Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I'm a newbie and now that that is out of the way..HELP! :smt026 ...I got this Nitrous Works Plate System #12010 rated for 150 to 400hp. (a pro plate system). It runs excellent at the 150hp level. Ran it that way since last fall. Two weeks ago we stepped up to a 250 hit. Will not make power, will not pull, car slows down slower than on motor alone. Yes, it has a dedicated fuel system with a BG 280 and BG 2Port reg with clean fresh 110 racing fuel. Flowed plate with specified fuel jet setting pressure to 7psi. Bottle full and pressure 1000psi, everything per calibration card. Engine is SBC roller motor. Locked out timing at 37 degrees with 6 degree retard in the MSD 3 Stage Retard. Plugs gapped at .024, Ignition is MSD 6 with HVC Coil. Holley 950HP. Engine is on seperate fuel system with BG400 pump and 4 port reg. I pulled the plugs and there is nothing out of the way that I can see. I'm having little luck with NW Tech. I've checked and rechecked and am just about lost on where in the problem might be. I hope you don't say :WGAF because I need this thing to work properly at higer power level settings. Thanking you for your consideration.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i don't know a thing about the NW kits but my big shot only likes about 4 3/4 to 5 psi of fuel flowing... 7 sounds like alot but then again i don't know their tuneups. how do the plugs look, are they showing rich?

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Benton Races

Hey Matt, How did your EZ Street go? Yeah, I'm having alot of trouble with my Nitrous. Plugs don't seem overly rich or lean. Light Mousey brown with no signs of flaking. Ran Newport with it and got to final round and split winnings. Had to do it on the motor because the 250shot was so sour. This Morning I set it back to the 150 for races at Georges. Pulling it back on the trailer it started in with valvetrain noise. Shut it off, pulled valve cover and found intake Rocker arm broken. The roller tip came off the rocker arm. Found all the pieces, Valve top damaged but still in place. I've never had any valve train problems and these Rockers were gold Crane units. So I'm down for a bit untill I get things sorted out.

·
Registered
117 Posts
sorry to hear that... sounds like a bad weekend all around, decided not to go to ill this weekend due to some plans i got dropped on me, but my buddy brad wrecked his car after a bad wheelstand in the first round, he's alright but the car ain't... i'll see it tommorow when he gets home. that's weird that the 150 works good but the 250 won't pull at all. hope you get it sorted out... and sorry i can't be of more help but i just know big shot kits... 8)

·
Administrator
136,626 Posts
That's a pretty tight LSA for a 250 shot. I was running a 114 LSA on the 406 with 23* heads that capped out at 319 CFM @ 750 lift and the motor would not take anymore than a 225 hit. The reason I say this is because you said the plugs actually look pretty good... Otherwise look at the nitrous fitting screens for any dirt as well as the fule filter.

·
Registered
117 Posts
i ran a 110 LSA on my 383 a couple years ago... 23*heads as well, like monty said the motor topped out at 225 shot.. we tried 275 once but the car did not pick up MPH. not that this helps but i figured i'd tell ya anyway... :(

·
Super Moderator
19,367 Posts
When you stepped it up did the motor use nitrous? (bottle weight)
When you went back to the old tune ,did it step back up.
What are the jet staggers and what size flow jet are you using.

Later ,Hutch

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hutch, yes product was used as bottle weight went down. I checked this. Going from the 250 to the 150 tune the the power did step back up. I'm using 62n 53f for 150hp, 82n 63f for the 250. That is on the NW Calibration Card I have in hand.

·
Super Moderator
19,367 Posts
did you see exactly how much nitrous you used on a 150 pass and a 250 pass?
If so how many lbs were used.
Are you sure about the 250 tune being staggered that much?
Was the fuel pressure changed from the 150 to the 250 setup as well the timing retard?
Can you give me any indication of how the car ran on the 250 was it screaming and going nowhere, laying down ,wouldn't rev? Let me know.

Talk to you soon ,Hutch

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm not sure exactly how much the 150 used vs the 250. Tunning is per NW Calibration Card. Double checked it today to make sure Card was correct and it is.
Fuel pressure was set flowing through spray bar for both 150 & 250. I think you called it here....it was screaming and going no where with some missing at higher rpm before backing out of it.

·
Super Moderator
19,367 Posts
Check all the obvious, go try it out again and take notes . Also include some shift rpm drops, flash stall and finish line rpm numbers if possible and im sure your problem can be pinpointed.

Take care ,Hutch

·
God Bless America
10,615 Posts
May Sound Crazy, Remove the 2 Port BG Reg. and put in a Std Holley Reg. Flow it to 6lbs flowing and run car just past the 330 marks then read plugs. Bottle Pressure 1050. Pull one more degree of timing.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
:lol: Found the problem. Started over again with the 250 tune 82N [email protected] and 1000psi on bottle. Darn thing would not run and make power. Went to 8psi and no better. Changed the NW spray bar plate to a New Zex Plate without spray bars. Back to 7psi and 950 bottle psi then started dropping fuel pressure by 1/4 psi on each test run. 6 3/4 no better; 6 1/2 no better, 6 no better. Dropped to 5 3/4 psi and good things started happening. Back up to 6 psi and crap started again. Dropped to 5.5 psi and a fresh bottle at 950 psi and the kit came alive. Of course, checked plugs after each test run and never saw any richness or over leaness. For the last test of the day, I set in a 350 tume 120N 93F but stayed at the 5.5 psi fuel pressure and 950 psi on a fresh bottle and 10* retard. The run was outstanding except for some minor tire spin. The dreaed Nitrous Monkey is finally off my back.
I think I can drop fuel pressure a bit more as the plugs still looked good at the 5.5 psi setting. Thanks Matt for your suggestion about the fuel pressure. I have juggled jetting and tripple checked everything....but it was the fuel pressure all along. Thanks to all that offered help, and thank you Matt...you were right on with this.
Larry

·
Registered
117 Posts
WOW, I NEVER THOUGHT I WOULD BE "RIGHT ON"... I WENT TO NEWPORT WEEKEND BEFORE LAST AND MY BUDDY RAN 7.0. WAS THAT YOU IN THE YELLOW, BLACK 69 WITH BIG TIRES? IF IT WAS YOU WERE TALKING TO A BIG FAT YOUNG LOOKING GUY IN AN NMRA T-SHIRT, THATS MY BROTHER. I WAS WITH THE GUY IN THE SILVER/PURPLE 68 CAMARO RUNNING 7.0. MAYBE I'LL SEE YA UP THERE AGAIN.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep, that was us. It takes me a little time to put things together, old age you know.
Were you at Newport last night, were you the ones with the guy with the Camaro with HI plates? We thought we had the Nitrous problem fixed, but as you may have observed the car ran much better with the 150 shot than the 250 we were trying.
HOW ABOUT THEM SKEETERS, they near carried us off and we may all need a pint or two of blood to replace what they sucked. Next time lets visit more and be sure we know we are talking to eachother. The fuel pressure is the key on this thing. Last night with the 250 hit the car run 6.80. With the 150 hit the car went 6.46. We made it to the final round, splitting with the big block yellow and white
55 Chevy.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts