Yellow Bullet Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright, I have a problem. We jsut got my Camaro going, ans put the reasonably fresh 4l60E back in with a new 10' PTC torque converter. (3600 stall, retains lockup) When I went to move the car, it didnt really want to go untill I revved the snot out of it. Eventually, the fluid got warm, and it moved out okay. I checked the fluid first, and it seemed full btw. I got it home and noticed that every time I tried to drive it cold, the goddamn thing did NOT want to move. I also couldnt really feel it engage reverse or drive. Again, after driving it for a while, I could feel it engage drive/reverse, and it would move out under moderate pedal.

Ive never driven a stalled car before, keep this in mind.

Ive been smelling what turned out to be hot atf (looks like it was leaking out of the vent tube on top of the trans) since the first start up. I found a small puddle today after moving it. I also went to check the fluid TWICE in the last two days, and the dipstick was sitting out about 4 inches. The first time, I thought I forgot to put it back all the way, the second time I know for sure it blew out. Also twice now, Ive seen a ton of small bubbles on the dipstick.... the fluid is nice and bright red, but smells like it got real hot at one point.

I found out from the guy who put the trans in that he put a grand total of 6 quarts of fluid in the goddamn thing, including wah he put in the converter. The converter WAS seated all the way on the pump.

the 4l60E with a stock pan, a 10" converter and a B&M supercooler should take 11-13 quarts, right?

this is my question: could the leak out of the vent tube, the blowing out of my dipstick, the foam on the dipstick, and the excessive slipping I'm feeling all be due to an underfilled trans? I hope to fuck it is, since I just got the car back YESTERDAY. it has a grand total of 100 miles on it now.... and it seemed to drive fine on the highway. I gave it nuts only once from a stoplight, the converter flashed,locked, and smoked the shit out of the tires.

any input?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, mostly empty. he put 3 in the converter right away, and then put another 3 apparently in the trans, and it looked full. Even to me? I just found out today how much he put in....

It wasnt blowing FLUID out the dipstick mind you, but it seems to be blowing a bit out of the vent tube on top of the trans. the dipstick was just hanging out there.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Stock dipstick. I checked it wrong to begin with though, I should have let it warm up good, and put it in Neutral and then checked.

I drove it around for MAYBE 40 miles in town, and the rest was cruising on the interstate..... seemed fine at about 65-70 MPH though. I'm really hoping its not trashed. I'm out of money for car stuff for this year, period.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
called my buddy , said depending on which year pan and convertor start with 10 and keep checking

Thanks. What I'm going to do is this: It probably lost about 3/4 of a quart out the vent tube (if thats where its leaking from) I'll throw some more in it, and hope to god it operates like it should. Like I said, it smells like it got a bit warm, but doesnt look burnt at all.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Thanks. What I'm going to do is this: It probably lost about 3/4 of a quart out the vent tube (if thats where its leaking from) I'll throw some more in it, and hope to god it operates like it should. Like I said, it smells like it got a bit warm, but doesnt look burnt at all.
its foaming from the pump airrating the fluid from being so low, kinda like a ps pump when its low

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
Sounds low. One i have in my street car with deep pan holds a lot.

PTC is just a call away if you have any convertor questions. That should be a nice setup with the 3600+lockup

·
Registered
4,121 Posts
He put 3 quarts in the converter? I have never saw anybody with the patience to sit there long enough to put 3 quarts in a converter...

If the trans has 6 quarts in it including the converter yes it will feel very loose because the converter isn't filled properly and I'm sure the pump in the trans is cavitating due to the low fluid level. Yes it can damage a converter and trans.

·
Registered
221 Posts
GM transmissions charge the converter in every gear. Not like a Chrysler where you have to put them into neutral. Stock converter builds use 13 quarts. 10" converter builds can take 11 if you have the deep/stepped pan. 6 is nowhere near enough. Foaming of the fluid is either cavitation or too much and the fluid is getting churned by the drum/sun shell when it starts moving. Cavitation is going to glaze the clutches and then burn them. I hope it still works out for you after a proper fill. Good luck.

Stock dipstick. I checked it wrong to begin with though, I should have let it warm up good, and put it in Neutral and then checked.

I drove it around for MAYBE 40 miles in town, and the rest was cruising on the interstate..... seemed fine at about 65-70 MPH though. I'm really hoping its not trashed. I'm out of money for car stuff for this year, period.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
You cannot tell me that converter was locking being ~5 quarts low on fluid. I had a PI 9.5" 3600 in my 01 pickup and it started acting weird at a quart low.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It sure grabbed like a motherfucker the ONE time I hammered it from a stop sign! LOL I thought i was going into the back seat, on street tires!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts