Yellow Bullet Forums banner

101 - 120 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Nick's problem with the loss of power is most likely caused by the new '72-'73 340 distributor which has an advance curve that is actually toxic for the old Hemi. An early '70s smog 340 (or any other LA engine) distributor advance curve is not remotely similar to the curve in the original 1954 241 Hemi distributor and will actually damage the Hemi.

Nick looked at the plugs and thought it was lean, but already saw that richer A/F made less power. The original jetting was right ....... whowoodathunkit ......... the Mopar engineers knew what to do in 1954.

The plug looked lean because it was hot from way too much advance. I think (look it up later) the 241 Hemi curve is only 20 crank degrees and the smog early '70s distributor might have 40 crank degrees. The early Hemi only needs 26 total, so, if the timing is set so the engine will idle acceptably, with the new distributor it will have way ..... way ...... way too much total.

The compression ratio in the 241 is low enough it might not knock but it will be down on power and overheat from too much timing.

That rusty looking original distributor has the right advance setup for the engine and could easily be refurbished to look and work like new, all it needs is some time in an ultrasonic cleaner with some Zep Rust Eraser, maybe new bushings, some paint, and some time in the distributor machine. I've fixed them up that looked worse than that .
Didnt mopar sell a 'race' distributor in the 90s/2000s that had an advance that was all done at 26 or something close to that degrees?

I fitted one once to a guys 360, he had bought the dizzy and asked me to fit it to the motor. A little while later he took it to a workshop, they threw a timing light on it and told him 'whoever fitted your distributor fucked it'
:ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
I'm waiting for the "600hp" BBC that only made 300 or so HP back on the dyno.

·
Low Life
1,965 Posts
I watched them dyno the pink 427 bbc with a 300 shot yesterday. I wasnt overly impressed but it did survive the runs so it should be a good engine.

·
Registered
8,771 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Nick's Friday night "Live" rerun, thanking his viewers for the stuff they sent him.

101 - 120 of 129 Posts