Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
11,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Should the NHRA consider changing PRO MOD Class from 1/4 mile to 1/8 Mile Distance ??

For those who really support 1/4 mile Pro Mod Drag Racing please remember this just a discussion and it would be neat to hear how people feel about such.

Currently NHRA is the only Association running a Competitive Pro Mod Class 1/4 mile. NMCA, PDRA, MWPMA, NE Pro Mods and several other regional series currently are running 1/8th Mile.

I believe many of the best Pro Mod Teams in the World run NHRA Pro Mod. I believe the NHRA as an Association is Tops in the World of Pro Mod Racing with respect to Competition & Spectator Support. With this in mind it saddens me to know that NHRA Pro Mod is not relevant to local or regional Pro Mod Associations and Clubs. Note I did NOT say NHRA Racing is not good....in Fact NHRA Pro Mod Racing is ultra competitive and very exciting. The point I'm trying to make is this: NHRA Pro Mod Drag Racing is considered to be the "Major League" of Pro Mod Racing. Baseball and many other Professional Sport Leagues Major League then lower Leagues that play the same exact game with same rules. "IF" the TOP Pro Mod Racing Series in the World were running 1/8th Mile Distance it would Provide the following advantages:

1) Rules would be similar thus allowing teams in regional / local series to chart & compare their performances to the "Big Boys". Today we can watch a NHRA Pro Mod run 5.65 in the 1/4 mile and it will have NO relevance to the 3.75 we ran on same day. Different rules and different distance makes it a totally different animal.

2) If NHRA were 1/8 mile it could expect many more teams to find a way to run " With the Big Boys on the Big Stage".

3) Other !/8 mile vs 1/4 mile advantages come into play as well.....While any Pro Mod Drag Racing is Dangerous you can't deny racing half the distance at a lower speed would result in less crashes, less mechanical failure and also would make Pro Mod driver reactions even more key in earning round WIN. In the 1/8th mile if you can't cut a good light you going down.

Soooo much more to say and this has been on my mind for quite some time. I David Hance hereby suggest NHRA consider changing Pro Mod Class to 1/8th mile distance asap. I feel this will increase car count at NHRA Pro Mod events and I also strongly feel such a move would help grow Local and Regional Pro Mod Associations both in the USA & Internationally. These very same local series would then act as a feeder system supplying NHRA with lots of great Teams wanting to run a the Big Stage without having to change much.

Opinions & Comments are welcome....

·
Registered
14,201 Posts
Drag racing is quarter mile and should be if you have the distance for stopping. If i am not mistaken Pro Mod resulted from top sportsman both were originally being 1/4 mile classes. Why not just race for 60ft times and be done with it if its for safety.

HDRA, Holeshot Drag Racing Assoc. they run 100ft.. They run in cities with no drag strips they use the straight away on an oval track.

·
Banned
9,406 Posts
Definitely not. NHRA is a real professional organization that should stay 1/4 mile. Unless the cars become to fast to stop safely they should stick to what they are doing. I think what keeps the junk cars out of NHRA is that its 1/4 mile. With open fields and 1/8 you will get people in there that do not have the ability to qualify but are just there to be in the "big show". IMO those kind of people do not need to be there risking a crash or oil down wasting time cleaning up the mess.

·
11,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Pro Mod Vette you do bring up valid point about quality of Cars showing up.... experience and run history could be introduced. You can also say you have to run specific ET in local competition before attempting to qualify at NHRA Event...there can be something put into place to deal with that.

For those who say NHRA has always been 1/4 mile.... I say to you sometimes the plan must change and ya gotta roll with the times. Right now NHRA Pro Mod is NOT reflect what is happening outside their gates.

For those who say why not just run 60ft .... yes I get that but lets try to be real. 1/8 mile / running 660ft is still a challenge that requires skill. Racing 1/8th mile is quite exciting and the drivers roll becomes even more important . To those who are opposed to 1/8th mile I wonder why ?? Some say 1/4 mile is the way of professionals....to that I say you can have a Professional 1/8th mile association.

Can somebody tell me what the disadvantages are of running 1/8th Pro Mod ?? On the positive side we would have closer racing, more holeshots, less oil downs, reduced # of accidents since some accidents happen on the back half, Quicker Turn around time and quite possibly a huge influx of new / fresh teams and more power adder types... How cool would it be to see half Dozen Nitrous Pro Mods attempting to qualify at a NHRA National event ??

Will NHRA change its Pro Mod Class to 1/8th mile ?? Prob not in the short term but it should be something they look into. All businesses should always look into making their product better and more appealing and NHRA Pro Mod is no different.

To keep the discussion going please share your opinion as to why NHRA Pro Mod going 1/8th mile would be Good or Bad for the Class ??

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Should the NHRA consider changing PRO MOD Class from 1/4 mile to 1/8 Mile Distance ??

For those who really support 1/4 mile Pro Mod Drag Racing please remember this just a discussion and it would be neat to hear how people feel about such.

Currently NHRA is the only Association running a Competitive Pro Mod Class 1/4 mile. NMCA, PDRA, MWPMA, NE Pro Mods and several other regional series currently are running 1/8th Mile.

I believe many of the best Pro Mod Teams in the World run NHRA Pro Mod. I believe the NHRA as an Association is Tops in the World of Pro Mod Racing with respect to Competition & Spectator Support. With this in mind it saddens me to know that NHRA Pro Mod is not relevant to local or regional Pro Mod Associations and Clubs. Note I did NOT say NHRA Racing is not good....in Fact NHRA Pro Mod Racing is ultra competitive and very exciting. The point I'm trying to make is this: NHRA Pro Mod Drag Racing is considered to be the "Major League" of Pro Mod Racing. Baseball and many other Professional Sport Leagues Major League then lower Leagues that play the same exact game with same rules. "IF" the TOP Pro Mod Racing Series in the World were running 1/8th Mile Distance it would Provide the following advantages:

1) Rules would be similar thus allowing teams in regional / local series to chart & compare their performances to the "Big Boys". Today we can watch a NHRA Pro Mod run 5.65 in the 1/4 mile and it will have NO relevance to the 3.75 we ran on same day. Different rules and different distance makes it a totally different animal.

2) If NHRA were 1/8 mile it could expect many more teams to find a way to run " With the Big Boys on the Big Stage".

3) Other !/8 mile vs 1/4 mile advantages come into play as well.....While any Pro Mod Drag Racing is Dangerous you can't deny racing half the distance at a lower speed would result in less crashes, less mechanical failure and also would make Pro Mod driver reactions even more key in earning round WIN. In the 1/8th mile if you can't cut a good light you going down.

Soooo much more to say and this has been on my mind for quite some time. I David Hance hereby suggest NHRA consider changing Pro Mod Class to 1/8th mile distance asap. I feel this will increase car count at NHRA Pro Mod events and I also strongly feel such a move would help grow Local and Regional Pro Mod Associations both in the USA & Internationally. These very same local series would then act as a feeder system supplying NHRA with lots of great Teams wanting to run a the Big Stage without having to change much.

Transgender racing 1/8 mile thee stands will empty faster than HUNTER's herion needle

·
Registered
3,116 Posts
Having raced both 1/8 and 1/4 in a promod the 1/4 is way more fun. The whole last 1/8 is a joy to feel that top end pull. The first 1/8 is fun too but that’s where the work is, cut a light but don’t go red, usually steering it back into the groove, making sure it’s shifting. After the last shift and you’re in the groove you can kinda sit back and just enjoy the ride waiting to pull the chutes.
We also found that we didn’t go through any more parts running 1/4, just more fuel. But we also run it fairly conservative.

·
11,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok 67 ShoeBox Indicates going 1/8th mile distance with Pro Mod Class would cause stands to empty & loss of fans.... This is a valid opinion and a possible outcome. However I Counter that with this Fact. Last weekend the Northeast Pro Mod Association had its 2021 Season opening event at MIR as an 1/8th mile racing Association. Keep in mind there are still capacity limits in effect, there are still lots of cars not ready and several teams still not willing to come for pandemic / virus reasons. Despite this the spectator count was better than We've scene is a long time. Before Switching to 1/8th mile Northeast Pro Mod had difficulty attracting full field of cars. No since switching to 1/8th mile the Northeast Pro Mod Association has had full field of cars ( 16 or more ) at every single event during a pandemic !! And I might add the cars are top quality and the quickest / tightest field ever ! What does this tell us ??

I've been down this road before. A little over decade ago our Outlaw 10.5 class switched from 1/4 mile to 1/8th mile. Many said this would KILL the Outlaw 10.5 class and many where unhappy. But guess what.... the class survived, car count more than doubled, racing was great and yes fan/spectator support was best ever. Also note switching to 1/8th mile brought in nitrous teams....many who went on to win events & championships. NHRA Pro Mod & its run package is not reflective of modern day pro mod. Keep it 1/4 mile and enjoy the blower show cause there are now NO Turbo Teams & Only 2 Nitrous Cars.... or switch to 1/8th mile and have many more power adders involved, closer/safer racing and guys racing locally in Regional Series at Cecil County, Maryland, Tulsa Oklahoma, California, Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Chicago, Texas and lots of other places around the World could not relate to NHRA Racing and try to run there one day.

I once again ask....please share Pros & Cons of each as I'm sure I've missed some things. Please remember the goal here is to Grow Pro Mod, Keep Pro Mod Alive, Diversify Pro Mod ( more different power adders ), run distance & rule package where every single power adder has a fighting chance to get Win. Please keep an open mind and think about this...

Pretend for just 1 moment NHRA PRO MOD Switched to 1/8th mile..... what do you think would happen ?? My answer is increased car count, more Nitrous Teams, closer racing, more hole shot round wins, reduced oil downs, reduced accidents, driver reaction time much more important, in the event of brake / chute failure better chance to stop car. Please share your vision of what would happen...thank you in advance for taking the time to discuss this very important issue.

·
Registered
4,743 Posts
Ok 67 ShoeBox Indicates going 1/8th mile distance with Pro Mod Class would cause stands to empty & loss of fans.... This is a valid opinion and a possible outcome. However I Counter that with this Fact. Last weekend the Northeast Pro Mod Association had its 2021 Season opening event at MIR as an 1/8th mile racing Association. Keep in mind there are still capacity limits in effect, there are still lots of cars not ready and several teams still not willing to come for pandemic / virus reasons. Despite this the spectator count was better than We've scene is a long time. Before Switching to 1/8th mile Northeast Pro Mod had difficulty attracting full field of cars. No since switching to 1/8th mile the Northeast Pro Mod Association has had full field of cars ( 16 or more ) at every single event during a pandemic !! And I might add the cars are top quality and the quickest / tightest field ever ! What does this tell us ??

I've been down this road before. A little over decade ago our Outlaw 10.5 class switched from 1/4 mile to 1/8th mile. Many said this would KILL the Outlaw 10.5 class and many where unhappy. But guess what.... the class survived, car count more than doubled, racing was great and yes fan/spectator support was best ever. Also note switching to 1/8th mile brought in nitrous teams....many who went on to win events & championships. NHRA Pro Mod & its run package is not reflective of modern day pro mod. Keep it 1/4 mile and enjoy the blower show cause there are now NO Turbo Teams & Only 2 Nitrous Cars.... or switch to 1/8th mile and have many more power adders involved, closer/safer racing and guys racing locally in Regional Series at Cecil County, Maryland, Tulsa Oklahoma, California, Florida, North Carolina, Virginia, Chicago, Texas and lots of other places around the World could not relate to NHRA Racing and try to run there one day.

I once again ask....please share Pros & Cons of each as I'm sure I've missed some things. Please remember the goal here is to Grow Pro Mod, Keep Pro Mod Alive, Diversify Pro Mod ( more different power adders ), run distance & rule package where every single power adder has a fighting chance to get Win. Please keep an open mind and think about this...

Pretend for just 1 moment NHRA PRO MOD Switched to 1/8th mile..... what do you think would happen ?? My answer is increased car count, more Nitrous Teams, closer racing, more hole shot round wins, reduced oil downs, reduced accidents, driver reaction time much more important, in the event of brake / chute failure better chance to stop car. Please share your vision of what would happen...thank you in advance for taking the time to discuss this very important issue.
Dammmm real men are gone said in USA pussies now rule WOW NHRA 1000 feet pro mod now wants 1/8 lucky no wars we would be JAPANESE OR GERMAN :devilish:

·
OL 10.5 TTF
11,908 Posts
My two cents...I pay for NHRA.tv strictly for NHRA Pro Mod. I pay attention to NHRA Pro Mod because it's different, 1/4 mile. Make it just like the other 1/8 mile series and my interest will start to waiver. I feel like every weekend there's an 1/8th mile ProMod race on FloRacing, I rarely watch them.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Drag race = 1/4 mile

·
LEADING THE FREAK PARADE!
2,446 Posts
Absolutely not. You said it yourself, other major sports and their subsidiaries all operate under the same rules. Those rules are usually mandated by the top or major league. If NHRA is the top or major league of drag racing the other organizations should fall in line and follow suit. I think it is absolutely idiotic that NHRA runs top fuel to 1000' I thought that when they implemented it and I will not change my mind on it. I am also not a fan of 1/8 mile racing.

·
Registered
405 Posts
Lol at the 1/4 elitists. If you rarely watch 1/8 mile pm than you're missing out on epic races with Pro Boost and Pro Nitrous in PDRA.

I say that to say this, NHRA Pro Mod should stay 1/4 mile. It's a nice change of pace.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would leave it up to the teams to make that decision. I personally like 1/4 racing over 1/8 but I also understand the speeds are really getting up there and safety is a concern.

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree.
I like the ¼ mile but I also like the PDRA ⅛ mile as well. Racing is racing.
Years ago when Outlaw 10.5 was popular, they switched to ⅛ mile because of the speed on a small tire. They still are going over 200 Mph.

I'd say let the drivers decide. Not my place to say.
I'm sure Nhra would like to keep it ¼ mile.

Just a fan, I have only been high 170's in a lawn dart, so I have no say.

·
11,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Based on the comments most posters would rather see NHRA Pro Mod Stay 1/4 Mile and that is fine. To those who question the Man-Hood of those either running 1/8th mile or Suggesting NHRA Consider running 1/8th Mile it is simply NOT the case. In my case and in my own Opinion I feel Strongly that NHRA Pro Mod class would remain the top draw and Premier place to run Pro Mod even if it switched to 1/8th Mile. I was told people in the NORTH would never stand for 1/8th mile Outlaw 10.5 class....well when Outlaw 10.5 switched to 1/8th mile we got more cars, better / more competitive racing and guess what ??? Lots more fans tooo ! Northeast Pro Mod Association for years would not even consider 1/8th mile...would not even put it out for a membership vote..... after almost 30 years as an Association the NE Pro Mod deal was on life support with not many cars, poor show and almost ready to shut down. NE Pro Mod Switched to 1/8th mile.... full fields of cars during Pandemic year, 16 car qualified fields as tight as a tenth and usually within 2 tenths as opposed to 1 second differences in 1/4 mile fields. Time will tell.... I believe the NORTH East Pro Mod Association may attract more than 30 entries at an event this 2021 Season.... and I don't believe we can question the "Man Hood" of Any of the Drivers in attendance.

I would agree Change is Hard but some of you should agree that Change is also Necessary at times.... I agree the feelings & opinions of the guys Currently Running NHRA Pro Mod should be given upmost Consideration. However.... Drag Racers are NOT rule makers. Put up $$, Rules and provide a great venue with lots of fan support and Racers will come. Just my Opinion...

·
11,830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It can depend on type of power adder you run..... Our Nitrous stuff beat up on stuff 1/4 mile but not as much 1/8th. More than half oil downs / engine failures occur after 1/8th mile...usually around 1000 based on our observations. In the event of Chute failure you stand much better chance of stopping the car in 1/8th mile event than 1/4 mile....simple chute failure can cost you entire car or significant $$ to repair car if it happens 1/4 mile.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts