Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
900hp injected big block chevy. I was spraying 28n 24f with a good converter but not built for nitrous. It would stall 5800 and was slipping bad at the top end I think. RPM was inconsistent at the stripe. Still a good 1.21-1.24 60 but no mph. One pass 167mph the next 161mph. Just installed the new nitrous converter and it stalls at 3700. Is this normal? I plan on spraying 34n 28f this weekend and I hope it 60's good.

·
Registered
559 Posts
I generally like around 4500 (1100hp BBC) but we don't spray but a 26 jet. So I would think pending trans' and final gear that 3700 might be a little tight but every combo is different. Which converter did you buy?

·
Registered
15,346 Posts
I would rather have one that is a little to tight than one a little too loose for the current setup. This is because as already been evidenced in your post (28n changing to 34n) jet size tends to go up and a tighter converter gives you room to grow!

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
3700.... i wouldn't touch it. Right at 1000 hp for my 3000 race weight car with a 3400 converter went 1.20 inn 60' with no training wheels(82 pill)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Not to Hijack, but reading from the experience above... I have a 3100lb car with 500hp planning on spraying 150-200. 9.5 TCT Converter on the Tbrake is locking at 3500 currently (no nitrous now) which seems really tight. Thinking of sending it in to get reworked to 4500ish? Thoughts.

·
Registered
6,867 Posts
Jmech, I think you will see a lot of difference, for the better. Now whether the entire combo is correct remains to be seen, & might take more tweaking...converter, n20 tune, 1st gear, rear gear, tires size, suspension setup, etc. Good luck, & keep us posted.

·
Registered
11,383 Posts
900hp injected big block chevy. I was spraying 28n 24f with a good converter but not built for nitrous. It would stall 5800 and was slipping bad at the top end I think. RPM was inconsistent at the stripe. Still a good 1.21-1.24 60 but no mph. One pass 167mph the next 161mph. Just installed the new nitrous converter and it stalls at 3700. Is this normal? I plan on spraying 34n 28f this weekend and I hope it 60's good.
I don't pay a lot of attention to what the "stall" is at but look closer at shift recovery RPM which is what most converter vendors what to know as it's likely the best indicator of true "stall". You can manipulate what the converter rolls over at on the launch using several methods such as varying launch RPM, power applied, timing, fluid viscosity, etc. A data logger is the best tool to determine what it's doing at various points in the run. Slip % is an indicator of performance but what's more important is where in the run it is.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I don't pay a lot of attention to what the "stall" is at but look closer at shift recovery RPM which is what most converter vendors what to know as it's likely the best indicator of true "stall". You can manipulate what the converter rolls over at on the launch using several methods such as varying launch RPM, power applied, timing, fluid viscosity, etc. A data logger is the best tool to determine what it's doing at various points in the run. Slip % is an indicator of performance but what's more important is where in the run it is.
Shift recovery....that's the number to look at

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Converter is a Pro Torque. It worked pretty good on the weekend. Ran a best 8.05 at 169. I really need a data logger and will have one next year, just not in the budget right now. My 60' didn't improve much 1.21 was the best. MPH went up a tad. The important thing is it was consistent mph and et. I made 6 runs. 8.05 to 8.09. mph was 168 and 169 on all runs. It could benefit from a little more stall and lower gears I think to get the 60' better. I'm running 33" tires and 4.10 gears. I wasn't watching the RPM at the top end but I know it wasn't at 7200, my shift light never came on. With the other converter it was on way before the stripe. Some fine tuning the combination and it will go 7's. This is a ladder bar car too, not to bad eh?:) Thanks for the help guy's.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts