Yellow Bullet Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if they will make an exception to the rule that the passes have to be made at a NHRA track? The closest one to me is 5 hours away.

also- can i go to a 1/4 mile track and make 1/8th mile passes for my test? I am getting the ET license, so they allow it to be an 1/8th mile track, but i don't know if they would allow 1/8th mile passes at a 1/4 mile track. My car will make the 1/4 mile, but i have to turn it really hard and hate to do that for 6 passes if i can help it.
I have tried calling the office for the last few days with no luck.

·
Registered
27,956 Posts
1/8 Mile

I wonder if that would make a difference? I never thought about it.

·
T/S 368E
35,385 Posts

Unless it changed, it must be an NHRA track, with the proper NHRA approved track personel witnessing.
Could you still run 9.99 if you ran it out to almost redline & cruised on home for the 1/4??
You don't have to set any records, just 9.99. Good luck & have a nice tow. Sorry, couldn't help myself. 5 hours, yuck.

Just thought of something. Call a different division office & ask.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Unless it changed, it must be an NHRA track, with the proper NHRA approved track personel witnessing.
Could you still run 9.99 if you ran it out to almost redline & cruised on home for the 1/4??
You don't have to set any records, just 9.99. Good luck & have a nice tow. Sorry, couldn't help myself. 5 hours, yuck.

Just thought of something. Call a different division office & ask.

i believe you are right- i haven't been able to get in touch with NHRA, but best i can gather from others, it is going to have to be a NHRA track.
I have a new outlaw radial car being built now- i was hoping to not have to get my license in it and trying to test the car at the same time- it would be nice if i could get the license before the car is done.
I have a little street car that will go low 9's- i guess i could cut the gas off in high gear and get it through there a little easier. I ran it through the 1/4 Wednesday night for the first time and had to turn it awful hard. I usually just run it in the 1/8th or in the street.

·
T/S 368E
35,385 Posts
I'd to the same thing if i could get all of the runs in a day to get the 1/4 mile licensing just in case you want to another race from your local track

If you get your license at a 1/8th mile track, it's good for a 1/4 mile track in the same class. So he can get his at either.
Only the faster & professional class' must be done on a 1/4 mile track. Again, unless they changed it.

Forgot to mention, if you tell them you have been racing your car a long time at NON nhra tracks.
They will usually only make you do 3 pass' instead of 6. If they think you're a newbie, they'll want 6.
At least that's what they did around here. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you get your license at a 1/8th mile track, it's good for a 1/4 mile track in the same class. So he can get his at either.
Only the faster & professional class' must be done on a 1/4 mile track. Again, unless they changed it.

Forgot to mention, if you tell them you have been racing your car a long time at NON nhra tracks.
They will usually only make you do 3 pass' instead of 6. If they think you're a newbie, they'll want 6.
At least that's what they did around here. Good luck.

yep- you are absoultely right- 1/8th mile passes still get you licensed to 7.50 in the 1/4.

That would be great if they let me just do 3 passes- if i have to go 5 hours to do it, i am going to want to get them all done in one trip- 6 beatings on the car in a short period of time would suck but i guess i will have to do what i have to do.

I wish they would let an IHRA license transfer- i have 5 IHRA tracks within 2 hours of my house (2 within 45 minutes). I could get it and then transfer it.

·
Banned
18,113 Posts
You only need to make your final two passes quicker than 10.000. The first 4 are only partial passes so why worry?
The five hour tow sucks, but just get it done on one day. You can do it in any car as long as it is certified and legit to go as quick as the liscense you are applying for.

·
ProStock Jackstand Winner
25,123 Posts
It will only take one day... I did mine in 6 passes.
2 launches, 2 moderate (500-600ft) and then 2 full passes in the 1/4.
I never even laid into the throttle until the last 2 passes.

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
As far as I know every pass has to be made and signed off, i have never seen NHRA let you make less passes for your first license.

Also bring your physical with you when you make the passes. I made all 6 passes at an 1/8 mile track in under 3 hours along with a chassis cert as well. Naturally I wouldnt go on a busy day with a big event..

·
T/S 368E
35,385 Posts

Good tip Kevin, guys might forget about the chassis sticker.

A lot of tracks let you do 3 pass' if you ask 1st. Like I mentioned, if you tell them you have been racing at the other tracks for a while.
I have never seen them say no at Byron or RT 66. It has been mentioned online before also.
Every track is different & they don't have to do anything. You won't know if you don't ask.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
thanks for all the info-
the 5 hour drive for a license part sucks. (for some reason 5 hours isn't too far when you are going to race- funny how that works)not only do i have to go 5 hours, but i have to talk 2 buddies with licenses into going with me just to witness and sign off. i'll be damned if i'm making the drive and banking on someone i don't know to show up and witness my passes.
oh well, looks like i will hook up and make the trip soon.

·
Drunk and Disorderly
2,251 Posts
Tell em you just want to do 1000 ft for safety :smt093

·
Banned
18,113 Posts
You have to make six passes. The timeslips must be sent-in with the application. I do not think that is just a Division 1 thing either. Make sure with your division first. NHRA dots all their I's and crosses all their T's. You miss one thing on that form and it's coming back.

Good luck and have fun! This liscensing thing is what got me using nitrous! 10.01/10.02 @ 135+ didn't count. 100 shot later, 9.5's with NICE wheelstands and I was done! AND HOOKED!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts