Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Shot alot of skeet when i was young with a 26in mossberg 500 field. I want to get into trap and i can afford now to buy a nice gun for it. I was looking at the Remington 1100 Classic trap avg price $1200, also was looking at the Franchi Instinct L. Its a Little cheaper at $1075 and i cant help but feel newer and better technology than the remington. Questions..

1. Are the Remington of good quality or is it just typical run of the mill?

2. Franchi Instinct L only offers a 28 inch barrel, i know 30in is in the lead right now. Where will this leave me?

·
Sizeable Member
7,742 Posts
I can't comment on the quality of either gun but I can say that Remington's reputation has been taking a big hit lately with some of the stuff they are selling.

As an aside, I have only been shooting trap for about a month but I always hear folks complaining about guys using autoloaders because they eject toward the shooter on your right. It doesn't bother me but some trap shooters are real candy asses when it comes to anything that tales them out of their routine. Shit, they get pissed if they think someone is taking "too long" to call for a target because it throws off their timing and concentration. I try not to let anything like that bug me but some of them really get their panties in a wad.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea candy asses. Having been a bowler all my life I can understand bullshit up on the line lol. But thanks for the Input

·
Sizeable Member
7,742 Posts
Of course a reasonable amount of courtesy should be maintained (that's just good sportsmanship) but some folks let themselves get thrown off over small stuff and then bitch about it. I equate it to getting double bulbed. If you let it bug you, you're 1/2 beat already.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
Shot alot of skeet when i was young with a 26in mossberg 500 field. I want to get into trap and i can afford now to buy a nice gun for it. I was looking at the Remington 1100 Classic trap avg price $1200, also was looking at the Franchi Instinct L. Its a Little cheaper at $1075 and i cant help but feel newer and better technology than the remington. Questions..

1. Are the Remington of good quality or is it just typical run of the mill?

2. Franchi Instinct L only offers a 28 inch barrel, i know 30in is in the lead right now. Where will this leave me?
Either one is fine, you can probably find something even nicer at your local gun club for cheaper. If you are a decent shot, splitting hairs won't make a difference. I'd spend less on the gun and use the rest to get lessons from the local pro's.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,608 Posts
Is that Remmy a new gun or used? I have seen that Trap gun around, they are nice, not very common, it isn't a normal 1100, which I have.

There are clips made (I have it for my 1100) that easily snap into place and stop the shell from getting ejecting onto your Old Fudds Kreighoff standing to your right. ;)

If you are only into Trap, getting an O/U with the upper barrel replaced by a tall rib will help your scores, but they aren't cheap.

If you want to also do Sporting Clays (one of the best shooting events to do period), you would rather have an O/U. I use a Browning 525 for everything and love it! That being said, I tend to have better Trap scores with my wifes Rem 870 pump! Go-figure............ You need a gun that fits you well. Her 870 shoots a little high and left which really seems to help with the way I shoot Trap. My Browning does not act like that and I need to target the clays differently. It serves me well for Sporting Clays though.

I have watched really good shooters use pumps and semi autos for Sporting Clays. The Beretta semis are very common to use and are really nice guns, but start at $1500.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yea new price on the remy. Just due to budget kinda wanted to stay in $1200 putting Benelli and beretta out. What length barrel are you using 28 or 30?

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,608 Posts
Yea new price on the remy. Just due to budget kinda wanted to stay in $1200 putting Benelli and beretta out. What length barrel are you using 28 or 30?
I would have to look, don't remember off the top of my head.

If it is an older Remington but in good condition it should be fine. Anything New Remington===JUNK! And I have always been
a die hard Remington Guy.
I agree. I have seen those special Trap 1100's for sale used around $1000-$1200 though. They seem to keep their value. A regular 1100 still fetches $650+, the older they are and the better the condition the more they sell for.

All of my Remmies have real wood stocks. My 12g 1100 was made in the late 60's. Had to buy a few parts for it, that is how I learned the age of the gun.

Not sure of the 870 we have, but it is an oldie and a goodie also!

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,608 Posts
Fulton, I have shot along side old fudds using a 28" .410 and I am amazed at how well they do!

That being said, THE single most important thing when choosing a shotgun is finding one that fits you perfectly! That isn't always easy to do.

See if you can go to a local Trap range and talk to some of the people there, see what they are using, and usually people will let you take some shots. Bring a few boxes of factory ammo, some people are picky and don't want to trust anyones reloads.

Those Beretta 400's with the Kickoff system are really nice guns. I know it's more than you want to spend and I doubt you will find a used one, at least not very easily. If you lived closer I would let you run my Rem 1100 and see if you like it, I never use it anymore, it is my "loaner" gun when we go out with friends that don't own a shotgun. That in itself seems strange to me, I have many! :)

·
On the roller...
15,881 Posts
Hell, I've been shooting trap with an old Auto 5 because it's a gun I am familiar with. I do like seeing the multi-million dollar pieces out there. Of course the club I've been shooting with is in rural NY up near the top of the state. Everyone is really laid back and nobody says anything about my shells ejecting. It's a good way to pass the time while on a work detail away from home.

In my opinion, only so much of shooting trap is the gun. The rest is mental.

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
In my opinion, only so much of shooting trap is the gun. The rest is mental.
About 98% in my opinion. Once you have a gun that doesn't malfunction, fits you properly, and you know where it shoots....nothing changes except your mental and physical condition.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
If the OP can afford a "nice" gun, do yourself a favor and buy a break open with a 34" barrel. The balance and feel when tracking the target is so much nicer than shooting a converted field gun. My Perazzi paid for itself many times over. Plus, a field gun will wear you out with recoil if you decide to shoot a 500 target marathon event and then a 100 target handicap after it. Recoil reducers in the stock help but, tend to throw the balance of the gun off. So, while I can agree you could be successful with any gun, having a better gun does makes a difference. My scores went up with better equipment.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
I can give you some bad advice if you want.

It is pretty easy to "time the trap" to get virtually straight away birds. (someone said newer traps were random, not sweeping like the old style but I haven't come across one yet)

The down side is, if you are first shooter you have 5 shots where you are on your own and, if your timing is off and your expecting a straight away, a hard angle will really screw you up.

The purists will flame me but I rarely shoot trap so I need all the help I can get.

Last time out shot a 24, Sporting clays .. 18.

·
Registered
1,076 Posts
My recoil setup was $700 to buy and have installed in my 525, but it was worth it (to me).
Definitely worth it. Anything that helps improve concentration and prevent flinching is a plus. Plus, barrel porting can help with recoil also unless you mean that was included in your recoil set-up. I never felt I needed any recoil reducers in my Perazzi. The heavier weight of the gun and barrel position made the recoil very minimal. Stance is very important also. Can't try to shoot trap like you're shooting rifles. Sometimes hard to teach newer shooters you need to see the rib and stay under the target.

·
EFI/N2O JUNKIE
17,608 Posts
My Browning came with ported barrels, the recoil reduction was added later.

One nice thing about Trap is that it is always rising, unlike Sporting Clays which really vary in presentation.

I took my niece and nephew out for Sporting Clays a few years ago. He is a Marine, and initially had a hard time with it. I told him to go back to his football days and pretend he is the quarterback throwing to a receiver and lead the clay target. He then started to hit a lot of clays.

My niece did very well at Trap, 15 on her first round, 17 on the next, she really liked it, was only 15 when we did that. Used my little 20g 1100, nice and light, but does have a decent amount of kick since there isn't much weight there to help absorb the recoil.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I think im going to shop around for a new/used BT-99 30in. Seems best all around fit. Thanks everyone. Good Luck next time out !

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
I just found this thread and agree with your decision to pick up a BT-99. Great shotguns!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts