Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Vendor
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was curious to see your opinions on which Nikon Full-Frame camera really shines above the rest. Which one has the stellar images and quality high ISO shooting? Which is the best bang for your buck? Is it more worth while to just go with the DX000 series? Whatcha got, Yellow Bullet?

-Matt PST

·
Co-Founder E3xtreme.com
6,896 Posts
I was curious to see your opinions on which Nikon Full-Frame camera really shines above the rest. Which one has the stellar images and quality high ISO shooting? Which is the best bang for your buck? Is it more worth while to just go with the DX000 series? Whatcha got, Yellow Bullet?

-Matt PST
What are you looking to shoot with it? What is your budget? Does it need to do video? If you are looking for an all around great body look at the D750. If you are wanting to spend a fortune ($6500+) wait until the Nikon D5 comes out next year. It all comes down to know how to use what you have and buying the right equipment for what you are needing it to do.

·
Vendor
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well currently I mostly shoot on my Nikon D3200. It was my first journey into Nikon. I got it because my photo partner also uses Nikon, and we figured it would be more efficient and fun to try it out. I love that thing. Sure it's not the most expensive camera but that thing bangs out some photos like nobody's business! I'm looking to expand now. I'm contemplating selling it, buying a D5500, and then just saving and waiting for the D5 to come out or somebody's post-holiday upgrade sale.

-Matt PST

·
Registered
20,704 Posts
.......... It was my first journey into Nikon.

-Matt PST
I shoot Canons, which as we all know are REAL cameras lol

The thing is, it's really easy to get more camera than you are a photographer. I can't speak in Nikon terms, but in "my world" I went from a low end old Xt to a 40D (a pair) to now 7D (a pair.) I see NO reason to "go more." The differences are often NOT in the sensors but in "other stuff" like focus speed AND ACCURACY.

And as always "it's the glass." Since my Canons can use either "crop" specialty lenses or full frame lenses, that's not an issue. But a full frame camera MUST have "full frame" lenses AND they MUST be very high quality, as it takes a better lens to accurately cover the larger sensor. This implies, EG, that a lens for a full frame that is of slightly lesser quality, and has some issues in the outer regions of the photo might just do better on a crop body where the outer region is "not there."

I guess what I'm saying here is that full frame is not a cure all.

·
Registered
758 Posts
Well currently I mostly shoot on my Nikon D3200. It was my first journey into Nikon. I got it because my photo partner also uses Nikon, and we figured it would be more efficient and fun to try it out. I love that thing. Sure it's not the most expensive camera but that thing bangs out some photos like nobody's business! I'm looking to expand now. I'm contemplating selling it, buying a D5500, and then just saving and waiting for the D5 to come out or somebody's post-holiday upgrade sale.

-Matt PST
I'm using the d3200 and it takes great pics and can't beat the price $449 at target right now

·
Co-Founder E3xtreme.com
6,896 Posts

-Matt PST
Matt...email me.
[email protected] and we will chat about your needs.

·
Vendor
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I actually ended up buying the Nikon D5500, and not going full frame. I LOVE it. It takes great photos, and it's incredibly user friendly and ergonomic. The touch/flip screen is also pretty cool. :cool: Definitely a great camera.

-Matt PST

·
Co-Founder E3xtreme.com
6,896 Posts
I actually ended up buying the Nikon D5500, and not going full frame. I LOVE it. It takes great photos, and it's incredibly user friendly and ergonomic. The touch/flip screen is also pretty cool. :cool: Definitely a great camera.

-Matt PST
The D5500 is definitely a solid camera to have. I know a lot of people love the touch screen as well.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Can I ask why you picked the 5500 and not the 7500?

·
Senior Moment
6,992 Posts
...you mean the 750??....there is no 7500

·
Vendor
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did a fair bit of research and came to the conclusion that the D5500 with all of it's features and specs was near perfect and right in the budget I was looking to spend. And honestly it turned out great! The upgrade in Megapixels and Dynamic Range is so much more pleasing to the eye. Not to mention the live viewing monitor is quite pleasing, because it's huge lmao. *Queue slingshot channel voice* "Let me show you it's features".

-Matt PST

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Actually yes I did make a mistake I meant to say the 7100.

·
Vendor
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I thought the D5500 was the better buy, AND it was cheaper. It had better features in my opinion, and it does what I need it to do. It has higher ISO settings, and lower noise at higher ISO performance. It's smaller, and lighter. It may not be rain sealed but I don't shoot in the rain anyways really. I felt none of the advantages of the 7100 were performance related. Also, the touch/swivel screen, man! Sure I'm missing out on the Pentaprism set up but that's okay :)

-Matt PST

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
Thanks for your input, much appreciated, I'll look at the 5500 more closely.

·
Vendor
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I would check it out! And as always it's about which camera is more suitable for you! I could send you some of my snapshots if you'd like to see how it performs. Also, Stangman your pictures are pretty good! I definitely spent a bit of time lurking your stuff haha.

-Matt PST

·
Registered
36 Posts
Sorry to dig up an old thread but I wanted to comment because in the last decade while I got out of the hot rod game, I got very heavy into photography. I've had a few Nikon cameras. In this order, I've had a D70, D3100, D90, D5100, D3, V1, D2x, D50, and J4 . Towards the end of my photography stint, I had the D3, D2x, and D50 at the same time. My D3 and D2x (fully professional sports cameras) were for serious outings and all my lenses (80-200 AFS, 50 1.4 AFS, 16-35, 85 1.8 AFS) along with all my other photog gear would go along with those two pro bodies. The D50 was just the beater and had an old 50mm 1.8 AFD mounted to it at all times. That went if I was trying to travel light. Anyhow......

After everything I learned about photography, I sold EVERYTHING and replaced it all with a tiny little Nikon J4 and only two lenses. The 32mm f1.2 and the 10-30mm 3.5-5.6 VR. Why?

If I have any advice to give, and I can tell you this with 100% certainty, it's this: if you're not a full time pro photographer, you DO NOT need a pro camera (D2, D700, D3, D4, D5, etc).

The full frame sensor itself will give you a little bit better low light and dynamic range capability. If you have to ask what that is, then I can assure you, it won't be of any benefit, at least none that you will notice. The magnesium body with weather proofing will be of almost no benefit. Pro's throw around their cameras all day everyday like a tool because to them, IT LITERALLY IS A TOOL. The casual photographer doesn't need the durability of a magnesium bodied, full frame camera. If you dropped your plastic camera and broke it, you don't need a tougher camera, you need a strap. The most expensive current top of the line DSLR (Nikon D5) to the untrained eye has nearly identical image quality to the least expensive current DSLR (D3400?). A seasoned pro could take an arguably better picture with a cell phone than most of us could with a D5. I loved posting pictures on photography forums that I took with my 40 dollar craigslist, 6 megapixel D50, removing the EXIF data so they couldn't see which camera I used, and saying that they were pics that I took with my D3. Getting the occasional "Oh, the D3 is so amazing....." was a real eye opener. These are "photographers" that can't even tell that this picture is from a 10 year old, cheap, bottom of the line 6 megapixel DSLR.

Don't waste your money on an expensive camera. A craigslist or ebay D5100 can take downright phenomenal photos if you learn how to use it. Save the big money for car parts. :-D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts