torch

filter

shut off valve

2 pieces of line

scale...

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I have never used a pump station. I chill the bottles in a freezer at the shop and keep the sattelite bottle at 800.psi. It will drain the large bottle completely. I have a 1 ft line into a filter and another 1 ft line to the receiving bottle. I open the large bottle and bleed the little air off then open the small bottle I'm filling. I put 10.8 to 11 lbs in every fill. I close the small bottle first then the large. I will open the small and you can here it purge the line clear of nos. It waste Nothing not a OZ. Then I take and loosen the lines and let the presure off. It has approx 700 psi on the small bottle and when it comes up to room temp (80) its at 900 or so

·
Registered
260 Posts
I have never used a pump station. I chill the bottles in a freezer at the shop and keep the sattelite bottle at 800.psi. It will drain the large bottle completely. I have a 1 ft line into a filter and another 1 ft line to the receiving bottle. I open the large bottle and bleed the little air off then open the small bottle I'm filling. I put 10.8 to 11 lbs in every fill. I close the small bottle first then the large. I will open the small and you can here it purge the line clear of nos. It waste Nothing not a OZ. Then I take and loosen the lines and let the presure off. It has approx 700 psi on the small bottle and when it comes up to room temp (80) its at 900 or so
^^yep

·
Unoffical YB Fundraiser
14,678 Posts
What ever you do......do not over fill a cold bottle, They only take 10lbs for a reason.
They are unstable and the bottle pressure is all over the place. You might only get the
bottle up to 900 or a 1000 lbs, but when you hit it with heat they change pressure to
quick. The pressure will also drop quick going down track changing your tune up. We
have seen them drop anywhere from 1100 lbs to 800 lbs at the finishline. But a bottle
filled at room temp and heated to 950 -1000 lbs will finsih the 1/4 mile at 900. A much
safer tune up change. Its not fun when a saftey pops on a bottle just standing there
doing nothing. And its even more fun when the saftey pops on a 5lb bottle. The big 1`s
are easier to see comming at you, where as the lil phuckers are like ballons that just got
untied, they fly all over the phucking place. I use to fill between 20 and 30 bottles a week
sometimes more.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
If you heat the large bottle past 900 to 1000 it causes the problems you are speaking of. 1200 is where it goes from a gas to a liquid
What ever you do......do not over fill a cold bottle, They only take 10lbs for a reason.
They are unstable and the bottle pressure is all over the place. You might only get the
bottle up to 900 or a 1000 lbs, but when you hit it with heat they change pressure to
quick. The pressure will also drop quick going down track changing your tune up. We
have seen them drop anywhere from 1100 lbs to 800 lbs at the finishline. But a bottle
filled at room temp and heated to 950 -1000 lbs will finsih the 1/4 mile at 900. A much
safer tune up change. Its not fun when a saftey pops on a bottle just standing there
doing nothing. And its even more fun when the saftey pops on a 5lb bottle. The big 1`s
are easier to see comming at you, where as the lil phuckers are like ballons that just got
untied, they fly all over the phucking place. I use to fill between 20 and 30 bottles a week
sometimes more.

·
Registered
1,972 Posts
I use a NOS filling station in my trailer and fill my bottles after every round. Never had a problem and dont have to have a lot of bottles.

·
First round fodder...
3,602 Posts
the large size nos pump would be my only choice. i used a few different designs and that is the best...........we refill 6 carbon bottles and rotate them at the track (hard to deep freeze between rounds). if your filling between rounds its the only answer, make sure you have a good compressor..

·
Registered
264 Posts
We use the freezer method (or bucket of ice water in "hurry-up" mode) to fill all our bottles. We have filled hundreds of bottles that way with no problems. It is much safer IMO too...less pressure on everything. Plus no junk to rebuild when you need a re-fill the most.

We have seen NO difference in performance filling a bottle via pump or freezer as long as we use the RPM Performance Products bottle heater/cooler. It keeps my bottles within 5 PSI of the set pressure up to the point where I kick in the first system.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts

X2

easy to do... I have a little chest freezer that 6 bottles will fit it.. I use one of the Ultraship Digital Postal scales to weight the bottles when filling.

·
Unoffical YB Fundraiser
14,678 Posts
If you heat the large bottle past 900 to 1000 it causes the problems you are speaking of. 1200 is where it goes from a gas to a liquid
Well I have never heated the large bottle so......

When you over fill a bottle the pressure becomes unstable. The pressure drop is quicker and more dramatic. An over filled bottle at lets say 1100 lbs of pressure will drop pressure faster then a bottle at 1000 lbs. At the end of a 1/4 mile pass the bottle with less of a starting pressure (1000) will have more pressure at the end of the pass.

Try putting you size 10 foot in a size 8 shoe and tell me whats gonna happen.

The ice method works awsome, I have used this method at the track to fill from the mother bottle. The only thing I am saying is when they are cold they can be over filled very easily. Just becarefull if you are going that route. Like I said they say 10 lbs for a reason.

·
T/S 368E
31,125 Posts

I fill my own, and freeze the bottle and heat the mother bottle with a heater pad.
It works perfect and actually most of the time it fills too much, so obviously a pump would be a waste for me like some of the others said.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts