147 gr ?
right now I just got a few boxes of 115 Grain

·
Age of Acquiescence
34,684 Posts

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
For self defense loads, pick anything off DocGKR (Dr. Gary Roberts') list of suitable duty/carry loads. Heavier bullets tend to be more barrier blind IIRC. Make sure your gun shoots them well. I carry and compete with M&P 9s and mine do not get along well with 115gr bullets whereas the heavier bullets are laser beams. YMMV so find out what yours likes.

For plinking pick whatever. Lighter are cheaper, usually.

ETA while I like your attitude, keep in mind that you can expect to pay up to or more than a buck a round for self defense or duty loads versus $0.20-0.25 a round for cheap stuff. As long as your gun shoots your carry load well, I think you'd be better served with a higher round count of quality practice using cheaper ammo versus less rounds of the more expensive ammunition.

·
Registered
8,168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I meant Weight ,not using hollow point for practice,for practice I will use FMJ

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I just rotated out my 124gr Gold Dot's for 50gr Liberty's. Most target stuff is going to be 115gr.

I prefer 124 vs 147 because in a Speer round, the 124gr is faster. The 50g Liberty's are really fast and loud with good flash. My P30sk actually likes the Liberty. Makes it come alive.

·
Registered
34,439 Posts
While it's true that 9mm 115gr practice ammo means less recoil and easier to stay on target with for multiple taps, it also gives a false sense of accomplishment. I want all my "practice" to be as real as it can be.
It makes no difference if you shoot just a single shot at a time, but mutiple shots on target in rapid succession? The weight and powder charge does matter.

I reload all my "practice" ammo.
I also make sure it shoots the same as my factory defensive rounds - which are 124gr +P.

I switched to 124gr projectiles and load them all as +P so the guns all act the same way while practicing as they would if I had to actually use them defensively with the factory loaded defensive rounds.

·
Sizeable Member
7,762 Posts
Heavier projectiles tend to give a little more perceived recoil too. Jussayin
I use Fiocchi almost exclusively for practice because it's cheap and clean but more importantly, because it's not anemic like so many other bargain brands out there. That being said, I find that their 115 has a slightly sharper recoil compared to their 147. Follow up shots seem to come easier for me when I'm using 147 in my Beretta Nano and my full size M&P. Not a scientific comparison by any means but that's been my somewhat limited experience.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
I've noticed minimal differences in my split times with 115gr, 124gr, and 147gr in a full size 9mm pistol. It's enough to cost you a match but I don't even notice a difference in recoil anymore... when the sights are back on target I work the trigger again. Again, I think volume quality training is going to get you further in your abilities than shooting heavier projectiles. Pay for a class instead of more expensive ammunition.

ETA: And of course there is a difference in recoil and split times or "power factor" (based on bullet weight and muzzle velocity) wouldn't be used for classification in the run'n'gun sports.

·
Registered
444 Posts

·
Registered
1,259 Posts
I use Fiocchi almost exclusively for practice because it's cheap and clean but more importantly, because it's not anemic like so many other bargain brands out there. That being said, I find that their 115 has a slightly sharper recoil compared to their 147. Follow up shots seem to come easier for me when I'm using 147 in my Beretta Nano and my full size M&P. Not a scientific comparison by any means but that's been my somewhat limited experience.
That's why I said tend to I know some ammo is higher pressure and can recoil more with less weight. But for most factory range loads. I'm the oddball and shoot mostly. .40 anyway (I'm converting soon) and with .40 it's usually the opposite. Heavier projectiles tend to recoil less... Isn't physics weird.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.