Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just rebuilt a .060 454 with all new internals except for rods and crank.
I installed a hydraulic roller cam with the springs, rockers and pushrods to match.
The oil pump is a Mellings High Volume. The pan is a kickout style with the matching pickup.
I'm using Valvolene 10W-30 oil. When I prime the engine with a priming tool from Summit and a 1/2"
electric drill, I get oil all the way to the top and out of all the rockers. But when I look down at the oil
pressure gauge it's sitting on zero. The gauge is mechanical with a clear line. I can see oil going through the line
but the gauge never moves off zero.
The first time I primed the engine with oil to the top of rockers, I assumed everything was cool so I started it up.
This was with an electrical oil pressure gauge. That's when I discovered no oil pressure. I shut the engine down
and installed a manual gauge, reprimed the engine and noticed no pressure.
I would think if the pump would push oil to the top and out the rockers, the pump must be ok. But I don't know why
there's no oil pressure on the gauge. Gauge is hooked up above the oil filter. Does this sound like a pump problem
or something else?

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
Did you check the clearance between the pump and the oil pan? Also did you install all the threaded plugs behind the camshaft gear? Last two BBC I built recently both would carry 35lbs using a drill to prime.

Steve

·
Banned
322 Posts
he had an electric gauge when he started it, now he has a mechanical gauge. Turning the crank manually assures that the oil feed holes on the crank are getting oil from the bearing saddle oil holes. Also not all 1/2" drills have the same motor. I use a Dewalt 1/2" drill.

·
stone broke baller
2,305 Posts
I understand that much, but if it ran already...he's past the priming stage. Chances of both an elec and mech gauge being dead is doubtful, but is a possibility if oil is at the rockers and the oil line is full of oil at the mech gauge. Myself, I'd disconnect the mech gauge and crank it (no ign)to see what exits the line.

·
Read Only
18 Posts
I am talking about something I know very little about. But with your oil line located above the filter, could this motor have the oil bypass mount kit on it? Couls that have something to do wih it? Could you hook the line up behind the distributor and try there? Here is a link to the kit I am talking about. Like I said tho, I am not sure exactly what this kit does or what I am talking about. Goodluck!

·
A Senior Member
2,849 Posts
Lets see. You are getting oil to the rockers. Whose block is it and what year? Where on the block are you getting the oil pressure from? That 1/2 inch drill should be giving your arm a good twist when the pressure comes up.

What oil filter mount? Is is something like this with no bypass?

·
A Senior Member
2,849 Posts
I'm out.
Just seen the hydraulic rollers.
This has something to do with centain.

·
Registered
921 Posts
Remove your sending unit or gauge connector from the block, see if you have any oil there...spin your drill motor and see if you have oil flowing out of that hole where your fitting was....If you have oil at the rocker arms you should have oil coming out of the block unless your in a blind hole...

·
Registered
4,196 Posts
Are you spinning the drill fast enough? If it is a variable speed drill then turn it to go the fastest. I've seen slow drills spin fast enough to move oil but not enough to build any real pressure to speak of. Might be worth a try

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Did you check the clearance between the pump and the oil pan? Also did you install all the threaded plugs behind the camshaft gear? Last two BBC I built recently both would carry 35lbs using a drill to prime.

Steve
Clearance is 3/8"

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
he had an electric gauge when he started it, now he has a mechanical gauge. Turning the crank manually assures that the oil feed holes on the crank are getting oil from the bearing saddle oil holes. Also not all 1/2" drills have the same motor. I use a Dewalt 1/2" drill.
I'm using a Dewalt 1/2" variable speed. Turning it wide open

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I am talking about something I know very little about. But with your oil line located above the filter, could this motor have the oil bypass mount kit on it? Couls that have something to do wih it? Could you hook the line up behind the distributor and try there? Here is a link to the kit I am talking about. Like I said tho, I am not sure exactly what this kit does or what I am talking about. Goodluck!

I pulled the oil filter adaptor out of the block and checked the bypass. It's closed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Lets see. You are getting oil to the rockers. Whose block is it and what year? Where on the block are you getting the oil pressure from? That 1/2 inch drill should be giving your arm a good twist when the pressure comes up.

What oil filter mount? Is is something like this with no bypass?
The block is 1977 gen IV. Oil pressure gauge is hooked up above the filter, in the correct hole and yes the drill is twisting my arm when the oil pump starts pushing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Remove your sending unit or gauge connector from the block, see if you have any oil there...spin your drill motor and see if you have oil flowing out of that hole where your fitting was....If you have oil at the rocker arms you should have oil coming out of the block unless your in a blind hole...
I did remove the gauge and fittings from the block. There was oil in hole. I could see the oil running up the plastic line to the gauge while priming. I ordered another mechanical gauge should be here today. The other gauge was just one I had lying around so it might be bad. I just don't understand why there would be oil on the rockers and no oil pressure on 2 gauges. I'm changing the filter to another brand since a lot of people don't like Fram, but I doubt that's the problem.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I did remove the gauge and fittings from the block. There was oil in hole. I could see the oil running up the plastic line to the gauge while priming. I ordered another mechanical gauge should be here today. The other gauge was just one I had lying around so it might be bad. I just don't understand why there would be oil on the rockers and no oil pressure on 2 gauges. I'm changing the filter to another brand since a lot of people don't like Fram, but I doubt that's the problem.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.....

·
A Senior Member
2,849 Posts
Another thought, but i don't think you would have the rocker oil. Does the priming tool from Summit Does have a full length housing? MSD distributor with o-rings?

Since its a Mark IV block you have to complete the oil circuit around the distributer.

Just another useless thought.

Good luck.

·
Registered
65,799 Posts
Another thought, but i don't think you would have the rocker oil. Does the priming tool from Summit Does have a full length housing? MSD distributor with o-rings?

Since its a Mark IV block you have to complete the oil circuit around the distributer.

Just another useless thought.

Good luck.
If the OP's priming tool was a straight shaft only, the valvetrain would not get any oil pumped to it. So, based on his post, the valvetrain is getting oil and so the priming tool has the necessary collar.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts