Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a somewhat local to me track trying to reopen. I-70 Motorsports park in Odessa, MO was bought by the same guy who owns Heartland Park is trying to reopen an old oval track and build a drag strip there. Was supposed to be open this summer but has since fell into the local govt running him around.
He is about ready to shut down Heartland park, the county is wanting to raise his property taxes from 30,000 a month to 50,000 a month. He has said multiple times they do that he will bull doze the place.
Anyway this is what was posted last week.

UPDATE:

Last night it became apparent Lafayette County Administration is trying very hard to kill the reopening of I-70 Speedway as I-70 Motorsports Park. We've been working with the County for six months and they now decide to engage an outside consultant to poke holes in our 167 page application. The County's consultant should be there to help the success of development, not to continuously try to derail a project and try to persuade the County Commissioners from approving something as positive as the redevelopment of the old I-70 Speedway facility into a new multi venue and racing complex. One would believe a consultant would actually visit the site he is being paid to discuss, but he never has. We hope the County Commissioners will make the right decision.

Your support is much appreciated and needed, including attending the next and final meeting on Thursday, March 28th at Berry Acres Convention Hall in Odessa, Missouri. Please arrive by 6 pm and show your support. The public hearing starts at 7 pm sharp.

If you have a free moment and or would like to help out a bit here is a number to call or email them and let them know you support the cause.

(660) 259-4439 or [email protected]

Thanks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Good for you for posting this information.
It really sucks when a municipality can't see the forest for the trees. I hope you and your locals will show up and support growth.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Sounds like the city has already made up their mind and are just making everyone go through the paces before finding a way out.

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
Its funny but you go to a track in a big city and it will be pretty dead. There are so many things going on that people have to be true race fans to go to the track. You go to a smaller town that has a drag strip or a dirt track and usually the place is packed on a weekend night because there is nothing else to do in the town. Why would any small town not want to have a place for people to go and something to attract people to that spend money in their town?

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Its funny but you go to a track in a big city and it will be pretty dead. There are so many things going on that people have to be true race fans to go to the track. You go to a smaller town that has a drag strip or a dirt track and usually the place is packed on a weekend night because there is nothing else to do in the town. Why would any small town not want to have a place for people to go and something to attract people to that spend money in their town?
Boy if that isnt the truth.
Gateway cant get 15 people in the stands on a weekend bracket race. Drive 60 miles south to I57 in Benton IL and the little mom and pop place is packed. Love that little track

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
I called and left a polite message supporting the track and mentioned the tax benefits to the county and their schools, law enforcement and fire protection. Damn Government! It’s Deja Vu all over again, same thing killed the track in New Florence.

·
Registered
14,979 Posts
The owner of the track should try to find something those in bed with the local gov would hate a lot more than a speedway.

When one of our local tracks was having trouble in an area of McMansions built on recently sold farm land the owner applied for permits to develop the land as a low cost townhouse development......local McMansion owners and the local Yuppie gov shit the bed and dropped their opposition.

·
Banned
16,597 Posts
The owner of the track should try to find something those in bed with the local gov would hate a lot more than a speedway.

When one of our local tracks was having trouble in an area of McMansions built on recently sold farm land the owner applied for permits to develop the land as a low cost townhouse development......local McMansion owners and the local Yuppie gov shit the bed and dropped their opposition.
I guess they were more nervous about mass niggerization than noise.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
It’s Deja Vu all over again, same thing killed the track in New Florence.
That was the guy trying to get it going is what killed it. He never had anything locked down and had zero funding. It was a pie in the sky dream that will never happen unless someone else takes it over.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That was the guy trying to get it going is what killed it. He never had anything locked down and had zero funding. It was a pie in the sky dream that will never happen unless someone else takes it over.
That idiot had the people willing to fund it they just wanted somebody else to run it. They knew he could never manage the track. Randy is the reason that track is not built and nobody else to blame but himself.

·
Registered
208 Posts
This is a shame. After what happened with KCIR, I must say that I am not surprised about this eleventh hour "crap" from the local government. You guy keep fighting and you definitely have my support.

·
Registered
8,028 Posts
He lost his partner, loss the land. He had enough to cover the SBA requirement, at least according to him at the last meeting I attended. Midniteta probably knows all the details of that train wreck!

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That idiot had the people willing to fund it they just wanted somebody else to run it. They knew he could never manage the track. Randy is the reason that track is not built and nobody else to blame but himself.

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
He lost his partner, loss the land. He had enough to cover the SBA requirement, at least according to him at the last meeting I attended. Midniteta probably knows all the details of that train wreck!
He didn't have a partner or any cash. He wanted someone else to fund it while he ran it and no one else but him had say in operations. I went to a hand full of the meetings and even the "Ground Breaking". Once it came out that he wanted someone else to foot 100% of the deal with zero say I knew it was a no go and I wasn't going to give it any more of my time.

Randy was his name, I couldn't think of it.

·
Registered
2,364 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Randy Moss, IIRC.
That is correct. Ask around for his reputation around his home town. Fucker made a killing just off of his T shirt sales for a track that never was close to getting off the ground.
It is exactly right that people where ready to invest but he would not give up control like I said above and so have others.

I think the other part that killed him was he was living in the past. He also did not present himself very well in any of the meetings at the courthouse either. Was kind of like a monkey fucking a football.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Boy if that isnt the truth.
Gateway cant get 15 people in the stands on a weekend bracket race. Drive 60 miles south to I57 in Benton IL and the little mom and pop place is packed. Love that little track
Ain't that the truth...its because they know how to run a program and are good to racers...i live 10 miles from Rt.66 in joliet,been running there on and off since 98 they can't get 200 spectators for a bracket race, on a Friday test and tune if you've got a race car if you get 3 hits in 5 hrs you're doing good!!!

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Ain't that the truth...its because they know how to run a program and are good to racers...i live 10 miles from Rt.66 in joliet,been running there on and off since 98 they can't get 200 spectators for a bracket race, on a Friday test and tune if you've got a race car if you get 3 hits in 5 hrs you're doing good!!!
We call Gateway, Waitway, for that very reason.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Looks like they are applying for a conditional use permit. If the surrounding land owners say they dont want it, it will likely die regardless of how many comments we leave. They revert to the landowners testimony when they dont want something. I will send a email, and wish I70 speedway luck in the meeting.
BTW, the website says meeting was March 21st? Do you have a link to the minutes of the last meeting?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts