Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TH400 with about 30 passes & reverse is slipping enough that it wont move the car. last time at the track it worked fine even with the trans brake. went to load car & when cold it took a few seconds to engage but worked. went to unload the car & it wouldnt even move the car out of the trailer. you can feel it engage but just slips. Question is.. is this a possible problem in the valve body I should check first or are the clutches gone? Valve body is a TCI
Thanks, Jason

·
Super Moderator
19,351 Posts
If the trans has 1-2-3 and transbrake, all the mechanical circuits are fine.
First I would want you to try putting the car in neutral and using the transbrake for reverse. If that works and the trans has a good solid reverse engagement we will go from there.

Let me know, Hutch

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hutch said:
If the trans has 1-2-3 and transbrake, all the mechanical circuits are fine.
First I would want you to try putting the car in neutral and using the transbrake for reverse. If that works and the trans has a good solid reverse engagement we will go from there.

Let me know, Hutch
Nope ...when in nuetral & trans brake applied you can feel it go into reverse but it slips, wont even move the car..same as when shifter is in reverse. all the other forward gears appear to be working fine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
TCI valve body

Was this trans a complete build up from the ground up or was the v-body installed into an already in service transmission ?

My questions would be this
1- Does it hold on the brake good ?

2- How does it go into high gear ?

3- Any other info would help greatly

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ive had the valvebody & trans for 5years & has been freshened maybe 3-4 times. both have about 30 passes since the last time it was apart.

1- It held on the brake good until this problem started, now it wnt hold the car.

2- high gear seems to be fine as do 1st & 2nd

3- basicly it goes into reverse, you can just bareley feel it engage but it wont move the car....just slips. same if your in nuetral & hit the brake button.

Here is what happened ....last time at the track the brake worked fine....loaded the car...went home unloaded the car & reverse was fine...week later I loaded the car reverse was fine...when I unloaded the car it wouldnt back the car out of the trailer. I let it warm up, Ive drove it & no change still slips in reverse. I find it hard to believe the reverse clutches went that fast. Before it gets pulled apart i wanted to know if this could be a valve body problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Some info

W/Turbo 400 - TCI valve body

*Rev- Rev. band & High/Direct clutch
note - This type of valve body has a very weak rev. engaugement when in rev. due to the hydr. circuit design,but this is normal & ok w/this v-body

*Neut. w/brake applied - Rev. band & High/Direct cutch
This provides a more positive rev. engaugement.

*1st - Forward clutch & Low roller clutch

*1st w/brake applied - Forward clutch, Low roller clutch, High/Direct clutch & Rev. band

*2nd - Forward clutch, intermediate clutch & intermediate sprag holding

*3rd - Forward clutch & High/Direct clutch

It would be my opinion that you will be pulling this trans to check for an internal prob.

Hope this helps & Good luck

·
Super Moderator
19,351 Posts
Jason I was under the impression that the brake worked fine but in your last post you said the brake worked fine until this problem started. So now the brake doesn't work properly im assuming.
Possibly the lining fell off the reverse band, that would be an all of a sudden thing and I have seen that happen to some relined bands.
Either way its not a valve body problem and it all points towards a problem with the reverse/brake band.

Hope this helps, Hutch

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here is the outcome...the snout of the convertor had a rough texture...not smooth like chrome. It was a fast install(straight out of the box & into the trans.) & I guess I didnt notice when I put it in. Anyway it took out the bushing in the pump & clutches are in bad shape among other things. Thanks for all the help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts