Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I have a 5 way harness in my 12 sec Mustang with a roll cage.

I'm going to a NHRA track in a few weeks and the belts are out of date, but it's okay over at the IHRA track is the rule the same over at NHRA tracks since the car only runs 12 sec.

There in good shape since the car sits in doors all the time

Thanks

·
Registered
68,873 Posts
Since you have the five-way in the car already, they will probably look at the tag when the car is tech'd in.
If you want to race, I'd change them out. Or another option is to contact the track's tech staff and ask them if your current belts will fly.

My .02

·
photobomber
2,512 Posts
General Regs 10:11 Seat Belts -

All cars not required by Class Requirements to use SFI 16.1 driver restraint systems must be equipped with an accepted quick-release-type driver seat belt...
This actually brings up an interesting question. SFI 16.1 belts that are more than two years old are technically "nothing". However, the same belt without an SFI tag is more than sufficient to meet the letter of 10:11. I guess it depends on the tech inspector, but from a liability standpoint, the fact that 16.1 belts have an expiration date is bad news if they let you use them past that time period. Tenfiveracer may have hit it on the nose...

·
YB Managing Editor
50,694 Posts
I agree.. I'm reading the rulebook right now and it says that any 3 inch driver restraint system meeting 16.1, with crotch strap, in all convertibles and in any car running 11.49 or quicker. Restraint system must be updated every 2 years of date of manufacture.

Does not say if the belts are in a slower car. But I bet if they are aftermarket belts they need to be recerted. You're better off leaving the OEM belts in a slower car.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
The crotch strap only has to be 2 inches. The belts must have a tag on them. If you cut them off thats a red flag from the jump. The tech guy will cut your car apart after that....maybe!

·
YB Managing Editor
50,694 Posts
The crotch strap only has to be 2 inches. The belts must have a tag on them. If you cut them off thats a red flag from the jump. The tech guy will cut your car apart after that....maybe!
True.. I just put new belts in and the crotch strap is 2 inch.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
i may be wrong but doesn't say if you have a roll bar/ cage inthe car that it has to have a 5 pt or better seat belt in it no matter the speed/time.

·
Registered
757 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How I was told in IHRA, is if it's not required to have them in the car but you do have them, then the date is not a issue just as long as there in good shape. I'll blast a email to the track to see what they have to say about it.
I don't have the factory belt system in the car and would rather not

·
Enormous Member
5,904 Posts
It all depends on the track. Some tracks are very strict and will not let you race. Some may give you a one race waiver. My advice is to call the track and ask the tech director ahead of time. The problem is - you can tell him you have a 12 second car...but he doesnt know that. If you have a 6/8 pt roll bar in it you are good to 10.00...and then they'd have an issue. I think the 2 years recert deal is kinda BS - but it is what it is.

·
Registered
471 Posts
If you have a cage you need cert seat belts, they don't care if it's a 16.00sec car. Plus you should have a window net with the cage..

·
Registered
14,206 Posts
Many years ago, I decided to put a five way harness in my car, rather than just use the original lap belt. No rollbar. When I went to an NHRA track, they wouldn't let me run because the harness was out of date. Didn't matter that the harness wasn't required (no rolbar and too slow to require them). They would have let me run with the original 1967 lapbelt, but not with a three year old 3" harness.

Do what I did and tell 'em to pack sand.

Must be one of those "written in blood" safety rules. I'm sure somebody was once killed when their 3 year old harness failed, but a 20 year old lapbelt would have saved them. :rolleyes: Take care. Tom Worthington.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have delt with at my local track. The said that out of date 5 point is better then 20 year old stock belts. and let me run. They checked with NHRA and got the same reply.

·
Drag Week Survivor
14,397 Posts
We use expired 5 pt harnesses in cars that are slower then 11.50... An up to date set is only needed once a roll bar becomes needed. If the tech guy gives you lip then just use your 40 year old lap belt instead of a modern 5 pt harness, it makes perfect sense. Call NHRA headquarters in Glendora, get the word right from the horses mouth. PAT CVENGROS, 626-250-2854.... I've asked him questions and have gone to the track and gotten my balls busted until I drop his name and then suddenly the local tech guys back off.

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
a Buddy of mine had a set of harnesses in his 12 sec truck that were out of date. The tech guy told him either take them out and use the stock belt, or get updated belts. If there in the vehicle they have to up to date, no matter the speed. Now thats not to say your track wont let it slide. But Is it worth the gamble of driving there, paying the fees, and not getting to race??

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
When my drivers side belt expires, I move it over to the passenger side. Then I buy a new one or recert the old one. My car doesn't sit outside much, but I could tell the difference in sunfade between the new belt and the 4 year old belt.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts