Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2,888 Posts
Add 1 more and make all 3 the same size as the back net.

They've got to be able to catch it,,not just slow it down.

·
My Own Worst Enemy
3,411 Posts
Can we go back to a 1/4 mile now ?

·
Banned
71,969 Posts
I think it looks alot better than what most tracks have today.

Does anyone have any up-dates on the New Jersey State Police investigation regarding Scott Kallita's death?

Interested too.

·
Registered
2,696 Posts
I don't like the fencing all along the sides!!! In the event of a fire it will slow down the response time due to the fact that the responders will have to come up the track through the gravel in order to reach the car.

·
Registered
8,263 Posts
I don't like the fencing all along the sides!!! In the event of a fire it will slow down the response time due to the fact that the responders will have to come up the track through the gravel in order to reach the car.
There's a trade off. You either keep the car in play to catch the nets, or you have a chance of it missing the nets altogether, or even worse, catching a net pole.

You won't please everyone, but this is probably the best safety option currently available. It's a great step in the right direction.

Maybe they could put in a fire sprinkler system that safety crews could activate.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I think it would help to have a retracting net about 1/3 into the sand. By retracting I mean that when a car hits it the car will continue forward, but being slowed by the net. Maybe a pulley system where the cables are dragging a couple thousand pound weights thru their own sand pit outside the concrete walls. You could also have a speed sensitive emergency brake for cars that hit the first net with exceptional speed. This would be like an elevator brake, which is proven, reliable technology.

The net would require resetting if was used, move the weights back and re-groom the sand they displaced.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
It looks like it should be near zero maintenance, in all but the worst accidents. You might level the sand back out. Will anything need to be fixed if a car hits a net?

While it's cheap and good for business I'm not convinced a safe sandtrap is going to be that simple unless you have what most tracks don't, LOTS OF SPACE.

·
Motorboatin SOB
10,309 Posts
I dont like the fact that say, a car comes from the left lane across the right right before this trap it can run into the end of the concrete barrier...shouldve been angles some I think.

Its a step in the right direction though.

·
Registered
4,735 Posts
I dont like the fact that say, a car comes from the left lane across the right right before this trap it can run into the end of the concrete barrier...shouldve been angles some I think.

Its a step in the right direction though.
You mean if you make a sharp turn at the end of the track you might hit the wall in the sandtrap? LOL, can't do everything. It appears to be wider than the track, so if you are sliding down the guard rail/retaining wall of the track you will get dumped into the sand without contacting anything.

·
Registered
313 Posts
What about a giant vat of some kind of water soluable fire retardant crash foam, like cool whip (lol), that the car just kind of splats into. It would put out the fire, wash off easily, stop the car safely and minimize rollover type impacts. Just a thought. (my only one for the day so try not to bash it too hard)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.