Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14,759 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm curious about something. I don't want to come off as complaining about this like some of the other threads. I really don't expect anything to change just for me. ;) But I've been away from drag racing since the late 70s and just geting back into it the last couple years. I'm noticing most tracks run their programs into the night, some into the wee hours. My buddy was saying the other day that he went several rounds one time and the sun was coming up as he towed home.

So hows come everything is run at night now? Is it to replicate late night street racing? Does it really bring in more people? I would think track owners would want to save on the electric bill. I do know that most didn't have the lighting they do today which would explain getting done early. Back in the old days we used to run Sundays and be wrapped up in time to stop for dinner. Winners were buying. lol

So what's up with the night owl racing and when did it start?

·
Registered
33,081 Posts
Here in AZ - we race at night because it's simply too miserable during the day - and there's no way anybody is hooking with a 150° track temp.

·
nightmare on any street..
5,033 Posts
The NC summer is a brutal bitch. Half our tracks race at night and the others race durning the day and when it's 100*+ it's just not any fun!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts
AT PRP we started racing later a few years ago (big car time trials at 3:00). The idea / reason was to increase car count. Rumor has it that many people worked Saturday morning or late Friday night and the later start encouraged a better turn out. Not sure how it is working out, but i would prefer an earlier start, gates open at 8 and time trials start at 10. they also are getting jr dragsters and TCR out of the way before the main program.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Most of it is because they have added junior dragsters and now teenager racing series to the days events. Neither of those need the big cars running around while they are learning. So the big guys get to start late. I know a lot of guys who couldn't race on Saturdays if they started early because so many shops mandate working a half day on Saturdays or because they work midnights and going straight from work to the track is a killer and makes for a lousy day. My guess is turnouts are better with later starts. Maybe not a huge difference but better none the less.

On the other hand Norwalk puts 600 cars through the gate on an average day. They usually go past midnight. A few other tracks take that long to put a 200 car show on. Why? Lazy and inexperienced track operators.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
A big contributing aspect to the late running local races is the "buy backs" so feverishly participated in by the present day racer. This process adds a tremendous amount of time to the length of the day's event !

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
A big contributing aspect to the late running local races is the "buy backs" so feverishly participated in by the present day racer. This process adds a tremendous amount of time to the length of the day's event !
wish we ran at night..I love running at night....;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts