Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
16,471 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting colder here in New Zealand and my apartment has no HVAC system, not even anything for ventilation. It's actually a decent 1 bedroom furnished apartment in a nice area in downtown Wellington, NZ's capitol. Not real expensive but still costs over $1200 a month. But the only heat available are a couple of those small portable electric oil heater "radiator" units. Sucks trying to control the temperature with those compared to a normal HVAC system that circulates air.

I'm not sure when this building was built but it certainly doesn't appear to be more than a few decades old. I can't imagine building a 13 story building without any HVAC system or at least some minimum ventilation. :rolleyes:

·
Aviation Section
25,363 Posts
Top, did you look up any of our YB members there?

Get an electric blanket, they work really well and you should buy it there so you know it will plug in and work on their power. Me, personally, I would just need a regular blanket and sleep like a baby when it is cold. Dave

·
Registered
708 Posts
NZ is a leftie heaven don't get caught with the shooting vid or you'll be off to jail in fact to fit in you best put on a burka and a fag pride shirt

oh and do away with any and all independent thought that's also illegal in nz........

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Randy, after sleeping in the seat of your car for 7 weeks in every climate our country offers, I would think just having a bed would keep you comfortable. :):)

·
Mother Hen
50,958 Posts
Top, did you look up any of our YB members there?

Get an electric blanket, they work really well and you should buy it there so you know it will plug in and work on their power. Me, personally, I would just need a regular blanket and sleep like a baby when it is cold. Dave
Even better is a heated mattress pad. It goes under the sheets so the the heat comes up from underneath you and warms all the covers before you get in bed.

·
Registered
706 Posts
You poor barstard, not much worse than Wellington in the winter were the only good entertainment is watching planes trying to crash land at the airport, the wind is brutal around there.

·
Mother Hen
50,958 Posts
You poor barstard, not much worse than Wellington in the winter were the only good entertainment is watching planes trying to crash land at the airport, the wind is brutal around there. https://youtu.be/m0jnahV81AU
I believe I would want to land at an inland airport. The winds off the Atlantic Ocean here always seem to be whipping. I'm not sure why you would want to put an airport next to that.

·
Big Trev is a great guy!
16,548 Posts
Had a holiday in NZ back in 2004. Drove around the South Island in a camper for a week, then jumped on the ferry to Wellington. Planned to stay there 3 days....but after it rained solid for the first 12 hours we were there, we left. Windy, wet Wellington.

·
On the roller...
15,867 Posts
Get an electric blanket, they work really well and you should buy it there so you know it will plug in and work on their power.
Even better is a heated mattress pad. It goes under the sheets so the the heat comes up from underneath you and warms all the covers before you get in bed.
They're awesome until they set you and your bed on fire. Then they get a little warm. :p

·
Registered
322 Posts
I am enroute....whats your address?.. You guys can bag on NZ all you want, but it could be the prettiest country on Earth...

·
aka old_shoe
17,361 Posts
I think they drive on the wrong side, be prepared

·
Registered
493 Posts
Windy Wellington is a shit hole, only good is if your into politics otherwise it would be better off falling into cook straight.

NZ has hopeless home heating and insulation, I remember growing up there and waking up inside the house and puffing steam in the morning as a kid, they have tried to get a handle on it over the last few years by improving the building code, but everything is pretty much still all single plane glass and very minimal insulation in any house older than 10 years.

·
Registered
17,252 Posts
you would think with all the thermal shit going on underground the North Island would be tapping into that for their heating needs. I think there are some places in the Northern Hemisphere, close to the Arctic Circle who do it.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts