Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have got myself a engine built for nitrous to put in my drag car. so just have a few questions about setup. the specs are
450 sbc
pro systems stage IV dominator
brodix hvh intake,ported,powdercoated
NOS soft plume fogger stainless.
dart iron eagle block,raised cam,9.325 deck,billet caps
comp cams billet roller
comp billet timing chain
brodix 10x 23 , ported flowed,chapman CNC
eagle crank, eagle h beam rods (6.15)
diamond custom nos pistons (4.173 bore)
moroso aluminium oil pan
pro comp electri water pump
msd crank trigger
moroso 4-vane enhanced vacume pump
msd pro-billet distributer
the guy i got this of has said it has pushed a 3200lb car to a 8.51 @160mph 1/4 mile im putting this in my 2100lb celica
questions are
what sort of times do u think it would be possible to run?
what ignition system should i get?
is there any other things i should bu to make running nitrous safer on my engine?
looking to run a powerglide any advice on a good place to get one?
and what size exhaust would u run?
thanks for any help new to all this

·
RED ROCKET
8,634 Posts
the guy i got this of has said it has pushed a 3200lb car to a 8.51 @160mph 1/4 mile im putting this in my 2100lb celica
questions are
what sort of times do u think it would be possible to run?
what ignition system should i get?
is there any other things i should bu to make running nitrous safer on my engine?
looking to run a powerglide any advice on a good place to get one?
and what size exhaust would u run?
thanks for any help new to all this
if you can keep that light weight on the track it will be very fast...
msd 7531 on the new msd power grid
many places sell good glides..as light as you are with that small tire get a higer ratio low gear like a 1.69..i like ptc .
not sure on exhaust,i am a bbc guy

·
Registered
1,623 Posts
Sounds like a pretty strong combination . Two things you might want to keep in mind , always run a nitrous specific race gas ( not one that CAN be used with nitrous but one that has nitrous or NOS in the designation ) and when you're ready to race it , ease into it while checking all the plugs after EVERY pass . The plugs will tell you exactly what the engine wants or doesn't want .

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
X2 on reading the plugs , start small and work your way up ! I've got several melted slugs that prove this to be true.............. Fuel pressure and timing are very important as well , good luck on hanging on to that thing ! It gonna be fun.............

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
if you can keep that light weight on the track it will be very fast...
msd 7531 on the new msd power grid
many places sell good glides..as light as you are with that small tire get a higer ratio low gear like a 1.69..i like ptc .
not sure on exhaust,i am a bbc guy
Cheers for response does anyone know what sort of money it cost to but that ignition setup with the 7531 and the power grid? can u get them in a package where u get everything u need? As want to make sure I don't miss anything.also he ran a 33x10.5x15 tire with a powerglide with 1.82gears and 4.10 in the tear . When I got the engine he threw in his converter so should it be best to run same gearbox ratio or it's ok to change it. I run a 26x10x15.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Shit my car would fly apart if it ran that quick haha think I'll have to sneak up on it slowly. As there must be a point where it's just to fast for a car to handle safely. I do look forward to the challenge of getting it down the track though should be a wild ride.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok does this sound like what I need

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MRF-MP-4450/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-7531/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-7761/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MSD-8261/
Sorry for all questions new to drag racing only had my car out twice so have a lot to learn the engine that is in it at the moment is a 410 chev dart shp block and I been [email protected] so going to run this a few more times before I put the new 450 sbc in. Then I'll take out the 410 and put it in my street car and put the new engine in. I just found that running the times I have already was fun and addictive but was not really fast enough to give me a good buzz so hence new engine

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Also was looking at taking more weight out of the car as at the moment it's full glass so was looking at lexan windows side and real also got fibreglass bumpers that I can put on or is there a point where taking to much weight out slows u down more due to traction or something like that

·
Registered
5,027 Posts
if you got the cash buy a datta logger with advanced drag racing option it has lots to add as far as info for you to use, id say its lite enough

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
if you got the cash buy a datta logger with advanced drag racing option it has lots to add as far as info for you to use, id say its lite enough
Thanks again for response what is a good data logger to buy? Also can u transfer them between cars as I'm building a new drag car once this is done and would be good if I could just swap between them

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Any one know what time I may be able to run this over The 1/8th mile ?as im moving and closest track to me is a 1/8th mile track. Just about to put this engine in next month can't wait . Once I have this done I can start on next car that has been sitting there collecting dust.

·
Registered
822 Posts
If that fucker went 8.50 in a 3200 lb car, its gonna fly in yours. As long as it sticks. X2 on you being light enough!

If it holds, I don't see why it wouldn't do 5.20s or better

·
Registered
496 Posts
Thanks again for response what is a good data logger to buy? Also can u transfer them between cars as I'm building a new drag car once this is done and would be good if I could just swap between them
Racepak dataloggers are good .
I got the SD300 model - very reliable - never not had a trace.
Sportsman version is cheaper.
Can be transferred but might be a PITA to keep pulling all the wiring and sensors out all the time between cars.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Racepak dataloggers are good .
I got the SD300 model - very reliable - never not had a trace.
Sportsman version is cheaper.
Can be transferred but might be a PITA to keep pulling all the wiring and sensors out all the time between cars.
Cheers thanks for that I'll look into them now

1 - 18 of 18 Posts