Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 249 Posts

·
Registered
4,846 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
What trans did they run back then.I dont think they had Jerico"s back then.For sure they did"nt have rev limiters.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
I did not think they could use Lenco's in M/P ....no clutchless trannies
I thought they where modified factory transmissions or Nash's

·
Registered
172 Posts
I know Im asking alot of questions but I remember these cars when I was a kid.Can anybody tell me specs on the Small Blocks they ran like bore,stroke,heads etc.I would love to build one of those motors.I assume they are the same as the comp motors today.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
No Lencos in M/P. Most used a Ford Top Loader, Chrysler, Doug Nash and Liberty. I had a Chrysler with Liberty gears. Hurst Super Shifter. Shifted as smooth as cuttin butter. Used a heavy Scheifer wheel,Borg and Beck Pro Stock launcher plate and a springless BID disc. Dont forget the Lakewood blow shield. Enginew were on the line of todays Comp engines. Not near as much $$$ for them. Alot of 267-310 in. sbc for power. High winding bitches.

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
They're basically Pro Stock motors only usually 278-280 ci.
I actually preferred Super Modified because they required production heads and Fords killed them so bad:) they had to add weight and eventually change the rules to allow aftermarket heads to stop them.

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
Pounds per cubic inch class that rocked. Now how about a couple of photos of the baddest Modified racer ever-Paul Mercure! Doug Nash 4+1 5 speeds were the trans of the day, along with a Long shifter. Everything from Big Blocks to 4 bangers. It was a wild time and man did they rev the snot out of them! I miss them days........

·
Eddie Haskell
7,847 Posts
Pounds per cubic inch class that rocked. Now how about a couple of photos of the baddest Modified racer ever-Paul Mercure! Doug Nash 4+1 5 speeds were the trans of the day, along with a Long shifter. Everything from Big Blocks to 4 bangers. It was a wild time and man did they rev the snot out of them! I miss them days........

Merc=over 10,000 RPM Checkmate! And the guys from Ohio Wittco Bros.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Kevin, a friend bought the Checkmate C/MP car in 73 from Paul. According to Keener he has moved somewhere in Az. and has a shop and may be playing again. I saw him at INDY in 96 running A/S in a 67 Camaro. He beat that bitch to death behind the starting line like the old days. I think the S/M classes the one guy is talking about was the early days when you could only run one carb. That was when Rickie Smith ran the Maverick and Lingenfelter bought the Bose and Torres Nova. He put one of his engines in and dominated the class for a while. Never will forget the iron headed 267 I had. You had to be a Bill Jenkins then to have an aluminum headed engine. Used the Edelbrock TR1-Y tunnel ram with a couple Ed Hecht prepared 660 center squirters on it. Had to have the Accel BEI ignition....lol We need a stritctly regulated class like that again. Ya think you could get 100k tied up in a leaf spring slapper bar car?

1 - 20 of 249 Posts