Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How many of you guys are running nitrogen in your daily driver, why did you go this route?
Tire shop fiiled my truck tires up with nitrogen without consulting me first. When I questioned them on it, he said it's free with 4 tires I bought. He goes on to tell me that if a tire gets low, I need to fill it with air and get it back to his shop to be deflated and refilled with nitrogen :confused:. I asked why, when nitrogen exist in "air" anyway???
He said that pure air mixed with the nitrogen will offset the balance of my tires creating premature wear. WTF :?

·
Registered
876 Posts
I think you'll be just fine putting some air in there and running it if a tire gets low. If he wants to refill it for free then let him do it, but if he's gonna charge you for a nitrogen fill then he can forget about it.

·
Registered
917 Posts
The nitrogen is just a more stable air. Doesn't drop as much when cold and doesnt go up as much when hot (better tire wear).
The air we breath it 78% nitrogen, so adding a little air will be fine. If they just use a nitrogen compressor to add air to the tire when installing it the purity level sould be about 93%. If they have a nitrogen generator "nitro fill" that machine pumps it up and lets the air out and then up again, which will get the purity level up to 97-98.

·
Registered
20,217 Posts
i was curious about the nit. also-somebody looked at my car and said with the green stem caps it had nit.
i never followed up on it, just added air
can you buy nit. in a can or something to top off a nit. filled tire?

·
Registered
6,132 Posts
I've never ran it but they say your supposed to get a better ride, better tire wear and almost never have to adjust pressure. Nitrogen isn't supposed to seep thru the rubber like air does. My question is if air is 78% nitrogen, if you had air in and added air a few times wouldn't you end up with nitrogen?

·
Registered
671 Posts
I pull 15000 lbs. On a regular basis & have 50000 miles on my tires so far.. I switched to nitrogen 1 week after I bought the tires & made a big difference in helping the sway on the trailer due to tire pressure not increasing with heat.. It really works!!!

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I pull 15000 lbs. On a regular basis & have 50000 miles on my tires so far.. I switched to nitrogen 1 week after I bought the tires & made a big difference in helping the sway on the trailer due to tire pressure not increasing with heat.. It really works!!!
What psi do you run your tires at compared to the max psi they are rated for?
The tires I buy max at 50 psi, I've always ran 45 psi, this seemed to get the most life out of the tires. This set with the nitro, the guy filled them to 35.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
PV=nRT

Just make sure your compressor is putting out dry air and there is no difference. Air is ~78% Nitrogen, ~21%oxygen and ~1% other....

So unless these tire shops are mounting the tires, pulling them down to total vacuum, then filling with pure nitrogen - youll always have other gases in the tire.

·
In the Beams.
21,997 Posts
I think you'll be just fine putting some air in there and running it if a tire gets low. If he wants to refill it for free then let him do it, but if he's gonna charge you for a nitrogen fill then he can forget about it.

X2

air is 80% nitrogen anyhow ...

·
its blingtiffic™
9,829 Posts
The nitrogen is just a more stable air. Doesn't drop as much when cold and doesnt go up as much when hot (better tire wear).
The air we breath it 78% nitrogen, so adding a little air will be fine. If they just use a nitrogen compressor to add air to the tire when installing it the purity level sould be about 93%. If they have a nitrogen generator "nitro fill" that machine pumps it up and lets the air out and then up again, which will get the purity level up to 97-98.

For the record you will NEVER get it to 97-98 % maybe if your lucky you'll get 95%.

Yea I have a NitroFill in the corner of my shop... Collects dust rather well;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you live in a climate whre it gets cold...you loose pressure no matter what..ive tried it and lost the same as air so no difference just wasted cash!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have nitrogen in my new car. It does not make a differnence in ride. The air pressure does flucuate a lot more than I expected, but not any more than normal air. This was free when I purchased the car, but I would never pay extra for it. It has been a year and I see no benefits to having it. I have regular air mixed in with 2 of the tires and they are wearing just fine.

·
Registered
671 Posts
What psi do you run your tires at compared to the max psi they are rated for?
The tires I buy max at 50 psi, I've always ran 45 psi, this seemed to get the most life out of the tires. This set with the nitro, the guy filled them to 35.
I keep mine @ 45psi also. Heat of the summer I've only seen a 2lb. Increase in pressure while pulling..

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I keep mine @ 45psi also. Heat of the summer I've only seen a 2lb. Increase in pressure while pulling..

Cool. I guess I'll leave it in there untill I have to pay 10 bucks per tire, up it to 45.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts