

That happens of course but what we often see is lost-title vehicles - quite common - where the RO has either passed away or moved off and there's no way to contact them....so their next of kin just sells the car minus the title. If there's no active lien and the car isn't on a hot sheet somewhere, a bonded title is doable although it costs a few hundred bucks, takes some time and normally requires either a DMV or a Sheriff's Office physical inspection.

People who hold open titles assigned to them but never registered are the biggest pain in the ass. It'll require the original seller to either fill out an affidavit negating the reassignment (legal - but good luck) or require the new owner to register it anyway. That, or just sell it without a title and let the new owner jack with getting a bonded one.

There isn't a street legal car out there worth having with one of these fucked up or missing titles that can't be alleviated with a legitimate bonded title. Just pass it. Like a city bus, wait and there'll be another that will come along shortly.

·
Registered
21,626 Posts

I know some of you have said there is no title in your state, or for real old vehicles.
You bet your ass I would investigate that fully before handing over cash for a vehicle you can't prove you own!!!

A buddy just went through this with a race motorcycle, and if the cop wasn't a gear head, we could still be rotting in jail.
We had no proof, the seller had no proof and the vin came back stolen!!!
Thankfully he typed in a wrong digit, and when I asked him to check again, it came back clean.

So the VIN didn't come back stolen, it was mistyped. Totally changes the story. You wouldn't be in jail.

·
T/S 368E
35,352 Posts
So the VIN didn't come back stolen, it was mistyped. Totally changes the story. You wouldn't be in jail.
If I didn’t ask please run it again he was absolutely bringing us in.
plus in Illinois you don’t need lights on a lawnmower trailer, in Indiana you do.
so he had us on that also.

·
Registered
22,143 Posts
At least in Washington State, there is a big difference in a old car (say 1920’s-1940’s) without a title than a 60’s plus. I see titles swapped to the old stuff rather often. Not that I agree with the practice. The Ford model A people do it a lot.

·
Super Moderator
49,514 Posts
In Rhode Island, no vehicle 2001 and older needs a title. So when we sell to someone from out of state, usually a previous registration and a Bill of Sale is sufficient for the new owner to apply for a title in their state. But there is a form our DMV gives out stating that RI does not require titles prior to 2001, that can accompany those documents I just mentioned.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts