Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok why a tire question in the turbo section? Because with boost controller the power application is entirely different than any other PA car.

Anyway I'm in search of the best compromise for a drive on the highway tire and possibly make soft hits at the track.

For those that don't know what my junk is all about just look through my build thread and videos/pics from 2013 Drag Week. I'm running M/T 275 ET Street radial Pro's at the track on kill and have no reason to change they are working for me. What I'm looking for is a good wearing tire that has the potential to hook on the street or track with good power management.

From the research I've already done the Pep Boys Futura, Winston Winners and the M/T pure street radials are the best in that category, but how do they compare to the Nt555r or other harder drag radials.

The nova has 60' 1.30 with the front wheels down and 1.33 on the back tires at Bowling Green. This is a heavy 4l80e car not an under 3000 Powerglide car.

I'm not looking to be competitive but for example this weekend there is a nostalgia bracket race 130 miles from home. I would like to drive it there, run 9.40-9.50 with the power turned down but hook and be consistent. and drive back home without changing tires or pedaling.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I'm the only one driving a mid 8 second turbo car on the street regularly

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
Why not the ET radial classic? There are plenty of cars doing faster than 1.30 short times on them and I've heard you can get around 10k+ out of them on the street if you're easy on them. IMHO, they're still the best really streetable drag tire available. I have them on my garbage and won't put anything else on there.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
I finally went back to normal street tires on the street. I wasnt getting enough miles out of my original MT radials for me to be content. They do hook well on the street though

The normal street tires don't do too bad depending how you bring the power in and at what speed

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a mid 8 second street car and I run mickey et street 275 on the street and track I usually change rear tires once a year.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Wasn't ruling out the classic M/T. First trip to atrack was on 5-6 year old classic m/t's and No boost controller, 15# spring pressure. It blew the tires off to the tune of 9.80's. Went straight to the Pros after that, made 18-20 laps on the first set plus 2500 miles and several good burn outs. They are literally to the cords and hooked well right up to the point the rubber was GONE. The second set has 10 passes and no abuse or street miles. I have 3 pairs of rear wheels and will keep a pair of pros for set on kill racing. But looking for a good wearing, good hooking, safe in rain (question of the week after big drag week wheelie "was that scary?" answer "no but driving Pro radials in the rain is terrifying!" tire.

·
Blothru Bullsh!t
992 Posts
I got 17" ET Street IIs on my car and have gone 9.50s on pump gas. I drive the car all over with them on, including to and from the track. Have been 1.50 60ft on them.

·
Registered
155 Posts
love my nitto 555 drag radials for the street, my car is a mid 9 second car and they dead hook in second with a c4 plus they are the same price or cheaper than a regular old radial tire depending where you get them from. I was running the goodyear eagle ss drag radials and they worked fantastic at the track but I guess would bead up rolling on it on the street so they pretty much spun all the time.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts