Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How does everyone get around the NHRA rule that specifically states "Computers [except for OEM] are prohibited in all ET brackets?" So,how can you have any kind of EFI in bracket racing?

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I’m not sure, but I believe it’s because NHRA has a separate set of rules for TS. While TS and TD are dial in classes, I don’t think the rules for bracket classes apply to TS and TD unless specified. You’d want to check the specific rules for electronics in there first. It will refer back to general rules (and usually give the applicable section) when something isn’t specified in the TS portion of the rules.

·
Registered
6,693 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’m not sure, but I believe it’s because NHRA has a separate set of rules for TS. While TS and TD are dial in classes, I don’t think the rules for bracket classes apply to TS and TD unless specified. You’d want to check the specific rules for electronics in there first. It will refer back to general rules (and usually give the applicable section) when something isn’t specified in the TS portion of the rules.
Thanks ,I am shying away from asking my local D4 director as I have thousands of dollars invested in a Motec M84 and all the sensors for logging. Just cant believe they would outlaw aftermarket ECUs in bracket racing.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I talked to the guys from D3 a little about it after they were checking ignition boxes at St Louis 3 years ago to make sure Everyone had the legal digital 7 box and people with the Grid didn’t had the fractions control module. They had a plug in to check the msd units. They said they had an approved list of “legal” TS EFI systems or the ability and authority to check to make sure the traction control was disabled.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Fuel injection rules are under the general regulations section of the rule book. Under support group 9:1 Computer

Per Class Requirements, OEM or Aftermarket OEM-type electronic fuel injection permitted. Electronic fuel injection must be closed, OEM-type system; i.e., may monitor only engine functions. Monitoring of vehicle performance criteria, wheel speed, driveshaft speed, vehicle acceleration, etc. by fuel injection system prohibited.

I have run a Fast XFI for 8-10 years without issue.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
I'm really glad you guys posted this. I was thinking about consolidating everything I have on the RacePak into the MS3 fuel injection data recording. But that would include the driveshaft sensor, which would be a no go!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm really glad you guys posted this. I was thinking about consolidating everything I have on the RacePak into the MS3 fuel injection data recording. But that would include the driveshaft sensor, which would be a no go!
Wellllll, That's a gray area. If your driveshaft sensor is on the Racepak, then it is monitoring the drive shaft. The EFI is not monitoring the drive shaft per the rules. I would think that the Racepak, untouched would keep that information in the racepak and not broadcast it.

·
Registered
6,565 Posts
Wellllll, That's a gray area. If your driveshaft sensor is on the Racepak, then it is monitoring the drive shaft. The EFI is not monitoring the drive shaft per the rules. I would think that the Racepak, untouched would keep that information in the racepak and not broadcast it.
I do think I am good with the way I have it. But I was going to eliminate the racepak, and collect everything on the EFI. It looks like that is clearly a violation.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Yeah, I don’t think it’s a grey area. It’s actually pretty clearly stated what is and isn’t legal. It does makes me wonder how many people are using an all inclusive EFI system and aren’t doing anything illegal related to performance (like traction control type functions), but are outside the rules and NHRA doesn’t check or doesn’t know how to check.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts