Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have it done?

I had new Hankook tires put on (EVO 12 fronts & EVO S1 275'sin the rear) He knows I drive the balls off my car & told me he can do nitrogen for me for free. So I said why not.

Had the tires on for about two weeks so far & around town they work great although I can break them lose in 1 & 2. I did my first highway trip yesterday, only about 60 miles. On the way to my wife's uncles house the car felt like it was on glass. I went to go around a car downshifted into 3rd & the rear end broke loose & got us sideways.
Steering seemed pretty responsive though. But like mentioned when merging lanes or on slightly different grades it just felt like it wanted to swing around constantly.

We got to the party & were there for 6 hours with the car parked on the grass in the sun(abotu 115 degrees) & the trip back home was a MUCH better ride.

I honestly have not done much research on nitrogen on the street. I know it is great for the oval track crowd. But I am not driving my car at 200 mph for 100+ miles.

After experiencing that I wont let my wife drive the car on the highway.
Is it possible to just take it back & tell him to fill it with regular air? I know they had one hell of a time getting the tires mounted & inflated.

I can say one thing. The MPG skyrocketed compared to the old clapped out shit I had prior. Went from 17 highway to 24.

·
Registered
5,761 Posts
I don't think the type of air used is affecting your traction issues.

If I remember right, people where using the nitrogen cause it doesn't leak down like regular air does. That is the extent of my knowledge on the subject.

Anyone have more to add that I/we might be missing?

·
Registered
666 Posts
Nitrogen will not affect traction, mpg, wear etc... The tires, proper inflation pressure, alignment and chassis all control that. Nitrogen in street tires is a nice little gimmick that retailers are able to charge you more money for. Is it worth it for race tracks, sure... but keep in mind that around 78% of the air you breathe and that goes into your tires with "normal air" is nitrogen already, and a properly mounted tire, clean beads etc... will not lose a lot of pressure anyways.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Two reason that I heard that they use nitrogen. 1) tire pressure stays constant even when tires are getting hot by use, I used nitrogen in my A/ED and I know at the end of the track, when I used air the tire pressure was always a little higher, with nitrogen there was very little or no change. 2) the impurities in air causes rot from the inside of the tire, nitrogen does not

·
Registered
370 Posts
your kidding yourself or on drugs that the 100% nitro caused your ill handling.

now the only things in regular air that degrade rubbers is ozone and moisture .
and most of all the uv light .
tires come with protectant on them inside and out to slow this down .
using nitro will have a limited benefit in tread and sidewall life due to cracking .
using a dry air and a uv blocker dressing with no silcone is best $$$

·
coffee extraordinaire
11,218 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Not saying it did. I was asking, as I have have never used it before. I know about the temp properties. I was just wondering if it were possible that it is causing the tires not to get hot enough( air gets got, hence the increase in PSI, which inturn gets the tire hotter) to use their full handling potential.

Like I stated, on the trip home after sitting in the sun it handled great. I keep the car parked in the shade all the time & at most the "legal" speed limit here is only 65mph on the highway.

I have tried doing a few burn outs over a few heat cycles when I first got the tires to "break them in" so to speak. That seemed to help a litte. I have around 300 miles on them.

Tires I am using

·
Registered
370 Posts
there is a normal breakin from flexing and tire psi the first couple of uses .
if these were older tire ck the date code.its poss. that the compound is dry and your scrubbing them off.
unless it is a open wheel car its hard to get them all heated and even by the sun .best to set psi and keep them shaded .
some of the hard racing cars on street tires have used a higher starting tire psi by 3-5 psi to get the same effect as you described from the lack of expansion of the other gases .
still not sold on the benifits of nitro . this stuff is put out by the tire industry .the same people that sell tires by saying its best 2 put the new tires in the rear of a fwd car .
i asked one question to these "experts " at sema show symposium .then why do we rotate tires that wear from front to back ? place went silent ,then the guy said its for better tire wear not safety. next question

·
Registered
147 Posts
I use Nitrogen in my 09 2500HD, it keeps the tire pressure more constant from run to run. I air my tires down when getting to the track and even on 90+ degree days I only get about a 1psi change. The only reason I did it at first is I am a HVAC contractor and have Nitrogen bottles for doing A/C work, I did not want to have to bring a generator and air compressor to the track to fill the tires back up to drive home. Now it's nice not having to screw with my tire pressure all day at the track.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts