Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to figure out why my torque off of the line sucks so bad. 1.8 60'. I have tried swapping heads from Dart Iron eagle 235cc to Dart Iron Eagle 215cc To get a little more velocity. I have a super victor intake and am looking at a victor junior. Anyone have any ideas or if I am going in the wrong direction? Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,244 Posts
Stall?gear?cubes?cam?compresson?trans?weight? More info is needed , all we know is it has 215 darts and a super Vic

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry guys...its an 87 regal running 12.25 to 1 CR. cam specs are 255/261 @ .050. I have a super victor intake with a holley 4150 carb on top. 750 DP. I have a TH400 tranny with an FTI 8 inch converter with 5500 stall. It is a footbrake car. The car weighs 3480 with me in it. I hope that this helps more.

·
Registered
728 Posts
Hydraulic or solid flat tappet? roller cam? what are the rest of the cam specs?

355/383/400 what size engine bore and stroke?

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Its a solid lifter roller cam 600/620 lift. The motor is a 383 stroker motor with 4.040 bore and 3.75 stroke

·
Registered
4,182 Posts
Leaving at idle? or do you load it?
We need the cam specs, with timing events.(?)

What does the whole ticket look like?

Something is wrong, unless it's just a bad a mix of parts or combo. Your complete time slip & complete cam specs will help.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I'd be willing to bet the converter isn't actually stalling 5500.

Don't get up on the converter either. Leave from just off idle to 2000.

You're off by about .4 in the 60. There's something that just isn't working.
I'd like to see the rest of the incrementals and mph also.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,604 Posts
Toss that cam out................ I have a 215/220 hyd roller in the wifes 383, 3500lbs, 5500 stall, TH350, 4.10 gears, 28" tire, AFR 190 or so hundred year old heads, idles at 600 rpm in gear, low 1.6x 60fts, mid 11's.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Something is way wrong.

355 that was in my chevelle with a lunati bracket master 2 hyd flat tappet, cast flat tops, vic jr and 600 carb went 7.70's 90mph at 3400lb with a 3000 stall and 4.56. shifted at 6200

youre down a few cylinders to only run 8.0 to the 1/8 with a roller cam 383 with 12:1 compression, 4.71 and big stall.

looks like youre just not making much power, a cam change will help but...:smt102

Does the engine sound healthy?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I bought a '65 Mustang with a 302 that the guy claimed ran 12.40s. The thing would fall all over itself when any more than 1/2 throttle was given. He gave me a test drive I presume to show me what a wonderful race car driver he was and kept the thing floored most of the time even though it was running like crap and felt only slightly faster than a Prius. I brought it home and removed the carb to find the rear jest had FELL OUT and were laying in the bowl. Put them back in and it felt like I put a plate on it. My point is, don't overlook the obvious. Fuel, air, spark. We need a lot more info than just the name brand of the part and whatever the catalog says the specs are. Be as specific as you can with all the details and you will get a lot better info and suggestions.

By the 1.8 60' foot and 106 mph, I'd definitely say you are down on power everywhere. First, I would get the general health of the engine by doing a compression check and leak down on all cylinders, check lash, check full throttle opening, timing, fuel pressure, trans stall, etc. Then, I'd start by reading your plugs and see if you are in the ball park with fuel and timing. If you don't know how to read them, there are a number of threads on here that go into enough detail to learn from. Post up some pics of the plugs. Then, I would adjust your launch and shift to optimize both. From there, you can see where you're losing ET. Is it the front half, back half, etc. If you're still way down on MPH, then find the lost power. I would bother trying any new parts until you have a good solid baseline and tuned your current batch of parts. Don't assume anything and don't forget to make driving and tuning adjustment in both directions (ie. shift RPM lower and higher, jets up and down, timing higher and lower, etc.)

Cole

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That is great advice but I am going to have to teach myself how to do a compression test and leakdown test. I haven't looked them up on you tube yet. I haven't found anyone in my area that I can ask for help as I just moved to the area. Thanks again.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok..we have discovery...I found the #5 intake pushrod snapped like a twig. I also found a lot of the poly locks loose. I will be rectifying the problem soon. Again thanks for everyones input.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts