Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering If anyone has been Sucessfull mixing a little Nitro in Alky to pickup a tenth or two? At what %? What to do with jet size etc? Im looking into 10-20% of Nitro to 80-90 alky, would there be a gain? Is it worth it? I know all the health dangers of this stuff etc, and how its Volital etc. But I dont want to burn up my enigne, I might know were a test engine is to lean on, and test:party

·
T/S 368E
35,206 Posts

I've seen some of my pro-mod buddies use it. Some for fun, some for nitro coupes. IIRC, they stay under 30% so they can use their fuel system.
Nitro coupes have a % limit also. You have to be real careful mixing & tuning. I've seen a few rods come out while they were learning.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Ok before you play there are a couple of things.
1. I would suggest you stay under 33% ( that seems to be a corss over number)
2. Are we talking carb or injection?
3. Nitro will make buna N rubber mushy over time so o'rings need to be viton
4. If you run it lean on idle you will get this really nice chip/squek out of the exhaust
5. as noted M5 already has nitro added to it is much easier to use. ( thats is what I am presently testing)
As Ask noted Spud ( fuel injection enterprises) has the best nitro info online. It is the 1 fuel that there is very limited onfo on but gain of .10 - .20 are possible with under 30%

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Viton O rings will swell up like Bicycle tubes when exposed to Methanol.
Never had that problem. I have been using viton for 10 years running methanol and methanol/nitro. The nitro make sstandard buna N crap out quick. As a rule I change my O-rings every few months. There are some materials but viton is very easy to get.

·
Registered
5,403 Posts
Viton O rings will swell up like Bicycle tubes when exposed to Methanol.
I just went and looked at the spare O-rings I have as I mark the size, material on the package and what I use them for.
The viton will handle gas, ethanol, or methanol.
When adding Nitromethane you need to use EPDM O-rings but be warned EPDM is not compatible with gas.
If you are running mechanical fuel injection and running a Kinsler High Speed by-pass you will need to replace the neoprene diaphram with a teflon one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.