Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Heard Murillo had the car at the track (San Antonio) last night with the turbos moved to conventional locations.

Anyone got any details? I liked the trunk concept but I guess maybe it wasn't working out.

·
Custom Engine Shop
3,812 Posts
He did it long enough to make everyone else try and now that everyone has moved their turbos and can't make them work he put them in front to kick everyones ass with rear mounts.

Of course this is only rumor.

·
...failure to communicate
4,872 Posts
A perfect example of why you shouldnt always try to reinvent the wheel.
I disagree. I think the wheel should be re-thought now and then, but IMHO it is a perfect example of why you shouldn't expect that a reinvention will be better. Sometimes they aren't. You never know unless you try though.

If you expect to set the world on fire, you are setting yourself up for failure usually.

If you just want to see what happens, then it's all just part of experimenting.

·
The Enemy
22,068 Posts
I disagree. I think the wheel should be re-thought now and then, but IMHO it is a perfect example of why you shouldn't expect that a reinvention will be better. Sometimes they aren't. You never know unless you try though.

If you expect to set the world on fire, you are setting yourself up for failure usually.

If you just want to see what happens, then it's all just part of experimenting.
I agree, its always necessary to try. But some thing are better left undone.

I saw no advantage to what he did. Outlaw cars these days have no problems getting the percentages right so what possible advantage could you gain by moving the turbos that far back and adding all of that tubing?

·
The Enemy
22,068 Posts
paul major runs drag radial. John Balansky must of seen or heard something he liked cause hes putting them back thier in his CUT too
I know.

I was getting at the fact that the setup may work well at those power levels and ETs. Just like murillo going 7.0s with his setup. However, to go 6.70s and the like that setup may have been hurting him.

·
Registered
907 Posts
Well that's correct, the turbo's are now located in the front and plans on doing some tuning on the car this pasted Wednsday. I don't know how well the car did, but I do know the car is finished.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
ok class pay attention now... power was not the issue here so don't go thinking that... mike talked to me and my dad and he said that this car is making right aroun 3,000 horsepower... yes, he did put the turbos up front because he was simply tired of spending money where he felt it shouldn't have to be spent... i won't give details, if mike wants to come on here to do so then more power to him but i won't... i will tell you this though, mike experienced 3 flash fires from the seals in the coverters blowing out... he said this last flash fire was the last straw and that it would take some serious money and time to be able to come up with a turbo and coverter design... call me what you will but we've become pretty good friends with mike and he's always helped us out when we asked him for it... he tried something that no one else has, and things didn't go according to plan, but i promise you that he isn't giving up on the thing completely...

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I guess Murillo's car wont be in the STS booth again this year at pri.the guy at STS was telling he how great it was going to be and how much more effiecient it was.I looked at the guy and said"is retard written on my forehead"and walked away.such bullshit-turbos work off of heat,plain and simple

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
he tried something that no one else has, and things didn't go according to plan, but i promise you that he isn't giving up on the thing completely...
That's good to hear, Craig. Life can be lonely and frustrating at the edge of the envelope, but it can pay off, too. Look how many RED designs were tried before Garlits and crew figured out how to make it work. I think being an innovator is a noble calling, myself.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
That's good to hear, Craig. Life can be lonely and frustrating at the edge of the envelope, but it can pay off, too. Look how many RED designs were tried before Garlits and crew figured out how to make it work. I think being an innovator is a noble calling, myself.
let's just say that it's gonna take a few more people to make this thing happen... mike understands that this can't be done on his own, he's gonna need other people to help him out... but in reality, who can really do it all on their own, right...

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
ok class pay attention now... power was not the issue here so don't go thinking that... mike talked to me and my dad and he said that this car is making right aroun 3,000 horsepower... yes, he did put the turbos up front because he was simply tired of spending money where he felt it shouldn't have to be spent... i won't give details, if mike wants to come on here to do so then more power to him but i won't... i will tell you this though, mike experienced 3 flash fires from the seals in the coverters blowing out... he said this last flash fire was the last straw and that it would take some serious money and time to be able to come up with a turbo and coverter design... call me what you will but we've become pretty good friends with mike and he's always helped us out when we asked him for it... he tried something that no one else has, and things didn't go according to plan, but i promise you that he isn't giving up on the thing completely...
HE better hire a tuner if it was making 3000 hp and he could only go 7.0's:) It made no more power than a 400 sbf with 88's maybe less. Its great he tried it but it made no where near 3000 hp. If it made 3000 in the trunk it should have no problem going 6.50's. I am sure i am not the only one that thinks this.

·
Registered
10,175 Posts
HE better hire a tuner if it was making 3000 hp and he could only go 7.0's:) It made no more power than a 400 sbf with 88's maybe less. Its great he tried it but it made no where near 3000 hp. If it made 3000 in the trunk it should have no problem going 6.50's. I am sure i am not the only one that thinks this.
it's hard to run that fast when you're blowing seals out in the middle of a run... i can't remember exactly but mike was telling me that every second he was on the transbrake the temperature would raise a 100 degrees... i mean the man ran a 7.0 at around 212 mph with a few major problems... i hope he comes out and shows people a thing or two

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I agree, its always necessary to try. But some thing are better left undone.

I saw no advantage to what he did. Outlaw cars these days have no problems getting the percentages right so what possible advantage could you gain by moving the turbos that far back and adding all of that tubing?
This is a bullshit post. It's so easy to say something like this now that somebody has put the sweat in to actually trying it. I'm pretty sure you wouldn't have had shit to say if it had worked and he was dominant in the class.

I definitely give props to those who try new things. Everyone benefits when new things are learned.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.