Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am having an issue and Dave and I have talked already, but I wanted to see if anyone has run into this issue and can lend a tadd bit of help.

Scenario, I changed a cam and intake and a radiator with now a single fan, that's it, pulled engine, reinstalled back into chassis. Started engine up about a month ago and ign. worked as did the fuel pump. It's running, building up heat so I turn on the water pump, engine still running, got more heat, clicked on fan(and I didn't know it but my fuel pump stop running and my tach was all over the place)!!!!!:shock::shock::shock::smt102 engine died slowly from running out of fuel at the carb. So, I find out that with the engine off, fan, water pump work fine together, add the fuel pump and no pump!, run pump with either the water pump or the fan and they work together, just all three wont work in unison...no blown fuses and relays work fine. I did notice that when I turn fuel pump on, the fan and water pump lights dim a bit and never did this before which leads me to a unwanted draw of current somewhere...
I also have enough fuel in cell.
Batteries are fully charged and have normal amp drop when starter is ingaged.

I checked all my grounds, removed, cleaned and hooked all back up and they are all good, I checked this circuit board corner to corner top to bottom backside and front and Dave mentioned to send it in and he will get a closer look at it.

I use a Fuelab fuel pump and have never had an issue with it. it could possibly have an internal elect. flaw going on, but I dought it.

One question I have, does anyone ground there radiator? My fan has a ground and a hot wire, but I am thinking that maybe something else needs a ground, just not certain. I ran two fans before and I just use one circuit for the single fan now and the other two wires are seperated and not touching. I haven't switched the wiring from one set of fan wires to the other so maybe I will try that and see if it does anything after I get the board back form Dave.
Just doesnt make sense, but I have something going on, just can't find it as of yet. I wonder if my 7AL2 box is pooping out from the tach going crazy???? Everything was all still connected when the engine was pulled except the atteries.

Anyone run into this issue with or without using Dave's curcuit board????? Board is going out Monday.
Dave's board is a very nice piece of elect. connection and protection and I am not in any way saying the board has an issus. He stands behind his product 100%.
Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
4,383 Posts
Hey John!!!! I run his boards as well and never an issue! Yes, I ground my radiator. I have dedicated grounds for most of my stuff in the car, and only use the chassis as a last resort. It does sound like a grounding issue for sure, but bad relay contacts or poor connections can do that as well.....

·
Registered
411 Posts
Def sounds like a ground problem. I do not normally ground the radiator, but it wouldn't hurt to ground it... I would send the 7AL2 back to TX for a check, I can test it on the bench, not sure where you are located though.

Rich

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Def sounds like a ground problem. I do not normally ground the radiator, but it wouldn't hurt to ground it... I would send the 7AL2 back to TX for a check, I can test it on the bench, not sure where you are located though.

Rich
Michigan is location, Clawson.
Isn't there some trouble shooting info on then a k of MSD's older big catalog?
I check my catalog. If not I will get ahold of you.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey John!!!! I run his boards as well and never an issue! Yes, I ground my radiator. I have dedicated grounds for most of my stuff in the car, and only use the chassis as a last resort. It does sound like a grounding issue for sure, but bad relay contacts or poor connections can do that as well.....
Hey Mark,
That's the thing, I pull grounds from the battery AND power to run everything on the car and use dual terminals for +\-
It's starting to get more narrow on where to dig and I'll find it eventually.

Do any racing yet? I'm just taking this year off, maybe next year.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts