Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some general input/advice as I am going to be spraying my car for the first time this season right off the line. I sprayed the car last year with a 125 shot, but it was not right off the line, and the car had less power overall.

I am running a 4.10 gear, caltracs, strange double adjustable rears and single fronts, a 3 speed (2.45 first gear), 275 pros with 18 psi, and a 150 hit in a cheater plate. The converter is tighter then my previous converter, but who knows if it will be enough until I try the spray. Everyone keeps telling me I will NEED a progressive, but I am hoping with such a small shot I should be ok. Motor is a 408ci sbm that has ran so far 10.90 on the motor at 3500lbs. Not sure how far the 150 will take me, but eventually I would like to try the 175 hit as things start sorting out (far future lol).

Is there anything I should try/know? I currently launch the car at 3000rpm off a two step and trans brake...I tried 4000rpm and it was spin city (although I did not tune the chassis for that launch). I do have a window switch (not sure if that would be useful in this case) and know on spray it will need totally different shock settings, but any advice (especially leaf spring stuff) you guys have to help me get a decent starting point would be great!

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I launch on the kit.. 70 nova bbc on 175ish.. same tires u have and a 3 speed th350... f ootbrake car tho.. pulls low 1.30 60 foots and went 9.35 at 144... track prep must be good, more then 10 sets of cars go down without some glue sprayed down it spins but this was on friday night tnt with street cars dragging water down... car has a 5 leaf spring pack with hose clamps holding all the springs together, and some cheap 50/50 comp engineering shocks in rear. Front was stock..but nowhas 90/10 Calvert shocks. I don't know how well u will do off the tbrake but if it spins try footbraking it, seems nitrous doesnt care.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I also think you will want to tie the front end down a bit to start with by tightening up the front shocks. On motor, you should be pretty close to full loose, but on spray, you may get a good wheelie if left at full loose. If you have the window switch hooked up, you could set the spray to come on at 4000 so the initial hit at 3000 isn't on spray. These are all things that I have thought about as well and have set to try when I go a little bigger, hopefully next weekend.

Good luck. let us know what happens.

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am definitely going to tighten the front up as right now it is on full loose and even with the tight converter pulls the front wheels. I have thought about setting the window switch to bring the nitrous in a bit later, but I feel like that will kill the effect of the added power helping the launch and 60'- I'll try it though, since really that is the only control I have over the "hit" so to speak.

I have a timing retard in my Mallory hyfire 685 box, but it is not a progressive type retard by any means...So whatever timing I pull for the nitrous is how much timing will be pulled the whole time. My car for some reason does not hold well at all on the footbrake, but it is definitely something to try too. 91rsnate, what rpm are you leaving at off the footbrake?

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I am definitely going to tighten the front up as right now it is on full loose and even with the tight converter pulls the front wheels. I have thought about setting the window switch to bring the nitrous in a bit later, but I feel like that will kill the effect of the added power helping the launch and 60'- I'll try it though, since really that is the only control I have over the "hit" so to speak.

I have a timing retard in my Mallory hyfire 685 box, but it is not a progressive type retard by any means...So whatever timing I pull for the nitrous is how much timing will be pulled the whole time. My car for some reason does not hold well at all on the footbrake, but it is definitely something to try too. 91rsnate, what rpm are you leaving at off the footbrake?
I have tried a few different rpms but it seems to like less rpm on a good track and more on a marginal track for some reason, Thinking maybe it doesnt hit as hard with more rpm due to the converter being loaded... Mainly around 2500 or so...

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have tried a few different rpms but it seems to like less rpm on a good track and more on a marginal track for some reason, Thinking maybe it doesnt hit as hard with more rpm due to the converter being loaded... Mainly around 2500 or so...
Thanks for sharing...I have noticed even off the transbrake in my car if I launch lower, the car leaves harder as it seems like it can take a run at the converter to flash so to speak

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
What size radial? Those 4.10's are gonna be the issue with a 3 speed. My 69 Camaro did decent on 275 radials with a 3.55 gear and a 2.48 1st gear. Leaf spring cars generally work well on radials. I got some 1.2x 60 ft times and low 8 sec et's. I used a transbrake and a progressive controller with about a 400 shot.

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What size radial? Those 4.10's are gonna be the issue with a 3 speed. My 69 Camaro did decent on 275 radials with a 3.55 gear and a 2.48 1st gear. Leaf spring cars generally work well on radials. I got some 1.2x 60 ft times and low 8 sec et's. I used a transbrake and a progressive controller with about a 400 shot.
Its a 275 radial pro, so a 28" tall tire. I am only hitting it with a 150-175....Hopefully I can make it work...but yes, the steep gearing and 3 speed combination does not help the cause that is for sure

·
Registered
3,173 Posts
Rear shock and track prep are going to be the make or break with that gearing.

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
The 4.10 concerns me a little, might run out of usable rpm up top. I don't know or remember enough about your motor but I know my 367 would die off around 1000ft. I think I shifted it at 7200.

·
Back to the front!
5,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Rear shock and track prep are going to be the make or break with that gearing.
Yes, I am hoping that the track will be prepped good as I am going to test this Monday if all goes according to plan. Hopefully the Strange D/A's will do the job!

The 4.10 concerns me a little, might run out of usable rpm up top. I don't know or remember enough about your motor but I know my 367 would die off around 1000ft. I think I shifted it at 7200.
I have funny feelings I will need to go something like a 3.73 if keeping the 3 speed

with the set of pro radials i have now, i blew tires off at 18psi. dropped to 16 and hooked. just something to try.
That was on spray? I ran 18 psi just like I did with my 325 MT radials last season...Except I noticed that these tires here wrinkled the sidewall a little (not even sure that is ok with the radial)

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I switched from 4.10 to 3.73.. now looking and having to switch to 3.42ish... faster faster faster = HIGHWAY GEARS BACK IN THE CAR lol

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
When I was using 1st gear in my th400 in my 275 car, a 2000 Camaro with a big block and a single stage fogger. It ran really well in both the 1/8 and the 1/4 with a 3.42 gear out back. I swapped over to a 2nd gear launcher and had to go with a 4.30 gear. I liked it better with the 3speed. Mph and et's were about the same.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts