Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are you guys doing with your nitrous after a run? We have been shutting off the bottle and purging the line after the run. It is usually and hour or so before we run again. Is this the correct thing to do or can we just turn off the bottle? Seems we are wasting a lot of nitrous.

·
Registered
633 Posts
If you do just shut the bottle off and not purge it down make sure you turn the motor over several revolutions before you turn the ignition on to make sure the motor evacuates any nitrous just in case there was a little leakage.

·
I kill parts
10,121 Posts
I usually shut the 1/4 turn off and purge it off while deceling from the run. - The little nitrous wasted even over many years times and thousands of passes doesn't add up to as much $ as one good backfire would cost you if a solenoid ever leaked.

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I kill the activation switch on decel immediately after I pull the chute, after the car comes to a stop I shut the 1/4 turn off, purge the line, then get out to gather up the chute and throw it in the hatch.

·
T/S 368E
30,135 Posts

It's been a long time since I got 2 hits on a bottle, but IIRC I just closed the 1/4 turn & purged.
As JP said, it's not worth trying to catch a scoop or carb when it pops!!!
Spend the tiny bit of N2O to be safe!!!

·
Registered
478 Posts
Man back when I first started with nitrous, I'd leave the bottle on until it was time to change it. After one nitrous backfire from a leaking solenoid (big name, nearly new), I never leave nitrous in the line unless the motor is running. After a pass, shut valve off and purge it down before I shut off the engine. Send a couple carbs back to DaVinci to remove 8 expense aluminum tacos from the carbs makes whatever nitrous I purge down seem really cheap!!

·
Super Moderator
12,124 Posts
That is what I do. I don't close the bottle valve, only shut off 1/4 turn valve, and purge between the valve an solenoids.
This is what I'd do as well. You DO NOT want to leave nitrous pressure on the solenoid. Long durations of pressure and high pressure KILL the plungers fast. Also IF the plunger leaks at all, BOOM goes the carb when you go to start up..

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,083 Posts
When I was running nitrous the bottle was always open but the 1/4 turn valve got opened AFTER the burnout and as soon as I was through the traps I would close the 1/4 turn and purge as I was coasting to get onto the return road.

·
T/S 368E
30,135 Posts

I never purged while moving, but I do close the 1/4 turn on the track,
I did it after stopping then I shut off the computer & gathered up the chutes.
While moving I'm focusing 100% on where the other guy is.
Checking my mirror or watching him to make sure he's ok & he's in his lane, and in control!!!

I had a 5.90 car explode into flames in the other lane, and it really got my attention!!!
Obviously I was WAYYYYYYYY behind him when it erupted!!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I change bottle every pass, but what your doing works. It only takes one backfire from a leaking solenoid to change the way you operate. Loading a car on a trailer at 3000 rpm is not easy as I know from experience.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts