Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im at a road block with my engine rebuild.the new custom diamond pistons just came in for it. 4.600 bore 598 conv head motor.they are built for 2 stages=500hp juice and motor should make about 1050 n/a.the pistons weigh 784 grams each bare.i plan on spinning it as hi as 7700rpms.i dont know if it will even want to spin up that hi with that kind of weight along with the steal rods or if feel safe to try.was planing on running my oliver billet rods which are about .825 grams.the crank is gonna need some heavy metal to rebalance also as the old pistons were 706 grams with a lighter pin.im thinking i may be better off going to a grp aluminium rod. i checked with them and weights are about 200 grams lighter per rod.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
My Diamond 4.75 bore pistons are 664 grams & spray twice what you are talking about. We use GRP aluminum rods & spin it to 8,200. I'm no expert but most engines with that configuration use aluminum rods.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i dont no what the hell im doing up at this time, going snow plowing in a little bit and cant sleep.my builder said theres a few spots where he could take a little weight off without weekening them probably not much weight im thinking 10-15 grams.talked to grp if i went that route with the 10.2 block with 54mm cam core with .520 lobes and 4.5 stroke theres not much room for a big alum rod without a lot of grinding even the small end of the rod may need some grinding.probably just gonna do what we can to lighten the pistons a bit.my builder mentioned if we really wanted to he could send them out to a company called repco? that can really get some weight out.i dont know seems its always some issue for me everything i do with this hobby nothing ever goes smooth.turns out to become stress than fun all for just a #.:(

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
i would not touch an aluminum rod with a grinder, period. dome piston? pretty heavy slug for a 598 imo, might call diamond and ask them to run a lightening program on the piston. you paid for diamond to do the work originally, have them work out the issue. as for rods, the steel rods will live for a while under a nitrous load but at that rpm and under a heavy load expect the crank to be stress cracked on the journals after a while....

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i called diamond yesterday talked to mike p and asked if i could send them back to be lightened he said no.my engine bulider said before i called that he didnt think they would said they are built on 4 tangs and when finished and removed they cant do anything with them. said a company called rebco machine does them.

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
10-4 maybe nelson will chime in on this, will a grp rod fit into the pocket without work?

·
Diamond Pistons Rep
4,400 Posts
another69camaro check you pm's

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
sorry mike p, had a massive brain fart........maybe one of the mikes will chime in on the situation as far as rods and weights go.....

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
slight mix up diamond is gonna take care of them.thank you very much mike.sean

1 - 10 of 10 Posts