Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
731 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a TCI 8" 4800 stall convertor behind my little six. It should make 550 hp on motor. I'm going to spray it 300 hp. Will a nitrous convertor 9 or10" benefit my setup?

301 ci, turbo 350, 9"w/370 gears and weights 2800 lbs.

·
Registered
92 Posts
The unit you have, while just fine on the motor, will let the nitrous power blow through the convertor. The factor here is slippage. A nitrous convertor is much tighter on the motor, but will allow more stall when on the juice. We went throught this recently and found our power was blowing through the convertor and the car was slower on juice than it was on the motor. The stall was sent back for a nitrous tune and it has worked really well. You could have your same convertor set up for juice far cheeper than buying a new unit.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 8"converter that would only let my car run 10.08 on a 150-300shot the only difference was when I jeted up was I went into the rev limiter faster but the car would still only go 10.08. This year I changed converters to a 10" and gained a tenth in 60ft and half a second off my et with a 200shot. I dont think I needed a 10" but I was so tired of the 8" I did not want to take any chances.

·
Registered
10,720 Posts
Mooreboys said:
The unit you have, while just fine on the motor, will let the nitrous power blow through the convertor. The factor here is slippage. A nitrous convertor is much tighter on the motor, but will allow more stall when on the juice. We went throught this recently and found our power was blowing through the convertor and the car was slower on juice than it was on the motor. The stall was sent back for a nitrous tune and it has worked really well. You could have your same convertor set up for juice far cheeper than buying a new unit.
I hear that phrase a lot, can someone elaborate on Blowing through the convertor?

·
Registered
4,950 Posts
jsj372 said:
Mooreboys said:
I hear that phrase a lot, can someone elaborate on Blowing through the convertor?
HP/Tq lost due to slipage

·
Registered
108 Posts
Basically the converter cant handle the power being put to it. In turn it slips on my old converter I was seeing about 26% slip. On the brake the motor would go to 4800 pull prettey good out of the hole 1.45 60ft . As you started to shift gears the car would quite pulling.The more power you put to it the quicker this would happen.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I have a converter that will flash 5100 on the transbrake, when I shoot 300 hp of nitrous to it my et's pick up none. So I am asssuming the nitrous is blowing through the converter. Would it be safe to say they need to tighten my converter up to approx. 4600? And if they do this then I am sure my motor will feel like a pig right? Ok, so if tightening up the converter slows my motor then it seems like it will eventually slow my nitrous too. I kinda understand this logic but in return I am thinking yes it will stop it from blowing through the converter but also slow it down when it does hit because the converter being so tight?

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
You will need a different converter. My 5000rpm 8" blew through bad when on the unit and instant 7000 rpm.

I now have a 4000 9.5" Art Carr that works well. I only slowed down a few tenths on the motor with the new converter.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I have a converter that will flash 5100 on the transbrake, when I shoot 300 hp of nitrous to it my et's pick up none. So I am asssuming the nitrous is blowing through the converter. Would it be safe to say they need to tighten my converter up to approx. 4600? And if they do this then I am sure my motor will feel like a pig right? Ok, so if tightening up the converter slows my motor then it seems like it will eventually slow my nitrous too. I kinda understand this logic but in return I am thinking yes it will stop it from blowing through the converter but also slow it down when it does hit because the converter being so tight?

A torque converter is a fluid coupler.The outside bolts to the engine,the inside attatches to the transmission.These two parts are "locked" together by resistance of the fluid against the fins inside the converter(this is a very simplified explanation).More torque,heavier weight,or higher gear make it harder for the converter to lock up.A converter that flashes 5100 behind a 355 at 2800lbs,will be MUCH higher behind a 632 at 3500lbs.
When you spray your motor you increase the torque,that converter was perfect NA but,now is slipping unable to lock and drive the rear wheels,instead it turns your extra horsepower into heat.
The fix...increase the fin angle,increase the diameter to hold more fluid,change the sprag design,or all three.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts