Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my new turbo in and opened the package up today and notice slack on inlet wheel. You can see it move side to side and can hear it moving as well. Is this normal or should it be tight? Is a precision 101. Looks like it would touch the housing and if got any slack in it all all I know it would. Bought a brand new one to avoid the hassle of used parts

·
Registered
485 Posts
Alot of the New In the box turbos are shipped dry void of any oil. They will have some, what could be precived as slack due to this. Once oil is introduced to the bearings the slack with diminish as the Wheels will tighten up. It is normal.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't know if "Slack" is a technical term, but send it back!!!
I just went through the same exact thing with them, and they had to open up my compressor housing. You could hear the impeller "Ting" while spinning it by hand. Clock the housings in the direction you are going to run them and check it.

·
TURBOBULLET.COM BITCHES!
6,046 Posts
It's normal.. It's a journal bearing turbo... The slack you feel is where the oil goes... Like Josh said....

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I thought maybe that was the case or that when it heated up everything would swell a little and tighten. Just wanted to check with everyone to make shure.

·
Registered
3,336 Posts
I thought maybe that was the case or that when it heated up everything would swell a little and tighten. Just wanted to check with everyone to make shure.
Yes the thumpers will have a good bit of slack and will feel a little on the sloppy side when they are dry.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess if they ever got low on oil it would cause slack as well? Guess that could be how the last one ground into the housing! How would you decide when its time to freshen?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts