Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
I’m in need of some help. 72 nova with a completely fresh rebuilt Chevy 383 stroker. Freshly rebuilt TH350. And a brand new 9.5 inch Freakshow converter with billet hub.

Im trying to get it all together and the converter pads were pushing up against the flexplate. Thinking it was a seating issue I reseated get converter like ten times and it’s in. I called Freakshow and they said the splines are tight and to tap it in with a rubber mallet. It’s in all the way becauseI put a small drop of red grease on the tip of the input shaft, installed the converter, and pulled it off. The grease was gone. It had been pressed against the inside of the hub. I looked in the converter with a flashlight and saw the grease spread against the hub so I know it seated.

i measured the converter pads relative to the face of the bell housing and am only getting one 8th short of an inch. So 7/8. I think it should be 1-1/8.

Freakshow had me measure the output shaft and it appears to be 1/4 inch too long. Could this be a bad rebuild? Could it be the converter?

Any advice?
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Automotive design Automotive exterior
Yellow Fawn Sleeve Wood Snout
Yellow Fawn Sleeve Wood Snout

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I put the factory converter and I’m getting the same measurements.

Freakshow believes the input shaft is too long. It’s the factory shaft though. Could the rebuilder set in in there incorrectly?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, to simplify things and now that I’m calm, here is my issue. No gap between the torque converter and flex plate. The input shaft bottoms out on the inside of the billet hub. The torque converter only engages the pump about 1/8th of an inch. Freakshow recommended a 1/8 spacer between the engine and trans. That will solve the gap issue but will disengage the pump.

please help.

the input shaft tip to the face of the bell housing is 1-2/16

·
Registered
13,467 Posts
Is the flexplate installed backwards?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No it’s installed correctly. In fact, the 168 tooth SFI flexplate was very very tight. I switch it with the original 153 tooth flexplate that came with the original 307 and, although there is no play, it’s not pressing up against it.

·
Super Moderator
19,977 Posts
Measure from the tip of the input shaft to the pump stator. Then measure from the tip of the drive hub to the back cover of the converter and see what numbers you get. Some billet covers don't get along with 350 input shafts.

Hutch

·
Registered
16,791 Posts
Your .875 number should be 1". There's your min .125 number you're missing between the convertor pads and flexplate. I think thats what Hutch is alluding too.

·
T/S 368E
35,352 Posts

I just had this same issue and it made no sense.
Stick converter in, not enough gap.
Stick a different one in, perfect.
Went through several converters and onlt the one I wanted didn't work??
Bought new billet flexplate, gap was perfect.
Still don't know how in the hell that works, but it does??

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks brother. Freakshow has been great. Mike answered the phone yesterday, on a Saturday, everytime and helped me. He offered for me to send it back for another one. I think the hub is too think. He says those Sonnax billet hub kits never give anyone trouble and believes the input shaft is too long. My trans rebuilder is closed for the weekend so I can’t run this by him.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok perfect. Sorry about my lack of understanding. I have a nice Vernier caliper with a tail.

so from the flat face of the pump, not the tabs, to the tip of the input shaft measures……

1/16th short of 6 inches.

if I can, at least, rule out the transmission as the issue, I can move on to getting the converter adjusted.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I took a few other measurements just in case.

The tip of the input shaft to the face of the bell housing is 1-2/16.

with the torque converter mounted and full seated, the torque converter pads to the face of the bell housing is 1/8 short of 1 inch. So 7/8ths.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My issue is I’m not sure if the transmission rebuild or the converter is the problem. Should I take this up with my rebuilder or torque converter builder? Torque converter guy says my input shaft is sticking out too far. I just don’t understand how that can happen. I thought they were non adjustable. It actually seems like the billet hub on the converter is not deep enough.

·
Super Moderator
19,977 Posts
When measuring your including the tapered tip of the input shaft? Normally they measure 6.050. Next problem is input splines compared to converter splines on the turbine bottoming out before the converter hub is fully against the stator half.

Hutch

1 - 20 of 29 Posts