Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone ever had a failure or puncture of the nickle copper line compared to steel? I know to build for worse case scenario.and steel is stronger. Just wondering if anyone has used it with good or bad results.It is so much easier to use.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I can't speak to the longevity, but I just ran a set of nicu lines and they were an absolute dream to work with. Way way way nicer than steel

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I have not yet used the nickle/copper brake lines personally, but I understand that several OEMs in Europe, such as Mercedes and BMW are using them on their production vehicles. (Probably is being used in USA OEM applications too, but I don't have valid information on this subject at this time)

·
Registered
9,854 Posts
I have not yet used the nickle/copper brake lines personally, but I understand that several OEMs in Europe, such as Mercedes and BMW are using them on their production vehicles. (Probably is being used in USA OEM applications too, but I don't have valid information on this subject at this time)
I ever knew anything about them until I bought a Volvo, when I put it in the air I was very surprised to see it had copper brake lines from the factory, especially since Volvo is well-known to go the extra mile for safety.
Anyways, this was after I had been running steel brake lines for 10 years or so, after which I only asked my supplier for copper, since they’re so easy to run and route. I’ve never had a failure, (same can be said about steel although steel lines do rot and fail) and they are much easier to get a nice flare from, and even if the flares aren’t perfect, when you tighten the tube nut, the lines conforms and corrects the flare.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Has anyone ever had a failure or puncture of the nickle copper line compared to steel? I know to build for worse case scenario.and steel is stronger. Just wondering if anyone has used it with good or bad results.It is so much easier to use.
I have ni/cop on my car and its been good. It couldnt be easier to work with, however the only complaint I had in the beginning was making flares. You have to learn to not really tighten ot down like you would steel lines. I made the mistake of tightening it too much and it actually smashed down the flare to where it leaked out of the fitting. I made a new flare about 3 times before I figured out wtf was going on. Other than that its worked great for me and been on my car about 2 years now.

·
Registered
7,713 Posts
a car I had for 32 years came with a copper brake line on it,, when I sold it it still had that illegal copper line on it,,, even though one of the legal steel lines failed during that time and required replacing,,,

·
Registered
16,547 Posts
Much better product imo. I used it in my Chevy II build and will be using it in the C10 truck I am building. All around a better product.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Remember, we are talking about nickle/copper tubing material here. Copper tubing should NEVER be used to plumb automotive brake systems, as it will not hold up to the pressures encountered in this type of application.

Reactions: Coloradoracer

·
Registered
1 Posts
Have used the ncop in plenty of applications including 1 ton plus trucks used n heavy tow and off road operations. Never seen a failure yet.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just replumbed my whole brake system with Ultrabend nicop from Summit. Easy to work with and polishes up real nice with a little Mothers. Its good to hear positive results.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The only drawback I found with Ni/Cu line is that you can only bend it a limited number of times in the same spot before it seems to get stiff. It flares much easier, it bends easier, it seals easier than and it's more corrosion resistant than steel line.

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
I've got the back of my car plumbed with it for the last 5 years, I'll do the front eventually.

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have two 90's Chevys so I know about ni cop!
No problems with it in service.
As mentioned, be careful making double flares. It's not like using steel tubing. Less torque needed to flare.

I buy it in rolls. I have a block that I mount in my vice. I pull it thru to get it relatively straight.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
I plan to use it for a couple of my projects and bought cheap premade line assortment kits off ebay, prob should of just got a roll and made my own fittings but for these projects I wasn't trying to make them the lightest.

·
Registered
505 Posts
I used it on my Cutlass this winter when I put a new rear axle in it. The stuff works so easy. I'll never use steel lines again.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts