Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 555bbc in my 1968 camaro and it just doesn't seem to running like it should am i expecting too much or am i right on being dissappointed so far?
557 actually custom je piston ring land has been moved and wristpin has been moved gas ported tool steel pins 15:1 cr grp aluminum rods with a callies pro series crank bowtie block, stefs new race pan can't remember the part # but it was like $750 bucks, moroso billet oil pump, star machine vacuum pump set at 13in. of pull dart pro 1 cnc 355 heads with .035 shaved off a .294 .320 @.50 .827 .800 114lsa solid roller 7-4 swap cam dart race tunnel ram with two pro systems 1050's .035 squirters jetted .093 square lemons 2 3/8 to 5" collector headers, crank trigger locked at 35 deg. bg 400 with a 4 port for the motor 10 an line car weighs 3475 on a 29.5x10.5 slick coan turbo 400 with a brake. any other info needed let me know. so far it has been 6.01 at 118 with a 1.40 60ft it just doesn't seem right i'm hoping for 5.70's-80's at 120 before i spray it.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Awsome looking motor........more car pics please :-D I'm partial to the '68s :-D
though my my wife is a '67 model :-D not a camaro :wink:

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
What is the RPM range normally aspirated? I think you're asking a lot for the cam and intake you have on the car, normally aspirated, at 3500 pounds. N/A I'd say you're over cammed, over carbureted, and the intake you have is probably not right for the rpm window I'm assuming you're running in, and the converter that is probably in the car.

Yes we want the engine to be all it can be N/A but you have to ultimately decide what you want it to be... and the gear/converter package for nitrous will not lend themselves to an n/a ET. So all that being said, 6.0 ain't bad in my opinion.

1.40 60 foot with what looks like a car that is hooking, is the indicator that it is not acclerating. That is the cam/intake/carb and combination.

With one less carb, the right cam, and a different intake I bet it would be faster than what you have right now, n/a. But again, it's all in what you want the end combination to be.

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
well it is mainly a nitrous motor thats what everything was designed for and that's how pat at prosystems set the carbs was for nitrous it just seems with a motor that dynoed 957np and 784tq n/a the car should run faster. and the converter is a 9.5" nitrous converter with a 5000 stall. so far i have only left off the brake at 3800.

·
Super Moderator
35,256 Posts
That's decent horsepower. But in my opinion it would take over 1000 to make a 3500 pound car on small tires run 5.70's.

But I'm not talking about a power thing. It's an acceleration thing. You can have 1200 horsepower, but if it won't accelerate, then it's not going to run the numbers. That camshaft will NEVER properly accelerate a 3500 pound car down the dragstrip, normally aspirated in a 550 inch engine, in the rpm window that you will run in. Then you're throwing a giant tunnel ram, and asking it to accelerate about 4000 rpm below what it will ever want to operate at on the starting line.

That is why I'm saying 6.0 ain't bad for what I see in the combination. If I had to guess an ET based on everything you told me, I would have guessed it slower.

I'm not trying to make your combination look bad. I'm only telling you that for a normally aspirated deal, that combination would never work.

So crack open the blue bottle and have some fun!!

Chris

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Though I'm not near as qualified as Chris to comment, I toally agree. My car is a complete turd off the bottle. Mikho and others have "many files" on this very subject.
What brand of tire are you running? I couldn't get the M/T 29.5s to fit on my car, although the 295/65 radials fit......bearly :-D

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Rod Lenz said:
Though I'm not near as qualified as Chris to comment, I totally agree. My car is a complete turd off the bottle. Mikho and others have "many detailed files" on this very subject.
What brand of tire are you running? I couldn't get the M/T 29.5s to fit on my car, although the 295/65 radials fit......bearly :-D

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Good mph and bad 60ft times in a car with a working chassis is a good sign of to much cam.... I can't tell by your picture if it's a exposed belt dirve??? But if you have the p/v clearance you could run the cam up 8 deg advance and i'll bet the 60ft would go to the high 1.20's not sure how bad you want get it to run just on motor????? Becasue you will need to move it back when it's on the jug.....

I agree with the others every car i have seen run good on the jug was a total stone on the motor......

keith

1 - 10 of 10 Posts