Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to the turbo croud so I really don't know much about them. I've had several NOS engines and like to run my cars on the street. I'm looking at building a new 69 Camaro with a 632 with a 10.5 tire on pump gas. I've got a couple of my buddies that tell me that I can really fly with either twin turbo's or a large turbo on pump gas and it be more reliable and less maintance than a naturally asperated engine pushing 10.8:1 compression. I would appreciate any help or advise or thoughts. The car is going to be a street/strip car that I want to be stupid fast and it will have the suspension to handle the power.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Im sure you may alrdy have been told to lower compression from anywhere to 8.5:1 and at the most 9:1 but many people will tell you different that is just my recommendation from all the builders i know for a turbo car, and well either you do the twins or a bigger single turbo consider looking into a metanol injection kit, so you can run a little more boost on pump gas than just with pump gas only..

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Yea I know to run less compression and was considering 8.5:1. I've already bought my heads a set of -3 Xtra Brodix. Not sure about the methanol injecton?? Like I said I'm new to this. LOL

·
Registered
62 Posts
a 632 like that will make 1500 hp on pump gas with out trying. i would think twin 88s but that is 3000hp+ hp worth of turbo... to give you a idea i just built a pump gas 502 with the shitty crate motor heads and it made 975 crank hp on 8 psi on 93 octane.. that was with baby 72mm t4s. you may also want to look into some mid frame 76s for that monster but it will make alot of power on low boost. how much power and how fast do you want to go with this thing?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
to give you an idea...I have built fast street 69 Camaro's all my life. I'm 46 and I want to build my last car for myself and want it to dip in the low 9's or high 8"s. Thats why I've decided to go with the larger cubic inch and I'm over here in this part of the forum because I know turbo cars fly! But I want to be able to drive it reliable on the street and not a ton of maintance.

·
Registered
62 Posts
to give you an idea...I have built fast street 69 Camaro's all my life. I'm 46 and I want to build my last car for myself and want it to dip in the low 9's or high 8"s. Thats why I've decided to go with the larger cubic inch and I'm over here in this part of the forum because I know turbo cars fly! But I want to be able to drive it reliable on the street and not a ton of maintance.

my single 88mm(cast journal bearing ) small block mopar went 9.90s @ 142 foot braking 1.75 60ft on pump gas 10psi on 275 drag radial in a 3400 pound normal street car.

a 632 with a single 106 on low boost will make your car go deap into the 8s on pump gas low boost.. you dont need much. shit you can do it with a ok small block.. for the first time in the internet i think some one is under estimating what there car is capable of running lol.
pm me if you need some advice i do this stuff for a living

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
my single 88mm(cast journal bearing ) small block mopar went 9.90s @ 142 foot braking 1.75 60ft on pump gas 10psi on 275 drag radial in a 3400 pound normal street car.

a 632 with a single 106 on low boost will make your car go deap into the 8s on pump gas low boost.. you dont need much. shit you can do it with a ok small block.. for the first time in the internet i think some one is under estimating what there car is capable of running lol.
pm me if you need some advice i do this stuff for a living
Damn that 60ft sucks LOL!!! I guess I need someone to educate me my friend!!! I'll PM You!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I need someone to help give me the full details of what I need to do to go turbo! I know all about NOS and Nat built engines but I'm lost when it comes to turbo's

·
Registered
9,666 Posts
Number 1..

Get 632 cubic inches out of your head. Theres no need. Youre wasting perfectly good cylinder wall taking a new dart block to 4.600.
A 4.5 arm screws you. Rod angle sucks and it will beat the hell out of everything in the bottom end.

Back your cubic inches down to 540-572...preferably 540.

Put a 350ish cc head on it.

Edelbrock SV632 intake.

Pair of Borg warner S480 turbos.

Rick Prospero went 8oh's at 175+ on a stock block'd 468 with a pair of these.... in a 4200 pound car.. on leaf springs...

Theres no need to get stupid here. A twin 80mm'd 540 with the right pieces is a 7.90 capable combination every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Once before you drive the car to Church...once after.

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I would do the 540 with a single 118 simply cause a 118 looks badass and sounds like hell on earth
Put compression at 9.5 and drive it everyday
No need for radical cams or crazy springs so maintainance should be minimal
I would throw out the idea of blow thru cause I hate carbs
Efi works every time and about the same money when you buy everythingnew

1 - 20 of 28 Posts