Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Tomorrow I have a no prep hard tire (200 or harder) drag race. I'm running a set of Pep Boys finest (Futura) 295-50-15 tires and I currently have 17psi of air in them. I was doing a little testing in them and though the car went straight on the launch she still spun hard. I measured the skid marks and both are exactly 9" wide. I was hoping for closer to 10" Is it safe to drop a actual street tire's pressure much lower? I have added ballast to the rear by bolting in a extra cyl head in the trunk with the battery, fuel cell and nitrous bottle. i also added 35 lbs of bricks (well secured) in the rear bumper as well.

Other question, has anyone ever used no prep style traction adhesive like VHT or Devil's Glue on the burnout with street tires?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
We are running a 320 treadware and the car is 7.0 1/8 mile. The tire measures around 12.25 wide but has wide grooves so I cant say what total tire patch is. 79 Camaro 383 150 shot about 100 foot out

·
Registered
13,275 Posts
Try running a stock (or near stock) torque converter. LONG ago, I ran G60-14 no name radials. This was back in the days before anyone was even selling street/strip DOT tires. I also had way too much cam for my combination. With a stock converter, the car would move ever so slowly to 60ft, but if I shifted from first to second carrying anymore than 5,200 rpm, the tires would absolutely light up. Same deal going from second to third (although 6,000 rpm was about the limit there). Never got so much as a chirp on takeoff. Oh, and the mph was out of this world, compared to ET. Take care. Tom Worthington

·
Registered
8,447 Posts
Don't compare treadwear rating between brands. There is no standard or correlation. Not even sure how these races spec a treadwear rating. Makes zero sense.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Agree that treadwear doesn’t equate to traction. This no-prep / hard compound thing sounds silly to me. What do they do about AWD vehicles?
As far as traction compounds are concerned, Ultra Blue is the stickiest shit I’ve seen, if you’re allowed to put down surface adhesive before a burnout.

·
A bad example for others
35,766 Posts
Decent prep this weekend.

We pulled off a 1.74 60 ft. With a 275/60/15 Mickey Thompson S/T street tire. No soaking, 20 psi and leaving in 2nd gear (manual valve body). Big 11" converter with 2800 stall rating and 3.54 gear. We can get 11's out of it but was dialing 12.1's naturally aspirated. No nitrous was allowed.

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
When I won the hard tire race out here I ran like 24psi in them because I was scared of the tire cupping and the center not touching the ground. I feel like 17psi is already too low but who knows.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I run a BF Goodrich 255/70-15 on my hard tire car. I run 13 to 16 psi on a 8" rim. 1970 Nova caltracs LS turbo and a TON of testing. My best is a 5.88 1/8 on a very good track. Track prep means everything. it slows way down on a no prep track. I don't cook or do any prep on my tires. I just don't want another variable that I have to chase.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts