Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a video where the timing light had the degrees timing showing on an LED read out. Thinking about a new light anyway. (My set back light attached to my 1980's 1020 Sun Tune Up Center is about done for.) Anyone know what brand it might have been I saw. It was red in color but not like an MSD. Any other options to look for? Brands?

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found one that looks like it online. Neilson or Generac F04823. Only $40 so maybe not a good one, but it does have the timing set back feature The red Innova Pro 5568 does look like a good one. Timing advance and RPM show at same time. $100. Any more to consider? I do have the Actron $40 one and it works good for a baseline tool.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I found 2 places where Innova tech says their lights do not work with Multispark ignitions like MSD. Anyone try using them with MSD?

Needs to work with MSD, have timing advance, and RPM display. What are you guys using?

·
Registered
405 Posts
I used the sears dial back for decades, despite the media it would not work on MSD ignitions. Last ear I dropped it. I looked into all offerings. I finally decided on the MSD light. Now I’m kicking myself for not doing it before! Rock steady timing and super brute. I know $250 is a lot but it’s worth it.

·
Registered
32,433 Posts
Don't laugh. The $29, sometimes on sale for $25, Harbor Freight dial-back timing light works OK. The ones I checked against my distributor machine have less high RPM slew rate retard than most much more expensive name brand units. Cheap enough you can buy two in case one spavins up. I bought two almost 15 years ago and still haven't used the second one since I made sure it works.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
IMO, if there is one area in this industry where the KISS rule applies, it's with timing lights. I will not use a timing light that has dials, switches, print outs and or anything else attached to them. Keep the timing light simple!

Nick

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
I use the MSD self powered lights. Ive compared probably 20 of them over the years and they all are the same within 1/2 degree.
I do have an old Craftsman dial back that reads less than 1 degree different than my msd lights that i protect with my guns....lol Ive compared some digital snap on lights, and you couldnt give me one they were so shitty. its about .5 degree off at 0, and .5 degree off dialed back to 35 so it tracks perfectly. That is not normally the case however.

·
Registered
4,768 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I did buy one of the Harbor Freight dial back lights. $29. Problem was the wire leads were too short to reach the battery of most cars. I would not use this on any real race cars, just street hot rod cars and trucks. I guess that is why MSD does not make a dial back timing light. My old non dial Craftsman chrome light and my $39 Actron silver plastic light seem to work good on multispark ignitions.

·
Registered
2,572 Posts
For the past probably 35 years I’ve used a Sear’s brand timing light with no issues. They must be ok though according to what they bring on eBay these days??

·
UP ON JACK STANDS
4,158 Posts
I have an old Craftsman chrome timing light with the cord that plugs into the bottom and a plain Mac no frills light. Both work good.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I've had a Snap-On MT1261 for years that works on MSD products and I've also used it on coil on plug systems.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts