Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just hurt my engine,, too much gas on je pistons,,I want too move over to diamond pistons,, my rods are 6 inch H beams,, although diamond list pistons in my size for 6 inch rods I am worried that maybe I should move to 5.7 rods to increase compression height, or are the diamonds really that good

·
Registered
320 Posts
Doesnt eagle make a decent 5.950 rod?That would give you some extra room to play with but a 5.85 rod would make for a stronger piston and room to put it down in the hole some also.This is my diamond with 3.875 stk and 6.0" rod in a standard deck sbc.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,602 Posts
I ran JE's with a 6" rod, 3.875 stroke, .030's in the DP (about 300hp shot), no problems with them, ever. Went with a different set of heads, same rods and crank, Diamond pistons for the new heads, again, no problems. Either company is good, it's all about the tune.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The pistons I was using were the forged flat top,, not the nitrous piston,, dumb I know but done now,, looking to spray around 450 in 2 kits, would nitrous pistons from either diamond or je work in my motor with the 6 inch rod

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
First.....where did the piston fail and why? New pistons wont help if its tune or component related.....

·
X275 O.G.
2,353 Posts
I think what everyone is nicely trying to say is 9 times out of 10 its not the pistons fault. Find what went wrong and start there or your pistons will fail no matter what you stuff in there

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,602 Posts
Lots of ways to hurt a piston with nitrous. A good company should make sure the valve relief pockets are not cut too deeply, otherwise top ring will suffer. When trying to run a lot of nitrous, moving the ring pack down is a good idea, and will need a shorter rod to go with them.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am hoping to get my new system flowed etc by Steve Johnson,, I think it's a tune problem but also I believe that I simply asked to much of my pistons,,don't intend to make the same mistake twice,,would I be best to start with shorter rod, and which 5.7 or 5.85.. Have not stripped it yet but intend to either rebuild this one or if the damage is to great build another,,number 8 cylinder is suffering huge leak down and I am hoping that it's simply broke the piston,,thanks for all the advice,,

·
Super Moderator
12,145 Posts
It sounds like your looking to get the best of both worlds. Nothing wrong with going to a better rod/piston combo that would provide a stronger base to build from as well as getting your system tuned up too. Please let us know when we can help out. Thanks, SJ

1 - 12 of 12 Posts