Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its going to drop down to 4 degrees and my bottles are in a unheated garage. Is it safe to leave them in there or should I bring them in the house? Just a little leary from when I overtightened the safety blow down adapter last year and the disc popped. Just want to make sure the cold won't effect it and I'm going to lose 10lbs of the good stuff.

·
Registered
6,312 Posts
I freeze mine to fill them and they sit in my trailer outside all winter. Never had any issues.

·
Registered
324 Posts
If your storage area was getting to over 100 deg then you might have a problem but a far as being cold you won`t have a problem. In Liberty Dan

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
-40? fuck that! its going to be -2 here tonite i cant imagine another 40 degrees to the wrong side of zero!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
-40 holy shit! I don't know what I would do if it was that cold! The heats gotta be running non stop in the house.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,770 Posts
Shyt, then we're in the middle of a heat-wave compared to you. Still double-digits, was 11* just a little while ago. Tired of this cold-shyt!

·
Registered
33,118 Posts
At -40°F the bottle pressure is 136 PSI, so your system will still work if you correct the jetting for the lower pressure. ;) At 90°F the pressure is 960. Calculating the jet area requires compensation for the density change, which is from 40 lbm/ft3 at 90° to 67 lbm/ft3 at -40°. At 10°F the pressure is 326 PSI and density is 60 lbm/ft3.

·
Trevor Stripling
1,519 Posts
I would recommend putting caps on the bottles. The lower temperatures will cause the valve parts to shrink and can sometimes lead to leaks. Also, some cheap guages will leak when they get too cold. Worse case you will end up with an empyt bottle.

Trevor

·
Registered
33,118 Posts
Good point. We all know about how the cold caused shrinkage and hardening of the O-rings in the booster rockets and caused the Challenger disaster. The sealing material in bottle valves is subject to the same physical behavior.

·
Proud Canadian
2,734 Posts
-40 holy shit! I don't know what I would do if it was that cold! The heats gotta be running non stop in the house.
Yes the furnace has being running non stop lately.I put the bottles in my shop for now until this cold snap passes.My truck has square tires it's so cold..

·
Registered
4,312 Posts
Almost reminds me of my time when I lived in Alaska. Summers were great but winters SUCKED THE BIG ONE! Just glad to be at home in Colorado! Now I just need to get my car finished so I can play! My bottles are all empty right now, and will be getting them tested before they are filled again, so I could care less about the temp in the garage right now except for when I'm working in it!

·
"Darkness"
4,942 Posts
At -40°F the bottle pressure is 136 PSI, so your system will still work if you correct the jetting for the lower pressure. ;) At 90°F the pressure is 960. Calculating the jet area requires compensation for the density change, which is from 40 lbm/ft3 at 90° to 67 lbm/ft3 at -40°. At 10°F the pressure is 326 PSI and density is 60 lbm/ft3.
Thanks for the usefull info. ;)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts