Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
T/S 368E
27,655 Posts

Good, that is a little too fast.

I still say the plan to set them back to 4.90's @ 300 in the full 1320' was the best idea!!!!

·
Registered
26,407 Posts
Sorry, but they needed to do something. 340 mph in 1,000 foot is insane. Sooner, or later guys and gals are gonna be killed or maimed for life. Ain’t worth it.

·
Registered
36,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So what will this new rule change do ?

Limit the power in the same manner as a NASCAR restrictor plate that goes between the carburetor (before they switched to EFI) and the intake manifold....until the teams figure out how to get it back anyway, like they always seem to do.

·
The Phantom Machinist
1,916 Posts
I’d like to see a whole new combo

460” rule, (same bore, 4.125” stroke)
single mag, spec pump
98% Nitro max
two speed, foot clutch
Blower and inlet area rule.
1/4 mile at some races
9000rpm limit.

Make these cars need to be driven again instead of having them just pedal stompers.

·
T/S 368E
27,655 Posts

Not sure how changing a few inches makes a difference, but take away air, fuel & spark sure & hell will.

4.90's @ 300 1320' would let them eat for a while before needing more changes.

·
Registered
36,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
460” rule, (same bore, 4.125” stroke)
single mag, spec pump
98% Nitro max
two speed, foot clutch
Blower and inlet area rule.
1/4 mile at some races
9000rpm limit.

9000rpm and 98 percent? That should be interesting....:)

Other than the nitro, you're pretty much describing a TAFC - which indeed is a real handful to stage and drive. And a few years back, NHRA worked with one of the teams who put together a 426, small pump and limited the blower overdrive (which to me makes a hell of a lot more sense than installing a plate) - which produced a 4.20/290-something 1000' pass....3 tenths and 30 or so mph slower than they're running now. But nobody wanted to pursue it further.

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
well it is always a bit of a battle between the regulators and the engineers,,, sad it always has to come to this... But T/F and the like has been a contrived formula for quite some time now

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Supercharger inlet restrictor tested and ready to implement "at any given moment" and they've already served notice to the teams. Thanks, Capps - you could have at least cracked 340 before everybody gets neutered... :p
http://competitionplus.com/drag-racing/news/nhra-prepared-to-curtail-340-mph-with-rule-change
What the article didn't include was the minimum weight going up 5#'s on TF & 15#'s on FC. Also MSD Grid mandatory for all cars as well as No Ti axle allowed in rear end.

So when they say it's going to be a costs savings, it really isn't when everyone will most likely require new cases on the supercharger and some modification to injector base. That is not going to be cheap for the teams that have the funding for it and I feel it's going to make it harder for the smaller teams who generally don't buy new stuff to purchase this equipment to be legal.

Hopefully they're going to allow some type of adapter so this doesn't hinder the lesser funded teams.

But we are talking about NItro and nothing is cheap that has the yellow fuel in it!! Lol

·
Registered
9,771 Posts
IMO the mathematical possibility is still in play. RPM X gear ratio X tire size, as long as it is possible crew chiefs will figure out how to make the power to get there.
NHRA needs to change one of the "mechanical" limits so it becomes impossible to do.

·
DamCoonass
14,681 Posts
What the article didn't include was the minimum weight going up 5#'s on TF & 15#'s on FC. Also MSD Grid mandatory for all cars as well as No Ti axle allowed in rear end.

So when they say it's going to be a costs savings, it really isn't when everyone will most likely require new cases on the supercharger and some modification to injector base. That is not going to be cheap for the teams that have the funding for it and I feel it's going to make it harder for the smaller teams who generally don't buy new stuff to purchase this equipment to be legal.

Hopefully they're going to allow some type of adapter so this doesn't hinder the lesser funded teams.

But we are talking about NItro and nothing is cheap that has the yellow fuel in it!! Lol
I wonder if they’ll let smaller teams like Haddock, Deihl, Dunn etc keep running like they are to keep em in the show.

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Every time a rule gets mandated, the teams just spend more time figuring out how to go faster.
Who's smarter? The corporate guys coming up with the rules, or the crew chiefs that have been doing this their whole lives?

·
Registered
36,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
IMO the mathematical possibility is still in play. RPM X gear ratio X tire size, as long as it is possible crew chiefs will figure out how to make the power to get there.

Problem with that is that all 3 of those - RPM, gear ration and tire size - are already limited. The rev limiter (actually a quick-acting timing retard device) is set, I believe, at 7900...gear ratio is mandated at 3.20 and tire size is mandated at 36.0 X 17.5.

The real magic is in the can....as in clutch application. And did someone say they're adding 5 pounds to the dragsters? Now just what the hell is that supposed to accomplish?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts