Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a sbc 434 built for motor and want to change to nitrous. Trying to figure out pistons and cam to buy. Want it to handle a 400 shot. My motor at the time has 15.5 to 1 compression, 6 inch rod with 42 cc chamber heads. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
im thinking you have a 18 degree engine with a 42 cc chamber...what i would do is drop compression to 13,run a shorter rod to get a better compression height on piston,run a tool steel wrist pin no thinner than .180 wall thickness,you may have to cam cut crank to run a shorter rod,drop piston .050 in the hole and run a mls gasket with a minimum of .051 thickness,have heads softened in chambers ,bullet can grind you a cam

·
Super Moderator
12,145 Posts
I have a sbc 434 built for motor and want to change to nitrous. Trying to figure out pistons and cam to buy. Want it to handle a 400 shot. My motor at the time has 15.5 to 1 compression, 6 inch rod with 42 cc chamber heads. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
You will likely want to lower compression, change rod length and compression height, and camshaft to name a couple of things.. I'd give Diamond a call on pistons as well as Comp or Bullet on the cam.. SJ

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
Crash, tiny gave you a pretty good breakdown of what needs to be done step by step he's on point. It's not so much about the "amount" it can be run with as every engine will want different things to be happy. Diamond pistons along with arias and j.e. all have great pistons for nitrous applications. What cylinder heads do you have now?

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,602 Posts
I have run 400hp of juice through my 414 SBC. Has a 3.875 stroke, 4.125 bore, 6" rods, Diamond pistons, never had a problem. You may want to put a shorter rod in there so you can move the ring pack down. Like Steve said, call Mike Panetta (spelling) at Diamond and talk to him about it, he is a member here. Bullet can make you a cam.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts