Yellow Bullet Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
14,549 Posts
I really appreciate you letting me know about that because I did not realize they were as reasonably priced as they are. If I can move money around enough that will be my first upgrade. The last thing I want to worry about is the bottom end of this thing.
Don't get caught up in the whole "billet" thing and don't waste an extra penny on a billet crank. The word "billet" is probably the most whored out and misused word in our industry. JMO...

·
Registered
403 Posts
I'd be interested in a little writeup on how you like/dislike aspects of this platform (within stated budget) vs you other BB projects- not really looking for ford vs gm, more on durability and stretching your customers buck. Maybe when you see it running, how things might have been different.

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Don't get caught up in the whole "billet" thing and don't waste an extra penny on a billet crank. The word "billet" is probably the most whored out and misused word in our industry. JMO...
Scott, I have my Ohio BILLET sitting at there shop right now waiting for the bob weight to balance it. I did a bunch of research and talking to many big engine builders about this BEFORE I bought. Only reason it`s this late is they didn`t have and stock on my stroke till about a week ago.

Maybe the Compstar is every bit as good, maybe it isn`t. Just with my stuff, when your talking 5.0 or 5.3 strokes, the crank manufacturers dwindle. So I was looking for a good respectable crank that wasn`t $4,000. I know that for a fact, the standard Scat lightweight crank will live over 1300Hp. My motor MADE over 1400Hp on motor, and the heads are of to Slick Rick as we speak to get a bunch more.

Now if it was a race only deal, then would have probably went up to Winburg. But it`s a streetcar first and foremost. Once it reaches MY goal, I might never take it back to the track, or maybe a 1 or twice a yr. I spoke to many that HAVE run these over 5.0 stoke crank and they stood up well and worked, so hopefully I too have some luck and success.

HELL I know of some nostalgia top fuel guys that run OEM (filled) block and OEM cranks for 5 second 1/4 miles. Not sure I`m that crazy, but seen it done and they seem to run those combo for a year or more.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I'd be interested in a little writeup on how you like/dislike aspects of this platform (within stated budget) vs you other BB projects- not really looking for ford vs gm, more on durability and stretching your customers buck. Maybe when you see it running, how things might have been different.
I can tell you right off hand the 10.300 deck height and strength of the factory BBF blocks is a godsend for sub-1000hp builds. Saves a lot of money right from the get go and I have personally run them unfilled, 2 bolt main, straight from the factory to 1000hp. I won't lie and pretend it's no problem, but with maintenance they can be reliable there. Once you get into the aftermarket I find the prices are pretty much the same for quality parts, but the selection for the BBC is wayy better. The amount of head options for a BBC is almost frustrating when trying to decide what to run. There is also a lot more good info out there about the BBC than the BBF (also bad info). I think the BBF is gaining in popularity a little but it will never be what the BBC is. I like to be the underdog though. I don't have much experience with the big block mopar stuff so I won't comment.

·
Long Live The King
97,180 Posts
True, but isn't 980hp from a 598 kinda lame from a race bullet? Maybe that's just me.
Depends ....

Depends on heads, cam ( rpm range), compression and induction used.

for an engine that can run pass after pass at lower rpms, it just might be what someone ordered.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts