Yellow Bullet Forums banner

41 - 60 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Many people don't realize that Mauri's dad, Mauri Rose Sr. won three Indy 500's. He later ran a Chrysler Hemi powered dragster in comp. Mauri Jr. ran C/D for many years.

·
A.K.A. MEAN Matt
3,581 Posts
He ran a black and white 55 Chevy hardtop in MP. He was the only modified car I ever saw Q-Jets on a tunnel ram.
I wonder how that worked out. Q-jets on a tunnel ram.

MP just had alot of cool combo's and stuff that you just don't see anymore. Cool class.

Anyone wonder what it would look like today if they were to bring it back?

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Caroll Caudle won a world championship with that car in that trim. I knew ole man Rose had won Indy. That name is one of the oldest running names in Drag Racing if you have been around more than a couple weeks....lol I believe seniors first major win was at Pomona.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Dennis Tracy still has one in his m/p corvette the way he last raced it in the 70,s it has been sitting on a hoist for as long as I can remember !
If I remember corectly it was the first one joe made out of two toploaders

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Zynda-he is racing a little bit in Super Comp with a dragster and Super Gas with a 94 Cavalier. Was told he was trying to sell all his stuff. He had the cleanest 68 Camaro in E/MP. Still at it at the Ring and Pinion shop.
We bought the 68 back in about 88, bracket and street raced it, that car was so acid dipped you could see a trouble lite through the door and punch a screwdriver through the subframe needles to say it was bad fast with a bb/ auto, would hook anywhere!

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Last I heard its still around det somewhere sitting in a garage its apretty car but dont think it will handle the hp of today!

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Oh no, it wouldn't handle it. But it would make a nice nostalgia car. They do have organizations out there that are doing the modified thing. It would be cool. If that car was in close to the same shape as when Leo had it, I would buy it. I really liked that car alot. I got alot of pics when Leo owned it.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Zynda-he is racing a little bit in Super Comp with a dragster and Super Gas with a 94 Cavalier. Was told he was trying to sell all his stuff. He had the cleanest 68 Camaro in E/MP. Still at it at the Ring and Pinion shop.
I didn't know leo was getting out.
My dad Neil ''Pappy'' Ellis was a long time modified racer and held alot of NHRA records.In modified, We used the liberty trans.Joe liberty is a local guy.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I didn't know your Dad, but my friend did and he introduced you to me at a Milan Friday deal. We used to have a ton of racers in this area back in the day. Are you done with Comp or just taking a break?

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Have not seen the car since 89 we repainted and wired it then sold it and replaced it with the one in my avitar but thats a whole nother story!

·
Friendly Shit Stirrer
17,285 Posts
I spent most of the day yesterday at one of the best Modified drivers. Buddy Ingersoll. We talked about how his little turbo pinto ran. Before Buddy was through running that car/combo nhra had him at 18.50 pounds per cu in.

·
Eddie Haskell
7,847 Posts
I didn't know leo was getting out.
My dad Neil ''Pappy'' Ellis was a long time modified racer and held alot of NHRA records.In modified, We used the liberty trans.Joe liberty is a local guy.

I used to hang with Eric Williams. I remember your dad driving a coupe that had 180 degree headers going up the windshield that I think Joe Liberty owned. Dan Parker in the dragster. Axenikus (sp). Krebaum bros BB/A. Hollywood Sam. And of course John Shumacher in Stan Rosens altered.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
There is a good chance that we met then. My Dad has known Eric since he was a little boy and has used Eric for balancing up until a couple of years ago until Eric's health issue. My shop is less than a mile from his house. I saw him last fall and think of him often. Real good guy.

41 - 60 of 249 Posts