Yellow Bullet Forums banner

101 - 120 of 120 Posts

·
Head Phuckstick
18,500 Posts
SKINNER, CROSSER AND JOBE AA/FD! This is the second recreation by Bob Higginsn built to the 1963 specs but with the engine built to 1966 specs as when they won the Fuel and Gas Championships beating everyone!

First day firing the Skinner, Crosser & Jobe (later The Surfers) front engine fuel dragster on 97% Nitro (3% Toluene). The car is built to its 1963 version however the engine is built as it was when it won the 1966 U.S. Fuel & Gas Championships otherwise known as the March Meet. Bob Higginson did a wonderful job recreating the car and if you want to hear and see it, come out to Nitro Revival at Barona Raceway later this year!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHyyMZoSCks

TURN IT UP!!!!

Dave
Bad Ass!!

Shannon

·
time to go racing yet ?
30,077 Posts
that thing sounds goooooddddd........... i have been hoarding parts for a few yrs now to build a cackle car, down to pistons, blower and a few other small parts for the hemi then i can build the car.....

·
Aviation Section
23,268 Posts
that thing sounds goooooddddd........... i have been hoarding parts for a few yrs now to build a cackle car, down to pistons, blower and a few other small parts for the hemi then i can build the car.....
Jobe is still around and is actually helping with this second recreation, his front wheels he built himself are on this car just like the original car from years ago. You can bet his tune-up is in the car as well to be able to run 97%!!!, pistons .400 down in the whole and the nozzles below the 4 port just where he wants them!

This thing could be heard over the other cars easily at a cacklefest and at night it must have flames 20 feet high! FTW!

Dave

·
Aviation Section
23,268 Posts
WHAT WILL PROLLY BE THE LAST INSTALLMENT OF THE BILL PITTS SERIES ON THE SURFERS! SAD TO SEE BUT WE ALL KNEW IT HAD TO END ONE DAY!

Dave, with a tear in his eye!

·
Registered
16,525 Posts
Yep, it had to end - but I didn't want it to. I believe I've watched the whole series between 2-3 times. Simply good stuff!

·
Aviation Section
23,268 Posts
Little story from Don Garlits about him having to run the 426, he was not happy about it and loved his 392, here is how he got the 426 to finally run better then his 392! This was published in Hot Rod magazine.

“I’d figured out what I was going to do,” he says. “I was going to run the 426, blow it up, load it up, and go back to the 392. Walk away from the Dodge sponsorship, the whole mess. So the next day I put 40 degrees spark lead in the thing — we couldn’t run more than 34 in the 392 or they’d split the cylinder walls. Everyone knew that, so we all ran the 426 the same. My crew was sure I was going to blow it up. They had the backup engine in the truck, ready to go. Well, I make the run, and what do you think it runs? 214 mph! A new world record. We get it back to the pits and drop the pan, expecting to see damage, and it looks beautiful, we didn’t even change the oil! So I get the wrench on the magneto to try more, and the crew is begging me not to, saying ‘Big, it’s a nice engine! It just ran a world record! Don’t blow it up!’ but I got to know, so I go for 50 degrees, and it runs 219. That was it, that was the end of the 392 for me.”

Soon other racers figured out the secret and by the end of the decade the 426 Hemi was ruling racetracks in almost every configuration. The engine’s race rep followed it to the street, and it took a brave soul to line up at a stoplight against anything with a Hemi badge on the hood. Today street Hemi cars command sky-high prices, and it continues to be the engine architecture of choice in contemporary Top Fuel and Funny Car racing, a fact Garlits puts down to it being “the best tool for the job,” and Bill Weertman describes as “very flattering.”
So, yes, Tom Hoover, you should be proud.

Dave

·
Aviation Section
23,268 Posts
I’ll leave this here!

https://youtu.be/FocGeooImgQ

Bob has it running and got Mr. Jobe by his side!

Shannon
Thank you sir for that! The car that Bob built with his friends is the most accurate reproduction of the original car, even down to the parts that were identical to what was originally run, and he had the support of Tom Jobe! Those are the wheels that Tom made on the front of the car just like he did for the original back in the day!

I want to believe the original car still exists and some really sharp guy has it stored away in the rafters somewhere just waiting for the right time to reveal it and put it up for sale, it will be worth a ton to any oldtimer with money and will be the draw at any cacklefest!

Dave

·
Head Phuckstick
18,500 Posts
Thank you sir for that! The car that Bob built with his friends is the most accurate reproduction of the original car, even down to the parts that were identical to what was originally run, and he had the support of Tom Jobe! Those are the wheels that Tom made on the front of the car just like he did for the original back in the day!

I want to believe the original car still exists and some really sharp guy has it stored away in the rafters somewhere just waiting for the right time to reveal it and put it up for sale, it will be worth a ton to any oldtimer with money and will be the draw at any cacklefest!

Dave
Not a problem. I’ve been following Bob and talked to him several time. He as a piece of Surfers art I want badly but just bought a house and the funds ain’t quite there yet. But it will go nicely in my collection.

Shannon

·
Aviation Section
23,268 Posts
I’ll leave this here!

https://youtu.be/FocGeooImgQ

Bob has it running and got Mr. Jobe by his side!

Shannon
You can see the old guy in the background with the black T shirt on, he got a little too close to that 98% and knew he had to get the fuck out of there! Everyone behind the car was scrambling!

Dave

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I've been to the chrr a few times over the years and love the old cackle cars there when they are on nitro the sound and smell is something you need to see in person.those old guys that drove them had balls of steel.

i went to the march meet and i must say i missed the cackle cars not being there.

·
Aviation Section
23,268 Posts
What a difference between 98% in the Surfer re-creation and the WCM car in cackle condition! It must be just what was said back in the day, everyone was struggling to run 70% and the Surfers were at 98% or the whole can and doing it reliably!

Even then everyone said you could hear the Surfmobile over the other rails it was soooo nasty!

Dave

·
Aviation Section
23,268 Posts
101 - 120 of 120 Posts